Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Malay'
Malay Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : of or relating to or characteristic of the people or
language of Malaysia and the northern Malay Peninsula
and parts of the western Malay Archipelago; "Malay
peoples"; "Malayan syllable structure" [syn: Malayan]
- a member of a people inhabiting the northern Malay Peninsula and Malaysia and parts of the western Malay Archipelago [syn: Malayan]
- a western subfamily of Western Malayo-Polynesian languages
- Malay \Ma*lay"\, Malayan \Ma*lay"an\, a.
Of or pertaining to the Malays or their country. -- n. The
Malay apple (Bot.), a myrtaceous tree (Eugenia
Malaccensis}) common in India; also, its applelike fruit.
- Malay \Ma*lay"\, n.
One of a race of a brown or copper complexion in the Malay
Peninsula and the western islands of the Indian Archipelago.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Malay'
- Malay: Malay may refer to: Language : Malay language ("Bahasa Melayu"), the macro-language of Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei, lingua franca of the ...
- Malays (ethnic group): Malays (Melayu Jawi : ملايو) are an ethnic group of Austronesian people predominantly inhabiting the Malay Peninsula , including the ...
- Malay language: Malay is a major language of the Austronesian family. Standardized varieties of Malay are the official language of Malaysia (Malaysian ...
- Malay Peninsula: The Malay Peninsula or Thai-Malay Peninsula. (Semenanjung Tanah Melayu, คาบสมุทรมลายู is a peninsula in Southeast Asia . The land mass runs ...
- Malaysia: Malaysia has its origins in the Malay Kingdoms present in the area which, from the 18th century, became subject to the British Empire . ...
- Malays in Singapore: 13.4% of the country's population, as based on the broader definition of a "Malay race " rather than the more specific "Malay ethnic group ". ...
- Malaysian Malay: In Malaysia , the Malay population is defined by Article 160 of the Malaysian Constitution as someone born to a Malaysian citizen who ...
- Malay race: The concept of a Malay race (Bangsa Melayu) was proposed by the German scientist Johann Friedrich Blumenbach (1752–1840), and classified ...
- British Malaya: British Malaya loosely described a set of states on the Malay Peninsula and the Island of Singapore that were colonized by the British ...
- Malay languages: The Malay languages are a group of closely related languages that developed from Malay outposts across Malaysia and Indonesia . ...
Words and phrases related to 'Malay'
Malay Sample Sentences in News
- Articles on Malay privileges, Islam not above constitutional liberties, Zahid told
KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 17 — Constitutional provisions on the Malays, the Malay rulers, Islam and the national language are not superior to those governing the rights of other citizens, several lawyers... Read more on this news related to 'Malay'
- Dr Mahathir fears Barisan will lose GE14 under Najib
Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad has told a Malay non-governmental organisation of his fear that Barisan Nasional (BN) will lose in the next general election if Datuk Seri Najib Razak continues as prime minister. Mohd Ridzuan Abdullah, the president of Ikhlas, an NGO representing Malay traders and small businesses, said they met the former prime... Read more on this news related to 'Malay'
- Pakatan must address Malay concerns or risks losing support, says analyst
Pakatan Rakyat (PR) has a weakness – its inability to address the insecurities of the Malay masses while its political rivals use sentiments such as those on Islam, the royalty and Malay rights to hold on to power, a political scientist told a forum last night. Dr Wong Chin Huat said PR would have to address these sentiments if the coalition... Read more on this news related to 'Malay'