Modern Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
- belonging to the modern era; since the Middle Ages; "modern art"; "modern furniture"; "modern history"; "totem poles are modern rather than prehistoric" [ant: nonmodern]
- relating to a recently developed fashion or style; "their offices are in a modern skyscraper"; "tables in modernistic designs"; [syn: mod, modernistic]
- characteristic of present-day art and music and literature and architecture
- ahead of the times; "the advanced teaching methods"; "had advanced views on the subject"; "a forward-looking corporation"; "is British industry innovative enough?" [syn: advanced, forward-looking, innovative]
- used of a living language; being the current stage in its development; "Modern English"; "New Hebrew is Israeli Hebrew" [syn: New] n
- a contemporary person
- a typeface (based on an 18th century design by Gianbattista Bodoni) distinguished by regular shape and hairline serifs and heavy downstrokes [syn: modern font, Bodoni, Bodoni font] [ant: old style]
- Modern \Mod"ern\, n.
A person of modern times; -- opposed to ancient. --Pope.
- Modern \Mod"ern\, a. [F. moderne, L. modernus; akin to modo just
now, orig. abl. of modus measure; hence, by measure, just
now. See Mode.]
- Of or pertaining to the present time, or time not long past; late; not ancient or remote in past time; of recent period; as, modern days, ages, or time; modern authors; modern fashions; modern taste; modern practice. --Bacon.
- New and common; trite; commonplace. [Obs.] We have our philosophical persons, to make modern and familiar, things supernatural and causeless. --Shak. Modern English. See the Note under English.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Modern'?
Modern Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Modernism was a cultural movement in the first part of the 20th century. It occurred in art, literature, music, architecture and drama.
Modernism is marked by a rejection of tradition, and an interest in new ways of doing old things. Also, there was a belief that the application of science and technology could change the world for the better. The changes began in the late 19th century and carried on until about 1950. The details differ greatly, and the term covers some movements which are somewhat contradictory.
Art is where people can find Modernism. Modern art is what replaced classical art. It included Abstract art, Cubism, Pop art, Minimalism, and Dadaism. It affected sculpture quite strongly, though at the beginning sculptors like Rodin and Epstein made both traditional and modernist works. Henry Moore is one of the most famous modernist sculptors.[See more about Modern at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Modern'
'Modern' example sentence in quotations
* The printing press is either the greatest blessing or the greatest curse of modern times, sometimes one forgets which it is. - James Barrie
* Interestingly, according to modern astronomers, space is finite. This is a very comforting thought - particularly for people who cannot remember where they left things. - Woody Allen
Click here for more related quotations on 'Modern'
Modern Sample Sentences in News
- Modern Mobility Aids, Inc. Announces Launch of Its New Website Focusing on Medicinal Marijuana Industry
Nevada-based Modern Mobility Aids, Inc. is very excited to announce its new website that showcases Modern Mobility Aids unique business model in the world of cannabis. Read more on this news related to 'Modern'
- Research and Markets: Modern Grocery Retailing Market in the US 2012-2016 Featuring Profiles of Safeway Inc ...
Research and Markets has announced the addition of the "Modern Grocery Retailing Market in the US 2012-2016" repo Read more on this news related to 'Modern'
- ‘Modern Family’ season 5, episode 17, ‘Other People’s Children,’ stills and synopsis: Male bonding
Jay decides it’s time to teach Luke how to be a man on Modern Family season 5, episode 17, “Other People’s Children,” as Gloria and Claire take Lily out shopping. Get a peek at what happens with the episode stills … Continue reading → The post ‘Modern Family’ season 5, episode 17, ‘Other People’s Children,’ stills and synopsis: Male bonding a Read more on this news related to 'Modern'