Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Name'
- a language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- by the sanction or authority of; "halt in the name of the law"
- a person's reputation; "he wanted to protect his good name"
- a well-known or notable person; "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music" [syn: figure, public figure]
- family based on male descent; "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name" [syn: gens]
- a defamatory or abusive word or phrase; "sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me" [syn: epithet] v
- assign a specified, proper name to; "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader" [syn: call]
- give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months" [syn: identify]
- charge with a function; charge to be; "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club" [syn: nominate, make]
- create and charge with a task or function; "nominate a committee" [syn: appoint, nominate, constitute]
- mention and identify by name; "name your accomplices!"
- identify as in botany or biology, for example [syn: identify, discover, key, key out, distinguish, describe]
- make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention" [syn: mention, advert, bring up, cite, refer]
- give or make a list of; name individually; give the names
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Name'
A name is a label for a noun, normally used to distinguish one from another. Names can identify a class or category of things, or a single thing, either uniquely, or within a given context. A personal name identifies a specific unique and identifiable individual person, and may or may not include a middle name. The name of a specific entity is sometimes called a proper name (although that term has a philosophical meaning also) and is a proper noun. Other nouns are sometimes, more loosely, called names; an older term for them, now obsolete, is "general names".
The use of personal names is not unique to humans. Dolphins also use symbolic names, as has been shown by recent research. Individual dolphins have individual whistles, to which they will respond even when there is no other information to clarify which dolphin is being referred to.[See more about Name at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Name'
'Name' in famous quotation sentence
* A sign of a celebrity is that his name is often worth more than his services. - Daniel J. Boorstin
* Regard your good name as the richest jewel you can possibly be possessed of - for credit is like fire when once you have kindled it you may easily preserve it, but if you once extinguish it, you will find it an arduous task to rekindle it again. The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear. - Socrates
Click here for more related quotations on 'Name'
Name Sample Sentences in News
- 3 Routes to Register Your Business Name
Your name is your brand, so it's important to protect it. Oh, and it's the law. Read more on this news related to 'Name'
- Ex-magistrate censured in Messiah name change case
NASHVILLE, Tenn. (AP) — A former Tennessee magistrate who changed a baby's first name from Messiah to Martin was censured Monday. Read more on this news related to 'Name'
- Hello, Humphrey! Toronto Zoo reveals polar bear cub’s name
This morning, the Toronto Zoo announced the name of its 4-month-old polar bear cub in an adorable YouTube video. Already a bit of a celebrity online — watch some of his most memorable moments here — the cub now has … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Name'