Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Maximum'
adj : the greatest or most complete or best possible; "maximal
expansion"; "maximum pressure" [syn: maximal] [ant: minimal,
- the largest possible quantity [syn: upper limit] [ant: minimum]
- the greatest possible degree; "he tried his utmost" [syn: utmost, uttermost, level best]
- the point on a curve where the tangent changes from positive on the left to negative on the right [ant: minimum] [also: maxima (pl)]
- Maximum \Max"i*mum\, a.
Greatest in quantity or highest in degree attainable or
attained; as, a maximum consumption of fuel; maximum
pressure; maximum heat.
- Maximum \Max"i*mum\, n.; pl. Maxima. [L., neut. from maximus
the greatest. See Maxim.]
The greatest quantity or value attainable in a given case;
or, the greatest value attained by a quantity which first
increases and then begins to decrease; the highest point or
degree; -- opposed to minimum.
Good legislation is the art of conducting a nation to
the maximum of happiness, and the minimum of misery.
Maximum thermometer, a thermometer that registers the
highest degree of temperature attained in a given time, or
since its last adjustment.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Maximum'
In mathematics, maxima and minima, known collectively as extrema (singular: extremum), are the largest value (maximum) or smallest value (minimum), that a function takes in a point either within a given neighborhood (local extremum) or on the function domain in its entirety (global or absolute extremum). More generally, the maxima and minima of a set (as defined in set theory) are the greatest and least values in the set. To locate extreme values is the basic objective of optimization.
A real-valued function f defined on a real line is said to have a local (or relative) maximum point at the point x∗, if there exists some ε > 0 such that f(x∗) ≥ f(x) when |x − x∗| < ε. The value of the function at this point is called maximum of the function. Similarly, a function has a local minimum point at x∗, if f(x∗) ≤ f(x) when |x − x∗| < ε. The value of the function at this point is called minimum of the function.[See more about Maximum at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Maximum'
'Maximum' in famous quotation sentence
* There are countless ways of achieving greatness, but any road to achieving one's maximum potential must be built on a bedrock of respect for the individual, a commitment to excellence, and a rejection of mediocrity. - Buck Rodgers
* The journalistic vision sharpens to the point of maximum impact every event, every individual and social configuration but the honing is uniform. - George Steiner
Click here for more related quotations on 'Maximum'
Maximum Sample Sentences in News
- Maximum Processing And GhostDraft Join To Deliver User-Driven Document Creation To Insurers
GhostDraft, an innovator in document automation and customer communications, today announced that Maximum Processing, a leading provider of property and casualty insurance policy administration software, has selected GhostDraft to provide users of The Stingray System with the ability to create forms, claim documents, bills and other customer communications Read more on this news related to 'Maximum'
- AT&T Inc. Announces Final Results of Maximum Tender Offers
AT&T Inc. today announced the final results of its previously announced tender offers to purchase for cash an aggregate princ Read more on this news related to 'Maximum'
- Rights group demands maximum punishment for attacker in US hate crime case
A civil advocacy group is demanding the maximum punishment for a Seattle man who was indicted on hate crime charges for brutally assaulting a Sikh taxi driver last year, saying such a punishment will send a clear message that racially-motivated crime is "unacceptable". Read more on this news related to 'Maximum'