Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Moderate'
- being within reasonable or average limits; not excessive or extreme; "moderate prices"; "a moderate income"; "a moderate fine"; "moderate demands"; "a moderate estimate"; "a moderate eater"; "moderate success"; "a kitchen of moderate size"; "the X-ray showed moderate enlargement of the heart" [ant: immoderate]
- not extreme; "a moderate penalty"; "temperate in his response to criticism" [syn: temperate]
- marked by avoidance of extravagance or extremes; "moderate in his demands"; "restrained in his response" [syn: restrained] n : a person who takes a position in the political center [syn: centrist, middle of the roader, moderationist] v
- preside over; "John moderated the discussion" [syn: chair, lead]
- make less fast or intense; "moderate your speed"
- lessen the intensity of; temper; hold in restraint; hold or keep within limits; "moderate your alcohol intake"; "hold your tongue"; "hold your temper"; "control your anger" [syn: control, hold in, hold, contain, check, curb]
- make less severe or harsh; "He moderated his tone when the students burst out in tears" [syn: mince, soften]
- make less strong or intense; soften; "Tone down that aggressive letter"; "The author finally tamed some of his potentially offensive statements" [syn: tone down, tame]
- restrain or temper [syn: chasten, temper]
- Moderate \Mod"er*ate\, n. (Eccl. Hist.)
One of a party in the Church of Scotland in the 18th century,
and part of the 19th, professing moderation in matters of
church government, in discipline, and in doctrine.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Moderate'
In politics and religion, a moderate is an individual who is not extreme, partisan or radical. In recent years, political moderates has gained traction as a buzzword.
Aristotle favoured conciliatory politics dominated by the centre rather than the extremes of great wealth and poverty or the special interests of oligarchs and tyrants.
George Lakoff, author of The Political Mind (2008), argues that moderates do not exist, because there is no definitive political ideology of the moderate. Due to this fact, he believes it is impossible for a group of people to gather as 'moderates' as each would have different views. This means moderate political views to become mainstream would require a big tent form of party.
In recent years, many blogs and other postings have become available discussing moderate political views. Moderate America has attempted to define moderate political ideology in the United States of America. Some bloggers have associated moderate politics with the concept of rationalism.[See more about Moderate at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Moderate'
'Moderate' in famous quotation sentence
* In battling evil, excess is good for he who is moderate in announcing the truth is presenting half-truth. He conceals the other half out of fear of the people's wrath. - Kahlil Gibran
* A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks. - Thomas Jefferson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Moderate'
Moderate Sample Sentences in News
- Iran president condemns hard-line media crackdown
TEHRAN, Iran (AP) — Iran's moderate-leaning president strongly criticized hard-line judicial officials Saturday for ordering reformist newspapers shut down, highlighting the internal political tensions in the Islamic Republic as it negotiates a final nuclear deal with world powers. Read more on this news related to 'Moderate'
- Robust is the new moderate: Key FOMC minutes takeaways
Lately, there are two adjectives the Fed uses to characterize economic data points—”moderate” and “modest.” The Fed chose to characterize economic growth as “moderate.”i Read more on this news related to 'Moderate'
- Moderate Exercise May Cut Women's Stroke Risk
Title: Moderate Exercise May Cut Women's Stroke Risk Category: Health News Created: 2/13/2014 2:36:00 PM Last Editorial Review: 2/14/2014 12:00:00 AM Read more on this news related to 'Moderate'