Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Miraculous'
- being or having the character of a miracle [syn: marvelous, marvellous]
- peculiarly fortunate or appropriate; as if by divine intervention; "a heaven-sent rain saved the crops"; "a providential recovery" [syn: heaven-sent, providential]
- Miraculous \Mi*rac"u*lous\, a. [F. miraculeux. See Miracle.]
- Of the nature of a miracle; performed by supernatural power; effected by the direct agency of almighty power, and not by natural causes.
- Supernatural; wonderful.
- Wonder-working. ``The miraculous harp.'' --Shak. -- Mi*rac"u*lous*ly, adv. -- Mi*rac"u*lous*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Miraculous'
A miracle is an unexpected event attributed to divine intervention. Sometimes an event is also attributed (in part) to a miracle worker, saint, or religious leader. A miracle is sometimes thought of as a perceptible interruption of the laws of nature. Others suggest that God may work with the laws of nature to perform what people perceive as miracles.
A miracle is often considered a fortuitous event: compare with an Act of God.
In casual usage, "miracle" may also refer to any statistically unlikely but beneficial event, (such as surviving a natural disaster), or simply a "wonderful" occurrence, regardless of likelihood, such as a birth. Other miracles might be: survival of a terminal illness, escaping a life threatening situation or 'beating the odds.' Some coincidences may be perceived to be miracles.[See more about Miraculous at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Miraculous'
'Miraculous' in famous quotation sentence
* It's funny, to me, the way people refer to childbirth as a miraculous event. A miracle is something that defies nature. Only, childbirth has got to be the most natural thing in the world. Top three anyway. But, on the other hand, when you think about it, there's really no other word that fits. Sperm. Egg. A coincidental meshing of genetic information that will grow something that could write an opera or cook up some Napalm. It blows my mind. - Barbara Hall
* Ed, we just witnessed a peaceful transition in government. Do you realize how miraculous that is...Today, tiny Cicely, Alaska, stood up and put another W in the win category for democracy. - Jeff Melvoin
Click here for more related quotations on 'Miraculous'
Miraculous Sample Sentences in News
- "Miraculous day": American Ebola patients discharged
Dr. Kent Brantly and Nancy Writebol, who were infected with deadly virus, recover after being in hospital's isolation unit for nearly 3 weeks Read more on this news related to 'Miraculous'
- Pistorius's brother makes 'miraculous recovery'
Oscar Pistorius's older brother Carl has made a "miraculous recovery" after being involved in a serious road crash earlier this month, a family spokeswoman said Tuesday. These included lacerations to his heart and liver and he also went into respiratory failure," Anneliese Burgess said. "He has made a miraculous recovery after specialist ca Read more on this news related to 'Miraculous'
- Carson Daly welcomes 'miraculous' baby No. 3, daughter London Rose
Total request baby. Carson Daly has welcomed his third child. Read more on this news related to 'Miraculous'