Name Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- by the sanction or authority of; "halt in the name of the law"
- a language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- a defamatory or abusive word or phrase; "sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me"
- family based on male descent; "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
- a well-known or notable person; "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music"
- a person''s reputation; "he wanted to protect his good name"
- determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
- identify as in botany or biology, for example
- give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of; "List the states west of the Mississippi"
- mention and identify by name; "name your accomplices!"
- make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- assign a specified, proper name to; "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
- create and charge with a task or function; "nominate a committee"
- charge with a function; charge to be; "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing" ,
- by the sanction or authority of; "halt in the name of the law" ,
- a person's reputation; "he wanted to protect his good name" ,
- a well-known or notable person; "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music" ,
- family based on male descent; "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name" ,
- a defamatory or abusive word or phrase
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Name'?
Name Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Name is a word (or a set of words) given to things and people.
For example, cat is the name of a kind of animal. "Ryan" is a name of a person, usually a male. "Julia" is a common female name.
The word 'name' can also be used as a verb. To name something is to give it a name.
In many cultures, there are rules and customs about how to give a person a name.
Words and phrases related to 'Name'
'Name' example sentence in quotations
* A sign of a celebrity is that his name is often worth more than his services. - Daniel J. Boorstin
* Regard your good name as the richest jewel you can possibly be possessed of - for credit is like fire when once you have kindled it you may easily preserve it, but if you once extinguish it, you will find it an arduous task to rekindle it again. The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear. - Socrates
Click here for more related quotations on 'Name'
Name Sample Sentences in News
- Microsoft looks set to drop Nokia name from smartphones
Microsoft Corp looks set to ditch the Nokia name from its Lumia range of smartphones just months after buying the Finnish company's handset business. According to a post on Nokia France's Facebook page on Tuesday, the page will change its name to Microsoft Lumia "in the coming days." (https://www.facebook.com/NokiaFrance/posts/10152859354854703) Read more on this news related to 'Name'
- Despite Outcry, Ben & Jerry's Sticks With Hazed and Confused Name
What’s in a name? According to Ben & Jerry’s, the creators of Hazed and Confused ice cream, only a bit of tasty fun. Despite complaints from anti-hazing activists that the name makes light of a serious problem, the company says the flavor, which has been on the market for six months, has nothing to do with harassment and humiliation. Read more on this news related to 'Name'
- Don't Let History Of Kansas City Royals' Name Steer You Wrong
What's in a name? Bob Petersen, president and CEO of the American Royal, tells Robert Siegel where the local baseball team got their name and why the main event this week is not at Kauffman Stadium. Read more on this news related to 'Name'