Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Maximum'
adj : the greatest or most complete or best possible; "maximal
expansion"; "maximum pressure" [syn: maximal] [ant: minimal,
- the largest possible quantity [syn: upper limit] [ant: minimum]
- the greatest possible degree; "he tried his utmost" [syn: utmost, uttermost, level best]
- the point on a curve where the tangent changes from positive on the left to negative on the right [ant: minimum] [also: maxima (pl)]
- Maximum \Max"i*mum\, a.
Greatest in quantity or highest in degree attainable or
attained; as, a maximum consumption of fuel; maximum
pressure; maximum heat.
- Maximum \Max"i*mum\, n.; pl. Maxima. [L., neut. from maximus
the greatest. See Maxim.]
The greatest quantity or value attainable in a given case;
or, the greatest value attained by a quantity which first
increases and then begins to decrease; the highest point or
degree; -- opposed to minimum.
Good legislation is the art of conducting a nation to
the maximum of happiness, and the minimum of misery.
Maximum thermometer, a thermometer that registers the
highest degree of temperature attained in a given time, or
since its last adjustment.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Maximum'
In mathematics, maxima and minima, known collectively as extrema (singular: extremum), are the largest value (maximum) or smallest value (minimum), that a function takes in a point either within a given neighborhood (local extremum) or on the function domain in its entirety (global or absolute extremum). More generally, the maxima and minima of a set (as defined in set theory) are the greatest and least values in the set. To locate extreme values is the basic objective of optimization.
A real-valued function f defined on a real line is said to have a local (or relative) maximum point at the point x∗, if there exists some ε > 0 such that f(x∗) ≥ f(x) when |x − x∗| < ε. The value of the function at this point is called maximum of the function. Similarly, a function has a local minimum point at x∗, if f(x∗) ≤ f(x) when |x − x∗| < ε. The value of the function at this point is called minimum of the function.[See more about Maximum at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Maximum'
'Maximum' in famous quotation sentence
* There are countless ways of achieving greatness, but any road to achieving one's maximum potential must be built on a bedrock of respect for the individual, a commitment to excellence, and a rejection of mediocrity. - Buck Rodgers
* The journalistic vision sharpens to the point of maximum impact every event, every individual and social configuration but the honing is uniform. - George Steiner
Click here for more related quotations on 'Maximum'
Maximum Sample Sentences in News
- Maximum security no deterrent for inmates' conjugal visit
A female inmate jammed her door, made her way through two unlocked doors and into the cell of a male inmate. Read more on this news related to 'Maximum'
- Maximum Games Releases Putty Squad Today at $29.99 for PS4™
Lowest priced PS4™ title in stores now at $29.99 MSRP. (PRWeb March 11, 2014) Read the full story at http://www.prweb.com/releases/2014/03/prweb11654796.htm Read more on this news related to 'Maximum'
- Political parties eye cyber route for maximum reach-out
To reach out to maximum voters in Himachal Pradesh, which is known for tough geographical conditions and inclement weather, political parties are taking the cyber route this time. Read more on this news related to 'Maximum'