Meter Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- any of various measuring instruments for measuring a quantity
- rhythm as given by division into parts of equal time
- (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse
- the basic unit of length adopted under the Systeme International d''Unites (approximately 1.094 yards)
- measure with a meter; "meter the flow of water"
- stamp with a meter indicating the postage; "meter the mail"
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the basic unit of length adopted under the Systeme International d'Unites (approximately
- 094 yards) ,
- any of various measuring instruments for measuring a quantity ,
- (prosody) the accent in a metrical foot of verse ,
- rhythm as given by division into parts of equal duration
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Meter'?
Meter Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A metre (US spelling, meter) is the basic unit of length in the SI measurement system. The abbreviation for the metre is m. The first meaning (in the French Revolution), it was 1/10,000,000th (one ten-millionth) of the distance between the Earth's equator and the North Pole along the Paris meridian.
In the imperial system of measurement, one metre is equal to about 39.37 inches, 3.28 feet, or about 1.09 yards.
*Note: units in bold are the most commonly used.
Words and phrases related to 'Meter'
Meter Sample Sentences in News
- New city water meter costs homeowner plenty
Bill Swearingen has a problem with the city’s new water meter program. It's cost him $4,700. Read more on this news related to 'Meter'
- Parking meter progress; address minidorm problems
The U-T editorial about the good Todd Gloria (Jan. 19) starts with “San Diego’s parking meter program is a mess.” Not true. Read more on this news related to 'Meter'
- Police Working With Sesco to Tackle Meter Tampering in State
KUCHING : Syarikat Sesco Berhad carried out meter inspection with police in Miri earlier this week. Read more on this news related to 'Meter'