Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Maximum'
adj : the greatest or most complete or best possible; "maximal
expansion"; "maximum pressure" [syn: maximal] [ant: minimal,
- the largest possible quantity [syn: upper limit] [ant: minimum]
- the greatest possible degree; "he tried his utmost" [syn: utmost, uttermost, level best]
- the point on a curve where the tangent changes from positive on the left to negative on the right [ant: minimum] [also: maxima (pl)]
- Maximum \Max"i*mum\, a.
Greatest in quantity or highest in degree attainable or
attained; as, a maximum consumption of fuel; maximum
pressure; maximum heat.
- Maximum \Max"i*mum\, n.; pl. Maxima. [L., neut. from maximus
the greatest. See Maxim.]
The greatest quantity or value attainable in a given case;
or, the greatest value attained by a quantity which first
increases and then begins to decrease; the highest point or
degree; -- opposed to minimum.
Good legislation is the art of conducting a nation to
the maximum of happiness, and the minimum of misery.
Maximum thermometer, a thermometer that registers the
highest degree of temperature attained in a given time, or
since its last adjustment.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Maximum'
In mathematics, maxima and minima, known collectively as extrema (singular: extremum), are the largest value (maximum) or smallest value (minimum), that a function takes in a point either within a given neighborhood (local extremum) or on the function domain in its entirety (global or absolute extremum). More generally, the maxima and minima of a set (as defined in set theory) are the greatest and least values in the set. To locate extreme values is the basic objective of optimization.
A real-valued function f defined on a real line is said to have a local (or relative) maximum point at the point x∗, if there exists some ε > 0 such that f(x∗) ≥ f(x) when |x − x∗| < ε. The value of the function at this point is called maximum of the function. Similarly, a function has a local minimum point at x∗, if f(x∗) ≤ f(x) when |x − x∗| < ε. The value of the function at this point is called minimum of the function.[See more about Maximum at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Maximum'
'Maximum' in famous quotation sentence
* There are countless ways of achieving greatness, but any road to achieving one's maximum potential must be built on a bedrock of respect for the individual, a commitment to excellence, and a rejection of mediocrity. - Buck Rodgers
* The journalistic vision sharpens to the point of maximum impact every event, every individual and social configuration but the honing is uniform. - George Steiner
Click here for more related quotations on 'Maximum'