Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mineral'
- relating to minerals; "mineral elements"; "mineral deposits"
- of or containing or derived from minerals; "a mineral deposit"; "mineral water" [ant: animal, vegetable]
- composed of matter other than plant or animal; "the inorganic mineral world" n : solid homogeneous inorganic substances occurring in nature having a definite chemical composition
- Mineral \Min"er*al\, n. [F. min['e]ral, LL. minerale, fr. minera
mine. See Mine, v. i.]
- An inorganic species or substance occurring in nature, having a definite chemical composition and usually a distinct crystalline form. Rocks, except certain glassy igneous forms, are either simple minerals or aggregates of minerals.
- A mine. [Obs.] --Shak.
- Anything which is neither animal nor vegetable, as in the most general classification of things into three kingdoms (animal, vegetable, and mineral).
- Mineral \Min"er*al\, a.
- Of or pertaining to minerals; consisting of a mineral or of minerals; as, a mineral substance.
- Impregnated with minerals; as, mineral waters. Mineral acids (Chem.), inorganic acids, as sulphuric, nitric, phosphoric, hydrochloric, acids, etc., as distinguished from the organic acids. Mineral blue, the name usually given to azurite, when reduced to an impalpable powder for coloring purposes. Mineral candle, a candle made of paraffine. Mineral caoutchouc, an elastic mineral pitch, a variety of bitumen, resembling caoutchouc in elasticity and softness. See Caoutchouc, and Elaterite. Mineral chameleon (Chem.) See Chameleon mineral, under Chameleon. Mineral charcoal. See under Charcoal. Mineral cotton. See Mineral wool (below). Mineral green, a green carbonate of copper; malachite. Mineral kingdom (Nat. Sci.), that one of the three grand divisions of nature which embraces all inorganic objects, as distinguished from plants or animals. Mineral oil. See Naphtha, and Petroleum. Mineral paint, a pigment made chiefly of some natural
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mineral'
A mineral is a naturally occurring solid chemical substance that is formed through geological processes and that has a characteristic chemical composition, a highly ordered atomic structure, and specific physical properties. By comparison, a rock is an aggregate of minerals and/or mineraloids and does not have a specific chemical composition. Minerals range in composition from pure elements and simple salts to very complex silicates with thousands of known forms. The study of minerals is called mineralogy.
To be classified as a true mineral, a substance must be a solid and have a crystalline structure. It must also be a naturally occurring, homogeneous substance with a defined chemical composition. Traditional definitions excluded organically derived material. However, the International Mineralogical Association in 1995 adopted a new definition:[See more about Mineral at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mineral'
'Mineral' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Mineral'
Mineral Sample Sentences in News
- Fortuna Silver Reports Updated Mineral Resource Estimate for San Jose Mine in Mexico
Fortuna Silver Mines Inc. is pleased to announce an updated Mineral Resource estimate as of June 30, 2014 for the San Jose Mine located in Oaxaca, Mexico. Included in the San Jose mineral resources is ... Read more on this news related to 'Mineral'
- Perseus Mining Limited Updates Edikan Mineral Resource
NOT FOR DISTRIBUTION TO UNITED STATES NEWSWIRE SERVICES OR FOR DISSEMINATION IN THE UNITED STATES Perseus Mining Limited reports that following an infill drilling programme on the Edikan Gold... Read more on this news related to 'Mineral'
- Mr. Ole Christiansen, Expert in Greenland Geology and Mineral Deposits, Joins North American Nickel's Technical ...
North American Nickel Inc. is pleased to announce that Mr. Ole Christiansen, a seasoned explorationist with excellent knowledge of Greenland geology and mineral deposits, has joined the Company's Advisory ... Read more on this news related to 'Mineral'