Meter Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- any of various measuring instruments for measuring a quantity
- rhythm as given by division into parts of equal time
- (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse
- the basic unit of length adopted under the Systeme International d''Unites (approximately 1.094 yards)
- measure with a meter; "meter the flow of water"
- stamp with a meter indicating the postage; "meter the mail"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the basic unit of length adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites (approximately
- 094 yards) ,
- any of various measuring instruments for measuring a quantity ,
- (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse ,
- rhythm as given by division into parts of equal duration
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Meter'?
Meter Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A metre (US spelling, meter) is the basic unit of length in the SI measurement system. The abbreviation for the metre is m. The first meaning (in the French Revolution), it was 1/10,000,000th (one ten-millionth) of the distance between the Earth's equator and the North Pole along the Paris meridian.
In the imperial system of measurement, one metre is equal to about 39.37 inches, 3.28 feet, or about 1.09 yards.
*Note: units in bold are the most commonly used.
Words and phrases related to 'Meter'
Meter Sample Sentences in News
- UL begins work on utility meter standard for Canada
UL begins work on utility meter standard for Canada Read more on this news related to 'Meter'
- Badger Meter Looks Attractive on Municipal Channel Strength
Badger Meter (BMI) looks attractive on strength in municipal channel. Read more on this news related to 'Meter'
- Automated Meter Reading Leader Datamatic Becomes Certified Trimble Service Center
Datamatic, a leader in meter reading solutions for utilities worldwide, announced that it has been named a Certified Repair Depot for Trimble’s line of ruggedized Nomad™ handheld computers. Read more on this news related to 'Meter'