Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Mediocrity'
- ordinariness as a consequence of being average and not outstanding [syn: averageness]
- a person of second-rate ability or value; "a team of aging second-raters"; "shone among the mediocrities who surrounded him" [syn: second-rater]
- Mediocrity \Me`di*oc"ri*ty\, n. [F. m['e]diocrit['e], L.
- The quality of being mediocre; a middle state or degree; a moderate degree or rate. ``A mediocrity of success.'' --Bacon.
- Moderation; temperance. [Obs.] --Hooker.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Mediocrity'
The mediocrity principle is the notion in philosophy of science that there is nothing special about humans or the Earth. It is a Copernican principle, used either as a heuristic about Earth's position or as a philosophical statement about the place of humanity.
In a broader context, the mediocrity principle states that:
(1) life on Earth depends on just a few basic molecules; (2) the elements that make up these molecules are (to a greater or lesser extent) common to all stars, and (3) the laws of science we know apply to the entire universe (and there is no reason to assume that they do not), (Conclusion) then – given sufficient time – life must have originated elsewhere in the cosmos.
The mediocrity principle as applied to humanity's and Earth' existence is further boosted by:[See more about Mediocrity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Mediocrity'
'Mediocrity' in famous quotation sentence
* The difference between greatness and mediocrity is often how an individual views a mistake... - Nelson Boswell
* Over-seriousness is a warning sign for mediocrity and bureaucratic thinking. People who are seriously committed to mastery and high performance are secure enough to lighten up. - Michael J. Gelb
Click here for more related quotations on 'Mediocrity'
Mediocrity Sample Sentences in News
- Michelle Rhee: U.S. Schools Are Mired in Mediocrity
Michelle Rhee: U.S. Schools Are Mired in Mediocrity Read more on this news related to 'Mediocrity'
- Tales of Woe from the Age of Mediocrity, Part One: Chris Bosh
I had no doubt he would miss. Chris Bosh stepped up with less than a minute to go, the Miami Heat needing a big three, and released from just left of the key. By the time he missed, I had changed the channel.… [ Read more ] [ Subscribe to the comments on this story ] Read more on this news related to 'Mediocrity'
- Settling for Mediocrity
This is in response to “ Lousy Bolts Won’t Bolt ” (SD on the QT, November 21) where, once again, Coach McCoy is placing the team’s poor performance on the field into the laps of the fans. Read more on this news related to 'Mediocrity'