Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mire'
Mire Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a soft wet area of low-lying land that sinks underfoot [syn:
quagmire, quag, morass]
- entrap; "Our people should not be mired in the past" [syn: entangle]
- cause to get stuck as if in a mire; "The mud mired our cart" [syn: bog down]
- be unable to move further; "The car bogged down in the sand" [syn: grind to a halt, get stuck, bog down]
- soil with mud, muck, or mire; "The child mucked up his shirt while playing ball in the garden" [syn: muck, mud, muck up}]
- Mire \Mire\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Mired; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To cause or permit to stick fast in mire; to plunge or fix in mud; as, to mire a horse or wagon.
- To soil with mud or foul matter. Smirched thus and mired with infamy. --Shak.
- Mire \Mire\, v. i.
To stick in mire. --Shak.
- Mire \Mire\, n. [AS. m[=i]re, m?re; akin to D. mier, Icel.
maurr, Dan. myre, Sw. myra; cf. also Ir. moirbh, Gr. ?.]
An ant. [Obs.] See Pismire.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mire'
- Mire: Mire may refer to: Bog Poor fen Fen Dom Pesche in Golden Zipper's Survivalization See also : Mir (disambiguation)-
- Mires in the British National Vegetation Classification system: This article gives an overview of the mire communities in the British National Vegetation Classification system. Introduction ...
- Mire Chatman: Mire Dejuan Chatman (born October 24, 1978 in Garland , Texas ) is an American professional basketball player. The 1.87 m point guard ...
- Fran Mires: Fran Mires is a bilingual television Television producer credited with the creation and launch of dozens of television shows in English, ...
- Mire Mare: Mire Mare is an unreleased video game by Ultimate Play The Game . Underwurlde , the second game in the Sabreman series of titles from ...
Words and phrases related to 'Mire'
Mire Sample Sentences in News
- Audio recordings mire Turkish PM in corruption scandal
Opposition leader calls for probe after audio purportedly of PM Erdogan and his son discussing disposal of cash surfaces Read more on this news related to 'Mire'
- Proteas in the mire at lunch
South Africa were in a spot of bother at lunch on day three of the third Test against Australia, sitting on 127 for four in Cape Town after Ryan Harris and company showed how unflat the pitch actually was. Read more on this news related to 'Mire'
- Smith ends with a whimper, SA in trouble
South Africa were deep in the mire at tea on day four of the third Test against Australia, sitting on 15 for three after Graeme Smith's final innings for his country ended with another wicket to Mitchell Johnson. Read more on this news related to 'Mire'