Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Martyrdom'
- death that is imposed because of the person's adherence of a religious faith or cause
- any experience that causes intense suffering [syn: calvary]
- Martyrdom \Mar"tyr*dom\, n. [Martyr + -dom.]
- The condition of a martyr; the death of a martyr; the suffering of death on account of adherence to the Christian faith, or to any cause. --Bacon. I came from martyrdom unto this peace. --Longfellow.
- Affliction; torment; torture. --Chaucer.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Martyrdom'
A martyr (Greek: μάρτυς, mártys, "witness"; stem μάρτυρ-, mártyr-) is somebody who suffers persecution and death for refusing to renounce a belief or cause, often religious.
In its original meaning, the word martyr, meaning witness, was used in the secular sphere as well as in the New Testament of the Bible. The process of bearing witness was not intended to lead to the death of the witness, although it is known from ancient writers (e.g. Josephus) and from the New Testament that witnesses often died for their testimonies.
During the early Christian centuries, the term acquired the extended meaning of a believer who is called to witness for their religious belief, and on account of this witness, endures suffering and/or death. The term, in this later sense, entered the English language as a loanword. The death of a martyr or the value attributed to it is called martyrdom.[See more about Martyrdom at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Martyrdom'
'Martyrdom' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Martyrdom'
Martyrdom Sample Sentences in News
- Accused Boston bomber spoke of martyrdom before attack: FBI
By Daniel Lovering BOSTON (Reuters) - Accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told his friends about martyrdom and bomb-building over lunch before the attacks last year, an FBI agent testified on Friday in the trial of one of the friends for obstruction. He is charged with removing evidence from Tsarnaev's room at the University of Massachusetts Dartm Read more on this news related to 'Martyrdom'
- FBI: Accused Boston bomber spoke of martyrdom before attack
Accused Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev told his friends about martyrdom and bomb-building over lunch before the attacks last year, an FBI agent testified on Friday in the trial of one of the friends for obstruction. Read more on this news related to 'Martyrdom'
- Pakistan paramilitary soldier killed by Afghan fire
A Pakistani paramilitary soldier was killed on Friday by cross-border fire from Afghanistan in the northwestern mountainous tribal region of Bajaur, military officials said. "A paramilitary soldier embraced martyrdom due to terrorists' fire from across the border (Afghanistan) near Ghakhai pass in Bajaur this afternoon," the army said in a statement. Read more on this news related to 'Martyrdom'