Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mire'
Mire Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot [syn:
quagmire, quag, morass]
- entrap; "Our people should not be mired in the past" [syn: entangle]
- cause to get stuck as if in a mire; "The mud mired our cart" [syn: bog down]
- be unable to move further; "The car bogged down in the sand" [syn: grind to a halt, get stuck, bog down]
- soil with mud, muck, or mire; "The child mucked up his shirt while playing ball in the garden" [syn: muck, mud, muck up}]
- Mire \Mire\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mired; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To cause or permit to stick fast in mire; to plunge or fix in mud; as, to mire a horse or wagon.
- To soil with mud or foul matter. Smirched thus and mired with infamy. --Shak.
- Mire \Mire\, v. i.
To stick in mire. --Shak.
- Mire \Mire\, n. [AS. m[=i]re, m?re; akin to D. mier, Icel.
maurr, Dan. myre, Sw. myra; cf. also Ir. moirbh, Gr. ?.]
An ant. [Obs.] See Pismire.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mire'
- Mire: Mire may refer to: Bog Poor fen Fen Dom Pesche in Golden Zipper's Survivalization See also : Mir (disambiguation)-
- Mires in the British National Vegetation Classification system: This article gives an overview of the mire communities in the British National Vegetation Classification system. Introduction ...
- Mire Chatman: Mire Dejuan Chatman (born October 24, 1978 in Garland , Texas ) is an American professional basketball player. The 1.87 m point guard ...
- Fran Mires: Fran Mires is a bilingual television Television producer credited with the creation and launch of dozens of television shows in English, ...
- Mire Mare: Mire Mare is an unreleased video game by Ultimate Play The Game . Underwurlde , the second game in the Sabreman series of titles from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Mire'
Mire Sample Sentences in News
- VGX 2013: The High Points
I didn't watch the Spike VGX 2013 awards last night, and I'm glad I didn't. By all accounts it was an absurd affair, doing little to help lift video games and the people who play them out of the mire of stereotypes that surround the industry and its fans. Read more on this news related to 'Mire'
- US bond ETPs caught in tapering mire
Net inflows into fixed-income exchange-traded products in Europe have outpaced those into US products this year, as concerns about looming Fed tapering weighed on investor sentiment across the pond. Read more on this news related to 'Mire'
- Truck, muck and mire
CATSKILL — The rain-soaked ground made things difficult for an auto hauler as he attempted to make a turn in Jefferson Heights Wednesday. State police directed traffic as a wrecker had to be called in Read more on this news related to 'Mire'