Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Malay'
Malay Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : of or relating to or characteristic of the people or
language of Malaysia and the northern Malay Peninsula
and parts of the western Malay Archipelago; "Malay
peoples"; "Malayan syllable structure" [syn: Malayan]
- a member of a people inhabiting the northern Malay Peninsula and Malaysia and parts of the western Malay Archipelago [syn: Malayan]
- a western subfamily of Western Malayo-Polynesian languages
- Malay \Ma*lay"\, Malayan \Ma*lay"an\, a.
Of or pertaining to the Malays or their country. -- n. The
Malay apple (Bot.), a myrtaceous tree (Eugenia
Malaccensis}) common in India; also, its applelike fruit.
- Malay \Ma*lay"\, n.
One of a race of a brown or copper complexion in the Malay
Peninsula and the western islands of the Indian Archipelago.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Malay'
- Malay: Malay may refer to: Language : Malay language ("Bahasa Melayu"), the macro-language of Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei, lingua franca of the ...
- Malays (ethnic group): Malays (Melayu Jawi : ملايو) are an ethnic group of Austronesian people predominantly inhabiting the Malay Peninsula , including the ...
- Malay language: Malay is a major language of the Austronesian family. Standardized varieties of Malay are the official language of Malaysia (Malaysian ...
- Malay Peninsula: The Malay Peninsula or Thai-Malay Peninsula. (Semenanjung Tanah Melayu, คาบสมุทรมลายู is a peninsula in Southeast Asia . The land mass runs ...
- Malaysia: Malaysia has its origins in the Malay Kingdoms present in the area which, from the 18th century, became subject to the British Empire . ...
- Malays in Singapore: 13.4% of the country's population, as based on the broader definition of a "Malay race " rather than the more specific "Malay ethnic group ". ...
- Malaysian Malay: In Malaysia , the Malay population is defined by Article 160 of the Malaysian Constitution as someone born to a Malaysian citizen who ...
- Malay race: The concept of a Malay race (Bangsa Melayu) was proposed by the German scientist Johann Friedrich Blumenbach (1752–1840), and classified ...
- British Malaya: British Malaya loosely described a set of states on the Malay Peninsula and the Island of Singapore that were colonized by the British ...
- Malay languages: The Malay languages are a group of closely related languages that developed from Malay outposts across Malaysia and Indonesia . ...
Words and phrases related to 'Malay'
Malay Sample Sentences in News
- Top Picks for Malay Food, you must not miss!
Rice is a staple in Malay cooking, and sometimes, even breakfast is not to early to indulge in some steaming hot and spicy Malay food. Here are our top picks for some terrific Malay dishes that should be on everybody's list of 'must visit' restaurants in Kuala Lumpur. Read more on this news related to 'Malay'
- Malay Royal Institution Face Big Challenge To Remain Relevant - Raja Nazrin
KUALA KANGSAR, March 7 (Bernama) -- The Malay royal institution is facing a big challenge to remain relevant, accepted and respected by the people, said the Regent of Perak, Raja Dr Nazrin Shah. Read more on this news related to 'Malay'
- Despite Apology, Azmin Says Will Sue Party Paper, Activist
PIC: The Malay Mail KUALA LUMPUR : PKR deputy president Azmin Ali is following through with threats to sue two Suara Keadilan editors and activist Hishamuddin Rais over a February 11 article. Read more on this news related to 'Malay'