Mire Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot
- soil with mud, muck, or mire; "The child mucked up his shirt while playing ball in the garden"
- be unable to move further; "The car bogged down in the sand"
- cause to get stuck as if in a mire; "The mud mired our cart"
- entrap; "Our people should not be mired in the past"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot ,
- deep soft mud in water or slush; "they waded through the slop" ,
- a difficulty or embarrassment that is hard to extricate yourself from; "the country is still trying to climb out of the mire left by its previous president"; "caught in the mire of poverty"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Mire'?
Mire Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A bog is a wetland where peat builds up. Peat is layers of dead plant material—often mosses, in most cases, Sphagnum moss. It is one of the four main types of wetlands. Other names for bogs include mire, quagmire and muskeg.
Frequently, as the illustration on the right shows, they are covered in Ericaceous shrubs rooted in the Sphagnum moss and peat. The gradual build up of decayed plant material in a bog forms a carbon sink.
Bogs occur where the water at the ground surface is acidic and low in nutrients. In some cases, the water is got entirely from precipitation, in which case they are (rain-fed). Water flowing out of bogs has a characteristic brown colour, which comes from dissolved peat tannins.
In general the low fertility and cool climate results in relatively slow plant growth, but decay is even slower because of the saturated soil. So, the amount of peat increases. Large areas of landscape can be covered many meters deep in peat. Bogs have a distinctive group of plant and animal species, and are of high importance for biodiversity, particularly in landscapes that are otherwise settled and farmed.
Words and phrases related to 'Mire'
Mire Sample Sentences in News
- Cricket-One Day International Bangladesh v Zimbabwe scoreboard
Nov 28 (Infostrada Sports) - Scoreboard at close of play in the fourth One Day International between Bangladesh and Zimbabwe on Friday in Mirpur, Bangladesh Bangladesh Innings T. Iqbal c H. Masakadza b Mire 16 A. Haque lbw b Madziva 5 I. Kayes c Taylor b Madziva 5 M. Mahmudullah not out 82 S. Al Hasan c Maruma b Mire 1 M. Rahim c Chigumbura b Kamungozi 77 Sa. Rahm Read more on this news related to 'Mire'
- Matt Mire's pin clinches Catholic-Baton Rouge's victory over St. Paul's to remain undefeated
Matt Mire pinned Spencer Ward in the first period Read more on this news related to 'Mire'
- Masakadza hails Mire, Kamungozi
Zimbabwe have had a difficult tour of Bangladesh, but the performances of Solomon Mire and Tafadzwa Kamungozi have caught the eye of the senior players including Hamilton Masakadza Read more on this news related to 'Mire'