Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Meridian'
Meridian Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : of or happening at noon; "meridian hour"
- a town in eastern Mississippi
- an imaginary great circle on the surface of the earth passing through the north and south poles at right angles to the equator; "all points on the same meridian have the same longitude" [syn: longitude, line of longitude]
- Meridian \Me*rid"i*an\, a. [F. m['e]ridien, L. meridianus
pertaining to noon, fr. meridies noon, midday, for older
medidies; medius mid, middle + dies day. See Mid, and
- Being at, or pertaining to, midday; belonging to, or passing through, the highest point attained by the sun in his diurnal course. ``Meridian hour.'' --Milton. Tables . . . to find the altitude meridian. --Chaucer.
- Pertaining to the highest point or culmination; as, meridian splendor.
- Meridian \Me*rid"i*an\, n. [F. m['e]ridien. See Meridian, a.]
- Midday; noon.
- Hence: The highest point, as of success, prosperity, or the like; culmination. I have touched the highest point of all my greatness, And from that full meridian of my glory I haste now to my setting. --Shak.
- (Astron.) A great circle of the sphere passing through the poles of the heavens and the zenith of a given place. It is crossed by the sun at midday.
- (Geog.) A great circle on the surface of the earth, passing through the poles and any given place; also, the half of such a circle included between the poles. Note: The planes of the geographical and astronomical meridians coincide. Meridians, on a map or globe, are lines drawn at certain intervals due north and south, or in the direction of the poles. Calculated for, or fitted to, or adapted to, the meridian of}, suited to the local circumstances, capabilities, or special requirements of. All other knowledge merely serves the concerns of this life, and is fitted to the meridian thereof. --Sir M. Hale. First meridian, the meridian from which longitudes are reckoned. The meridian of Greenwich is the one commonly employed in calculations of longitude by geographers, and in actual practice, although in various countries other and different meridians, chiefly those which pass through the capitals of the countries, are occasionally used; as, in France, the meridian of Paris; in the United States,
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Meridian'
- Meridian: Meridian, or a meridian line may refer to: Earth science : Meridian (astronomy), imaginary circle perpendicular to the celestial equator and ...
- Meridian, Mississippi: Meridian is the county seat of Lauderdale County , Mississippi . principal city of the Meridian, Mississippi Micropolitan Statistical Area . ...
- Meridian Broadcasting: Meridian Broadcasting (now branded as ITV Meridian) is the holder of the ITV franchise for the South and South East of England The ...
- Meridian (geography): A meridian (or line of longitude) is an imaginary arc on the Earth's surface from the North Pole to the South Pole that connects all ...
- Prime Meridian: The Prime Meridian is the meridian (line of longitude ) at which the longitude is defined to be 0°. The Prime Meridian and its opposite ...
- Meridian, Idaho: Meridian is the second-largest city in Ada County , Idaho , USA , and the third-largest in the state. population estimate of Meridian was 64,642 ...
- Meridian (astronomy): The upper meridian is the half above the horizon, the lower meridian is the half below it. See also : Meridian (geography) Prime Meridian ...
- Meridian (Chinese medicine): The meridian. (p jīngluò | s 经络 | t 經絡 is a concept central to traditional Chinese medical techniques such as acupuncture , and to martial ...
- Meridian Energy: Meridian Energy Limited is a New Zealand state-owned electricity generator and retailer . The company generates the largest proportion ...
Words and phrases related to 'Meridian'
Meridian Sample Sentences in News
- Meridian Bioscience Slips to Hold
Meridian's adjusted earnings per share decreased 10% year over year to 18 cents during first-quarter fiscal 2014. Read more on this news related to 'Meridian'
- Meridian Boys and Girls Club in need of more space
MERIDIAN -- Idaho's Newschannel Seven is participating in the 2nd annual Idaho Gives on May 1, 2014. Idaho Gives is a statewide, 24-hour day of giving that takes place online, and celebrates what we can all do when we work together. Newschannel Seven is partnering with the Boys & Girls Clubs of Ada County to help them on a project they sorely need, a gymnasium Read more on this news related to 'Meridian'
- Silver Airways bailout prompts airport partnership
MERIDIAN, Miss. (AP) - Leaders of airports in Meridian and Hattiesburg-Laurel are working with a consultant who specializes in smaller airport service to make presentations to the larger commercial airlines. "Meridian is a decent market for one of the big airlines. Hattiesburg-Laurel is a decent market with regional ... Read more on this news related to 'Meridian'