Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mire'
Mire Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot [syn:
quagmire, quag, morass]
- entrap; "Our people should not be mired in the past" [syn: entangle]
- cause to get stuck as if in a mire; "The mud mired our cart" [syn: bog down]
- be unable to move further; "The car bogged down in the sand" [syn: grind to a halt, get stuck, bog down]
- soil with mud, muck, or mire; "The child mucked up his shirt while playing ball in the garden" [syn: muck, mud, muck up}]
- Mire \Mire\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mired; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To cause or permit to stick fast in mire; to plunge or fix in mud; as, to mire a horse or wagon.
- To soil with mud or foul matter. Smirched thus and mired with infamy. --Shak.
- Mire \Mire\, v. i.
To stick in mire. --Shak.
- Mire \Mire\, n. [AS. m[=i]re, m?re; akin to D. mier, Icel.
maurr, Dan. myre, Sw. myra; cf. also Ir. moirbh, Gr. ?.]
An ant. [Obs.] See Pismire.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mire'
- Mire: Mire may refer to: Bog Poor fen Fen Dom Pesche in Golden Zipper's Survivalization See also : Mir (disambiguation)-
- Mires in the British National Vegetation Classification system: This article gives an overview of the mire communities in the British National Vegetation Classification system. Introduction ...
- Mire Chatman: Mire Dejuan Chatman (born October 24, 1978 in Garland , Texas ) is an American professional basketball player. The 1.87 m point guard ...
- Fran Mires: Fran Mires is a bilingual television Television producer credited with the creation and launch of dozens of television shows in English, ...
- Mire Mare: Mire Mare is an unreleased video game by Ultimate Play The Game . Underwurlde , the second game in the Sabreman series of titles from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Mire'
Mire Sample Sentences in News
- Mire Band asking for public's assistance in raising money for Branson performances
The Mire Marching Band is asking for the public's assistance in raising funds to perform twice in Branson, Missouri. The band marched at Disney World in Florida in 2013 and 2014. The members have teamed up with four businesses to help defray some of the costs: Chili's in Crowley - on April 24th they donate 15% from sales (the attached flyer is required). B Read more on this news related to 'Mire'
- Ofsted lost in 'mire of inconsistency', says ATL teaching union chief
Mary Bousted claims regulator incapable of reforming itself and inspection regime lottery reducing quality of education in schools Mary Bousted, the general secretary of the Association of Teachers and Lecturers, has accused Ofsted of being lost in the mire of inconsistency and being incapable of reforming itself. Bousted told delegates at the closing session of t Read more on this news related to 'Mire'
- Acadia Parish man face theft of crawfish charge
CROWLEY, La. (AP) — State wildlife and fisheries agents have arrested a 39-year-old man accused of stealing crawfish. Agents with the Louisiana Department of Wildlife and Fisheries' Enforcement Division arrested Jason P. Mire, of Crowley, on Tuesday. Read more on this news related to 'Mire'