Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mimetic'
- characterized by or of the nature of or using mimesis; "a mimetic dance"; "the mimetic presentation of images"
- exhibiting mimicry; "mimetic coloring of a butterfly"; "the mimetic tendency of infancy"- R.W.Hamilton
- Mimetic \Mi*met"ic\ (?; 277), Mimetical \Mi*met"ic*al\, [Gr. ?,
fr. ? to imitate.]
- Apt to imitate; given to mimicry; imitative.
- (Biol.) Characterized by mimicry; -- applied to animals and plants; as, mimetic species; mimetic organisms. See Mimicry.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mimetic'
Mimesis (Ancient Greek: μίμησις (mīmēsis), from μίμεῖσθαι (mīmeisthai), "to imitate," from μῖμος (mimos), "imitator, actor") is a critical and philosophical term that carries a wide range of meanings, which include: imitation, representation, mimicry, imitatio, nonsensuous similarity, the act of resembling, the act of expression, and the presentation of the self. and Homi Bhabha.
Both Plato and Aristotle saw in mimesis the representation of nature. Plato wrote about mimesis in both Ion and The Republic (Books II, III and X). In Ion, he states that poetry is the art of divine madness, or inspiration. Because the poet is subject to this divine madness, it is not his/her function to convey the truth.
In Book II of The Republic
In developing this in Book X,[See more about Mimetic at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mimetic'
Mimetic Sample Sentences in News
- Cellceutix completes enrollment in Brilacidin trial
Cellceutix ( OTCQB:CTIX ) completes enrollment of 215 subjects in its Phase 2b clinical trial comparing Brilacidin to Cubicin (daptomycin) in patients with acute bacterial skin and skin structure infections (ABSSSI). The company expects data to be available in Q4. Brilacidin is a defensin -mimetic antibiotic. This new class of drug kills bacteria in the same manne Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'
- Byetta Lawsuit News: Bernstein Liebhard LLP Notes British Columbia's Recent Decision to Discontinue Incretin Mimetic ...
The Firm is actively investigating Januvia and Byetta lawsuits on behalf of individuals who allegedly developed pancreatic cancer, pancreatitis and other serious injuries after taking either of the diabetes treatments. (PRWeb August 15, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/byetta-lawsuit/byetta-pancreatic-cancer/prweb12098941.htm Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'
- Progen issued Intention to Grant for patent
The European Patent Office issues an Intention to Grant to Progen Pharmaceuticals ( OTCQB:PGLA ) for its patent application "Sulfated Oligosaccharide Derivatives" that covers its PG500 series of heparan mimetic molecules. Post your comment! Read more on this news related to 'Mimetic'