Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mediocrity'
- ordinariness as a consequence of being average and not outstanding [syn: averageness]
- a person of second-rate ability or value; "a team of aging second-raters"; "shone among the mediocrities who surrounded him" [syn: second-rater]
- Mediocrity \Me`di*oc"ri*ty\, n. [F. m['e]diocrit['e], L.
- The quality of being mediocre; a middle state or degree; a moderate degree or rate. ``A mediocrity of success.'' --Bacon.
- Moderation; temperance. [Obs.] --Hooker.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mediocrity'
The mediocrity principle is the notion in philosophy of science that there is nothing special about humans or the Earth. It is a Copernican principle, used either as a heuristic about Earth's position or as a philosophical statement about the place of humanity.
In a broader context, the mediocrity principle states that:
(1) life on Earth depends on just a few basic molecules; (2) the elements that make up these molecules are (to a greater or lesser extent) common to all stars, and (3) the laws of science we know apply to the entire universe (and there is no reason to assume that they do not), (Conclusion) then – given sufficient time – life must have originated elsewhere in the cosmos.
The mediocrity principle as applied to humanity's and Earth' existence is further boosted by:[See more about Mediocrity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mediocrity'
'Mediocrity' in famous quotation sentence
* The difference between greatness and mediocrity is often how an individual views a mistake... - Nelson Boswell
* Over-seriousness is a warning sign for mediocrity and bureaucratic thinking. People who are seriously committed to mastery and high performance are secure enough to lighten up. - Michael J. Gelb
Click here for more related quotations on 'Mediocrity'
Mediocrity Sample Sentences in News
- Mediocrity rules in ultra-competitive AL East
TORONTO — Opportunity is pounding at the door of the Toronto Blue Jays. Read more on this news related to 'Mediocrity'
- Citi’s Stock Seems Priced for More Mediocrity
Despite Citi's strong earnings, the bank is trading at just 83 percent of its tangible book value, the only major financial firm currently stuck at less than its net worth, Antony Currie writes in Reuters Breakingviews. Read more on this news related to 'Mediocrity'
- Stocks: A case of March mediocrity
Stock markets have been hit by a severe case of March mediocrity. Investors can't seem to get excited about equities this month, with each of the main U.S. indexes showing losses. Read more on this news related to 'Mediocrity'