Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Navigation'
- the guidance of ships or airplanes from place to place [syn: pilotage, piloting]
- ship traffic; "the channel will be open to navigation as soon as the ice melts"
- the work of a sailor [syn: seafaring, sailing]
- Navigation \Nav`i*ga"tion\, n. [L. navigatio: cf. F.
- The act of navigating; the act of passing on water in ships or other vessels; the state of being navigable. 2. (a) the science or art of conducting ships or vessels from one place to another, including, more especially, the method of determining a ship's position, course, distance passed over, etc., on the surface of the globe, by the principles of geometry and astronomy. (b) The management of sails, rudder, etc.; the mechanics of traveling by water; seamanship.
- Ships in general. [Poetic] --Shak. A["e]rial navigation, the act or art of sailing or floating in the air, as by means of ballons; a["e]ronautic.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Navigation'
Navigation is the process of monitoring and controlling the movement of a craft or vehicle from one place to another. More literally however, the word "Navi" in Sanskrit means 'boat' and "Gathi" means 'speed'. All navigational techniques involve locating the navigator's position compared to known locations or patterns.
In the European medieval period, navigation was considered part of the set of seven mechanical arts.
The latitude of a place on the Earth's surface is the angular distance north or south of the equator. Historically, mariners calculated latitude in the Northern Hemisphere by sighting the North Star Polaris with a sextant and sight reduction tables to take out error for height of eye and atmospheric refraction. Generally, the height of Polaris in degrees of arc above the horizon is the latitude of the observer.[See more about Navigation at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Navigation'
Navigation Sample Sentences in News
- Tsakos Energy Navigation Reports Profits for the First Quarter of 2013 and Dividend Declaration
Tsakos Energy Navigation Limited Read more on this news related to 'Navigation'
- LinkedIn retools Web navigation to match mobile
The professional social network's navigation bar is now easier to use and more pleasant to behold. Read more on this news related to 'Navigation'
- NNG Enters Japanese Navigation Market
One of the world’s largest navigation software providers, NNG, has entered the Japanese automotive market with a deeply localized version of its iGO Navigation software. The new software version meets the demands of the Japan Market and delivers a wide range of Japan-specific features. Read more on this news related to 'Navigation'