Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mire'
Mire Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot [syn:
quagmire, quag, morass]
- entrap; "Our people should not be mired in the past" [syn: entangle]
- cause to get stuck as if in a mire; "The mud mired our cart" [syn: bog down]
- be unable to move further; "The car bogged down in the sand" [syn: grind to a halt, get stuck, bog down]
- soil with mud, muck, or mire; "The child mucked up his shirt while playing ball in the garden" [syn: muck, mud, muck up}]
- Mire \Mire\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mired; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To cause or permit to stick fast in mire; to plunge or fix in mud; as, to mire a horse or wagon.
- To soil with mud or foul matter. Smirched thus and mired with infamy. --Shak.
- Mire \Mire\, v. i.
To stick in mire. --Shak.
- Mire \Mire\, n. [AS. m[=i]re, m?re; akin to D. mier, Icel.
maurr, Dan. myre, Sw. myra; cf. also Ir. moirbh, Gr. ?.]
An ant. [Obs.] See Pismire.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mire'
- Mire: Mire may refer to: Bog Poor fen Fen Dom Pesche in Golden Zipper's Survivalization See also : Mir (disambiguation)-
- Mires in the British National Vegetation Classification system: This article gives an overview of the mire communities in the British National Vegetation Classification system. Introduction ...
- Mire Chatman: Mire Dejuan Chatman (born October 24, 1978 in Garland , Texas ) is an American professional basketball player. The 1.87 m point guard ...
- Fran Mires: Fran Mires is a bilingual television Television producer credited with the creation and launch of dozens of television shows in English, ...
- Mire Mare: Mire Mare is an unreleased video game by Ultimate Play The Game . Underwurlde , the second game in the Sabreman series of titles from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Mire'