Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Miracle'
- any amazing or wonderful occurrence
- a marvellous event manifesting a supernatural act of God
- Miracle \Mir"a*cle\, v. t.
To make wonderful. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Miracle \Mir"a*cle\, n. [F., fr. L. miraculum, fr. mirari to
wonder. See Marvel, and cf. Mirror.]
- A wonder or wonderful thing. That miracle and queen of genus. --Shak.
- Specifically: An event or effect contrary to the established constitution and course of things, or a deviation from the known laws of nature; a supernatural event, or one transcending the ordinary laws by which the universe is governed. They considered not the miracle of the loaves. --Mark vi. 52.
- A miracle play.
- A story or legend abounding in miracles. [Obs.] When said was all this miracle. --Chaucer. Miracle monger, an impostor who pretends to work miracles. Miracle play, one of the old dramatic entertainments founded on legends of saints and martyrs or (see 2d Mystery, 2) on events related in the Bible.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Miracle'
A miracle is an unexpected event attributed to divine intervention. Sometimes an event is also attributed (in part) to a miracle worker, saint, or religious leader. A miracle is sometimes thought of as a perceptible interruption of the laws of nature. Others suggest that God may work with the laws of nature to perform what people perceive as miracles.
A miracle is often considered a fortuitous event: compare with an Act of God.
In casual usage, "miracle" may also refer to any statistically unlikely but beneficial event, (such as surviving a natural disaster), or simply a "wonderful" occurrence, regardless of likelihood, such as a birth. Other miracles might be: survival of a terminal illness, escaping a life threatening situation or 'beating the odds.' Some coincidences may be perceived to be miracles.[See more about Miracle at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Miracle'
'Miracle' in famous quotation sentence
* The spirit of man can endure only so much and when it is broken only a miracle can mend it. - John Burroughs
* This is the miracle that happens every time to those who really love the more they give, the more they possess. - Rainer Maria Rilke
Click here for more related quotations on 'Miracle'
Miracle Sample Sentences in News
- Miracle Partner with Subway Restaurants to Pack the Park
FORT MYERS, FL (August 25, 2014) - The Fort Myers Miracle are set to bring home their first ever Florida State League Championship and want the public to cheer on the Miracle. Read more on this news related to 'Miracle'
- Soccer-Van Gaal says United title win would be 'a miracle'
Louis van Gaal has conceded it would take a miracle for Manchester United to win the Premier League this season. After finishing seventh last year, United opened their campaign optimistic that Dutch master-tactician van Gaal could oversee a return to the upper echelons of the Premier League table. I think so but it is also possible, always possible but it would be Read more on this news related to 'Miracle'
- Miracle Method Opens Five New Franchises to Meet Rapidly Increasing Demand for Surface Refinishing
Miracle Method, the nation's leading bathtub, tile, and countertop refinishing company, opens five new franchises to meet increasing demand. These new offices will serve both residential and commercial customers looking for a high-quality, affordable remodeling alternative. (PRWeb August 26, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/business_o Read more on this news related to 'Miracle'