Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mimetic'
- characterized by or of the nature of or using mimesis; "a mimetic dance"; "the mimetic presentation of images"
- exhibiting mimicry; "mimetic coloring of a butterfly"; "the mimetic tendency of infancy"- R.W.Hamilton
- Mimetic \Mi*met"ic\ (?; 277), Mimetical \Mi*met"ic*al\, [Gr. ?,
fr. ? to imitate.]
- Apt to imitate; given to mimicry; imitative.
- (Biol.) Characterized by mimicry; -- applied to animals and plants; as, mimetic species; mimetic organisms. See Mimicry.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mimetic'
Mimesis (Ancient Greek: μίμησις (mīmēsis), from μίμεῖσθαι (mīmeisthai), "to imitate," from μῖμος (mimos), "imitator, actor") is a critical and philosophical term that carries a wide range of meanings, which include: imitation, representation, mimicry, imitatio, nonsensuous similarity, the act of resembling, the act of expression, and the presentation of the self. and Homi Bhabha.
Both Plato and Aristotle saw in mimesis the representation of nature. Plato wrote about mimesis in both Ion and The Republic (Books II, III and X). In Ion, he states that poetry is the art of divine madness, or inspiration. Because the poet is subject to this divine madness, it is not his/her function to convey the truth.
In Book II of The Republic
In developing this in Book X,[See more about Mimetic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mimetic'
Mimetic Sample Sentences in News
- Byetta Lawsuit News: New Order Issued in Federal Incretin Mimetics Litigation, Bernstein Liebhard LLP Reports
The Firm is evaluating Byetta lawsuits on behalf of individuals who developed pancreatitis, pancreatic cancer or thyroid cancer allegedly due to their use of Byetta or other incretin mimetic Type 2 diabetes drug. (PRWeb September 11, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/byetta-lawsuit/byetta-pancreatic-cancer/prweb12163899.htm Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'
- Does apolipoprotein E mimetic peptide reduce neuronal apoptosis induced by DBI?
( Neural Regeneration Research ) Researchers found that apolipoprotein E-derived therapeutic peptide (0.6mg/kg and 1.2mg/kg) improved synaptic stability and improved learning and memory performance after diffuse brain injury. Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'
- Cerenis Receives EMA Orphan Drug Designations for CER-001 for the Treatment of ApoA-I and ABCA-1 Deficiencies
Cerenis Therapeutics, the biopharmaceutical company developing CER-001, an engineered human apoA-I-containing pre-beta HDL mimetic, for the treatment of cardiovascular disease, ann Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'