Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Native'
- being such by origin; "the native North American sugar maple"; "many native artists studied abroad" [ant: foreign]
- belonging to one by birth; "my native land"; "one's native language" [ant: adopted]
- being or composed of people inhabiting a region from the beginning; "native Americans"; "the aboriginal peoples of Australia" [syn: aboriginal] [ant: nonnative]
- as found in nature in the elemental form; "native copper"
- normally existing at birth; "mankind's connatural sense of the good" [syn: connatural, inborn, inbred] n : a person who was born in a particular place; an indigenous person [syn: indigen, indigene]
- Native \Na"tive\, a. [F. natif, L. nativus, fr. nasci, p. p.
natus. See Nation, and cf. Na["i]ve, Nelf a serf.]
- Arising by birth; having an origin; born. [Obs.] Anaximander's opinion is, that the gods are native, rising and vanishing again in long periods of times. --Cudworth.
- Of or pertaining to one's birth; natal; belonging to the place or the circumstances in which one is born; -- opposed to foreign; as, native land, language, color, etc.
- Born in the region in which one lives; as, a native inhabitant, race; grown or originating in the region where used or sold; not foreign or imported; as, native oysters, or strawberries.
- Native \Na"tive\, n.
- One who, or that which, is born in a place or country referred to; a denizen by birth; an animal, a fruit, or vegetable, produced in a certain region; as, a native of France.
- (Stock Breeding) Any of the live stock found in a region, as distinguished from such as belong to pure and distinct imported breeds. [U.S.]
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Native'
The term "native" can have many different social and political connotations in different contexts. In some cases it is a neutral, descriptive term, for example, when stating that one is a native of a particular city or that a certain language is one's native language. However, in the context of colonialism—in particular, British colonialism—the term "natives", as applied to the inhabitants of colonies, assumed a disparaging and patronising sense, implying that the people concerned were incapable of taking care of themselves and in need of Europeans to administer their lives;. And in the context of Nativism, in some periods a potent political force, "natives" are defined as a (predominantly white) group deserving of a special privileged position in comparison to immigrants.
"Native" may also refer to:[See more about Native at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Native'
'Native' in famous quotation sentence
* Know most of the rooms of thy native country before thou goest over the threshold thereof. - Thomas Fuller
* The truth is that all of us attain the greatest success and happiness possible in this life whenever we use our native capacities to their greatest extent. - Smiley Blanton
Click here for more related quotations on 'Native'
Native Sample Sentences in News
- IAB Releases Native Advertising Playbook to Establish Common Industry Lexicon, Evaluation Framework & Disclosure ...
Native has become a hot topic in the advertising marketplace, but for the practice to flourish further, it needs consensus on definitions and structure. In response, the Interactive Advertising Bureau and its Native Advertising Task Force has released the “IAB Native Advertising Playbook” to serve as a consistent framework for the discussion surrounding native Read more on this news related to 'Native'
- Native Ad Workshop Leaves FTC Perplexed
A day-long examination of native advertising left regulators with no clear direction about how to police what has become digital media's hottest ad format. The Federal Trade Commission, which organized the workshop , has been bringing cases against ads masquerading as editorial content since 1917 (the first case was against a newspaper ad for an electric vacuu Read more on this news related to 'Native'
- ‘Native’ ads to drive digital media growth: report
The Interactive Advertising Bureau is releasing its white paper on native advertising Wednesday morning, just as the Federal Trade Commission Chairwoman Edith Ramirez is slated to start day-long town hall... Read more on this news related to 'Native'