Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mimetic'
- characterized by or of the nature of or using mimesis; "a mimetic dance"; "the mimetic presentation of images"
- exhibiting mimicry; "mimetic coloring of a butterfly"; "the mimetic tendency of infancy"- R.W.Hamilton
- Mimetic \Mi*met"ic\ (?; 277), Mimetical \Mi*met"ic*al\, [Gr. ?,
fr. ? to imitate.]
- Apt to imitate; given to mimicry; imitative.
- (Biol.) Characterized by mimicry; -- applied to animals and plants; as, mimetic species; mimetic organisms. See Mimicry.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mimetic'
Mimesis (Ancient Greek: μίμησις (mīmēsis), from μίμεῖσθαι (mīmeisthai), "to imitate," from μῖμος (mimos), "imitator, actor") is a critical and philosophical term that carries a wide range of meanings, which include: imitation, representation, mimicry, imitatio, nonsensuous similarity, the act of resembling, the act of expression, and the presentation of the self. and Homi Bhabha.
Both Plato and Aristotle saw in mimesis the representation of nature. Plato wrote about mimesis in both Ion and The Republic (Books II, III and X). In Ion, he states that poetry is the art of divine madness, or inspiration. Because the poet is subject to this divine madness, it is not his/her function to convey the truth.
In Book II of The Republic
In developing this in Book X,[See more about Mimetic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mimetic'
Mimetic Sample Sentences in News
- The end of realist stories
The limitations of mimetic storytelling are ever more apparent, but what should come next is less clear Literary fiction is dead – or if not dead then finished, according to the Goldsmiths prize-shortlisted writer Lars Iyer, who argues it has become a " repertoire, like The Nutcracker at Christmas " and suggests that novelists should spread the word th Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'
- Palatin Technologies Announces Issuance of Two Natriuretic Peptide Receptor-Specific Mimetic Patents
CRANBURY, N.J., Nov. 12, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Palatin Technologies, Inc. (NYSE MKT: PTN), a biopharmaceutical company developing targeted, receptor-specific peptide therapeutics for the treatment of diseases with significant unmet medical need and commercial potential, announced that the United States Patent and Trademark Office today issued two new patents to Pa Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'
- Ilya and Emilia Kabakov: ENTER HERE
Ukrainian-born artist Ilya Kabakov's 2008 multi-site Moscow retrospective is the departure point of Ilya and Emilia Kabakov: ENTER HERE , itself a look back at the husband-and-wife team whose surreal, mimetic installations reinvented the landscape of Soviet and post-Soviet art. Dir... Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'