Near Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- move towards; "We were approaching our destination"; "They are drawing near"; "The enemy army came nearer and nearer"
- not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances; "near neighbors"; "in the near future"; "they are near equals"; "his nearest approach to success"; "a very near thing"; "a near hit by the bomb"; "she was near tears"; "she was close to tears";
- very close in resemblance; "sketched in an approximate likeness"; "a near likeness"
- with or in a close or intimate relationship; "a good friend"; "my sisters and brothers are near and dear"
- giving or spending with reluctance; "our cheeseparing administration"; "very close (or near) with his money"; "a penny-pinching miserly old man"
- closely resembling the genuine article; "near beer"; "a dress of near satin"
- near in time or place or relationship; "as the wedding day drew near"; "stood near the door"; "don''t shoot until they come near"; "getting near to the true explanation"; "her mother is always near"; "The end draws nigh"; "the bullet didn''t come close";
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Near'?
Near Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Position is a way to explain where something is.
To find which is your left hand side, hold your hands palms down, point your index fingers and stick your thumbs out at right angles. The finger and thumb of your left hand will form a capital letter L.
Middle is between up and down and is between left and right. Middle means the same as center.
Left and right are called opposite sides.
Words and phrases related to 'Near'
'Near' example sentence in quotations
* The firm, the enduring, the simple, and the modest are near to virtue. - Confucius
* Great wits are sure to madness near allied And thin partitions do their bounds divide. - John Dryden
Click here for more related quotations on 'Near'