Near Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- move towards; "We were approaching our destination"; "They are drawing near"; "The enemy army came nearer and nearer"
- not far distant in time or space or degree or circumstances; "near neighbors"; "in the near future"; "they are near equals"; "his nearest approach to success"; "a very near thing"; "a near hit by the bomb"; "she was near tears"; "she was close to tears";
- very close in resemblance; "sketched in an approximate likeness"; "a near likeness"
- with or in a close or intimate relationship; "a good friend"; "my sisters and brothers are near and dear"
- giving or spending with reluctance; "our cheeseparing administration"; "very close (or near) with his money"; "a penny-pinching miserly old man"
- closely resembling the genuine article; "near beer"; "a dress of near satin"
- near in time or place or relationship; "as the wedding day drew near"; "stood near the door"; "don''t shoot until they come near"; "getting near to the true explanation"; "her mother is always near"; "The end draws nigh"; "the bullet didn''t come close";
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Near'?
Near Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Up redirects here. For the movie, see Up (2009 movie). Down redirects here. For the American heavy metal band, see Down (band).
Position is a way to explain where something is.
To find which is your left hand side, point your index fingers and stick your thumbs out at right angles. The finger and thumb of your left hand will form a capital letter L.
Words and phrases related to 'Near'
'Near' example sentence in quotations
* The firm, the enduring, the simple, and the modest are near to virtue. - Confucius
* Great wits are sure to madness near allied And thin partitions do their bounds divide. - John Dryden
Click here for more related quotations on 'Near'
Near Sample Sentences in News
- 'Near-Space Dive' Sets New Skydive Record, 25 Miles Above Earth
Google's Alan Eustace fell from an altitude of more than 135,000 feet, plummeting for some 15 minutes. The jump broke the record of 127,852 feet that Felix Baumgartner set in 2012. Read more on this news related to 'Near'
- Women, children caught in deadly firefight near Tunis
Women and children were caught up in a police siege near the Tunisian capital Friday, with "terrorists" killing one officer in a firefight, ahead of elections that have sparked fears of jihadist attacks. The confrontation at a home near Tunis erupted Thursday as security was tightened in the lead-up to Sunday's parliamentary vote, the first since the Read more on this news related to 'Near'
- Crews contain brush fire near Brentwood at 2 acres
Firefighters worked overnight to put out multiple hot spots still scorching thick brush in the Rustic Canyon Park area near Brentwood, officials said Friday. Read more on this news related to 'Near'