Name Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- by the sanction or authority of; "halt in the name of the law"
- a language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing"
- a defamatory or abusive word or phrase; "sticks and stones may break my bones but names can never hurt me"
- family based on male descent; "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name"
- a well-known or notable person; "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music"
- a person''s reputation; "he wanted to protect his good name"
- determine or distinguish the nature of a problem or an illness through a diagnostic analysis
- identify as in botany or biology, for example
- give or make a list of; name individually; give the names of; "List the states west of the Mississippi"
- mention and identify by name; "name your accomplices!"
- make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"
- give the name or identifying characteristics of; refer to by name or some other identifying characteristic property; "Many senators were named in connection with the scandal"; "The almanac identifies the auspicious months"
- assign a specified, proper name to; "They named their son David"; "The new school was named after the famous Civil Rights leader"
- create and charge with a task or function; "nominate a committee"
- charge with a function; charge to be; "She was named Head of the Committee"; "She was made president of the club"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a language unit by which a person or thing is known; "his name really is George Washington"; "those are two names for the same thing" ,
- by the sanction or authority of; "halt in the name of the law" ,
- a person's reputation; "he wanted to protect his good name" ,
- a well-known or notable person; "they studied all the great names in the history of France"; "she is an important figure in modern music" ,
- family based on male descent; "he had no sons and there was no one to carry on his name" ,
- a defamatory or abusive word or phrase
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Name'?
Name Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Name is a word (or a set of words) given to things and people.
For example, cat is the name of a kind of animal. "Ryan" is a name of a person, usually a male. "Julia" is a common female name.
The word 'name' can also be used as a verb. To name something is to give it a name.
In many cultures, there are rules and customs about how to give a person a name.
Words and phrases related to 'Name'
'Name' example sentence in quotations
* A sign of a celebrity is that his name is often worth more than his services. - Daniel J. Boorstin
* Regard your good name as the richest jewel you can possibly be possessed of - for credit is like fire when once you have kindled it you may easily preserve it, but if you once extinguish it, you will find it an arduous task to rekindle it again. The way to gain a good reputation is to endeavor to be what you desire to appear. - Socrates
Click here for more related quotations on 'Name'
Name Sample Sentences in News
- Comcast Employee Changes Customer's Name to 'A--Hole' on Bill
A customer's first name was replaced with a profanity on their bill after they called to cancel a service. Read more on this news related to 'Name'
- Greece's Eurobank to name new CEO, chairman - source
ATHENS (Reuters) - Greek lender Eurobank (EURBr.AT) will name former deputy CEO Nikos Karamouzis to chairman while Fokion Karavias, a general manager, is set to become the new chief executive, two sources ... Read more on this news related to 'Name'
- Comcast changes customer name to A-hole on bill
Comcast changed a customer's name to A-hole Brown, from Ricardo Brown, on a bill after he canceled the cable service. Comcast is notorious for poor customer service, but this latest blunder might be a new low. Read more on this news related to 'Name'