Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mimetic'
- characterized by or of the nature of or using mimesis; "a mimetic dance"; "the mimetic presentation of images"
- exhibiting mimicry; "mimetic coloring of a butterfly"; "the mimetic tendency of infancy"- R.W.Hamilton
- Mimetic \Mi*met"ic\ (?; 277), Mimetical \Mi*met"ic*al\, [Gr. ?,
fr. ? to imitate.]
- Apt to imitate; given to mimicry; imitative.
- (Biol.) Characterized by mimicry; -- applied to animals and plants; as, mimetic species; mimetic organisms. See Mimicry.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mimetic'
Mimesis (Ancient Greek: μίμησις (mīmēsis), from μίμεῖσθαι (mīmeisthai), "to imitate," from μῖμος (mimos), "imitator, actor") is a critical and philosophical term that carries a wide range of meanings, which include: imitation, representation, mimicry, imitatio, nonsensuous similarity, the act of resembling, the act of expression, and the presentation of the self. and Homi Bhabha.
Both Plato and Aristotle saw in mimesis the representation of nature. Plato wrote about mimesis in both Ion and The Republic (Books II, III and X). In Ion, he states that poetry is the art of divine madness, or inspiration. Because the poet is subject to this divine madness, it is not his/her function to convey the truth.
In Book II of The Republic
In developing this in Book X,[See more about Mimetic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mimetic'
Mimetic Sample Sentences in News
- Federal Court Overseeing Byetta Lawsuits, Other Incretin Mimetic Claims Establishes Deadlines Pertaining to Discovery ...
The Firm is evaluating Byetta lawsuits on behalf of individuals who allegedly developed pancreatic cancer, pancreatitis or thyroid cancer, due to their use of the Type 2 diabetes medication. (PRWeb July 05, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/byetta-lawsuit/byetta-pancreatic-cancer/prweb11996450.htm Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'
- 25 Greatest Movie Robot Battles
The Robots: The Cyberdyne Systems Series 800 Model 101; commonly referred to as the T-101, T-800 or simply The Terminator (Arnold Schwarzenegger) is a metal endoskeleton surrounded by living tissue with a fondness for biker garb. A newer, shinier Cyberdyne creation, the T-1000 (Robert Patrick) is a mimetic poly-alloy, meaning it’s capable of shapeshifting due to Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'
- Cellceutix develops room temp stable Brilacidin
Cellceutix Corp. ( OTCQB:CTIX ) develops a new formulation of its lead antibiotic Brilacidin that is stable at room temperature. This enables the company to move forward with its plans to develop the defensin-mimetic antibiotic as a treatment for diabetic foot ulcers and ophthalmic and otitis media indications. 2 comments! Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'