Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mite'
- a slight but appreciable addition; "this dish could use a touch of garlic" [syn: touch, hint, tinge, pinch, jot, speck, soupcon]
- any of numerous very small to minute arachnids often infesting animals or plants or stored foods
- Mite \Mite\, n. [AS. m[=i]te mite (in sense 1); akin to LG.
mite, D. mijt, G. miete, OHG. m[=i]za; cf. Goth. maitan to
- (Zo["o]l.) A minute arachnid, of the order Acarina, of which there are many species; as, the cheese mite, sugar mite, harvest mite, etc. See Acarina.
- [D. mijt; prob. the same word.] A small coin formerly circulated in England, rated at about a third of a farthing. The name is also applied to a small coin used in Palestine in the time of Christ. Two mites, which make a farthing. --Mark xii. 49.
- A small weight; one twentieth of a grain.
- Anything very small; a minute object; a very little quantity or particle. For in effect they be not worth a myte. --Chaucer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mite'
Mites, along with ticks, are small arthropods belonging to the subclass Acari (also known as Acarina) and the class Arachnida. The scientific discipline devoted to the study of ticks and mites is called acarology.
In the usual taxonomy, the ticks form one of several superfamilies in the taxon comprising the mites.
Mites are paraphyletic. They include all members of Acari except for the ticks.
Mites are among the most diverse and successful of all the invertebrate groups. They have exploited an incredible array of habitats, and because of their small size (most are microscopic) go largely unnoticed. Many live freely in the soil or water, but there are also a large number of species that live as parasites on plants, animals, and some that feed on mold. It is estimated that 48,200 species of mites have been described.[See more about Mite at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mite'
Mite Sample Sentences in News
- Mattress covers may not help with dust mite allergies
By Shereen Jegtvig NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Based on two dozen clinical trials, U.S. researchers find that expensive mattress covers make no difference in reducing dust mite allergies or their symptoms. Up to 40 percent of the world population has allergies, and dust mites are thought to be one of the most common causes. "Based on this analysis which combi Read more on this news related to 'Mite'
- New to nature No 119: Osperalycus tenerphagus
An odd, worm-like species of mite uses hydraulic pressure to stretch and contract its body Even knowing that mites are one of our world's hyper-diverse taxa with seemingly endless anatomical and life-history variation, I cannot help but be surprised when I learn about a species like the newly discovered Osperalycus tenerphagus . It belongs to the family Nemata Read more on this news related to 'Mite'
- Ohio State graduate student discovers new mite across the street from lab
Acarology graduate students know the drill. Dig, lift, shake, sift and drop. Repeat. Again and again. If you want to find mites and ticks to study, you have to do the grunt work. That’s why Samuel Bolton grabbed his shovel, buckets and screens; headed across the street from the Ohio State University Acarology Lab on Kinnear Road; and started digging in the soil. Read more on this news related to 'Mite'