Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Malay'
Malay Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : of or relating to or characteristic of the people or
language of Malaysia and the northern Malay Peninsula
and parts of the western Malay Archipelago; "Malay
peoples"; "Malayan syllable structure" [syn: Malayan]
- a member of a people inhabiting the northern Malay Peninsula and Malaysia and parts of the western Malay Archipelago [syn: Malayan]
- a western subfamily of Western Malayo-Polynesian languages
- Malay \Ma*lay"\, Malayan \Ma*lay"an\, a.
Of or pertaining to the Malays or their country. -- n. The
Malay apple (Bot.), a myrtaceous tree (Eugenia
Malaccensis}) common in India; also, its applelike fruit.
- Malay \Ma*lay"\, n.
One of a race of a brown or copper complexion in the Malay
Peninsula and the western islands of the Indian Archipelago.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Malay'
- Malay: Malay may refer to: Language : Malay language ("Bahasa Melayu"), the macro-language of Malaysia, Indonesia and Brunei, lingua franca of the ...
- Malays (ethnic group): Malays (Melayu Jawi : ملايو) are an ethnic group of Austronesian people predominantly inhabiting the Malay Peninsula , including the ...
- Malay language: Malay is a major language of the Austronesian family. Standardized varieties of Malay are the official language of Malaysia (Malaysian ...
- Malay Peninsula: The Malay Peninsula or Thai-Malay Peninsula. (Semenanjung Tanah Melayu, คาบสมุทรมลายู is a peninsula in Southeast Asia . The land mass runs ...
- Malaysia: Malaysia has its origins in the Malay Kingdoms present in the area which, from the 18th century, became subject to the British Empire . ...
- Malays in Singapore: 13.4% of the country's population, as based on the broader definition of a "Malay race " rather than the more specific "Malay ethnic group ". ...
- Malaysian Malay: In Malaysia , the Malay population is defined by Article 160 of the Malaysian Constitution as someone born to a Malaysian citizen who ...
- Malay race: The concept of a Malay race (Bangsa Melayu) was proposed by the German scientist Johann Friedrich Blumenbach (1752–1840), and classified ...
- British Malaya: British Malaya loosely described a set of states on the Malay Peninsula and the Island of Singapore that were colonized by the British ...
- Malay languages: The Malay languages are a group of closely related languages that developed from Malay outposts across Malaysia and Indonesia . ...
Words and phrases related to 'Malay'
Malay Sample Sentences in News
- The undermining of Bahasa Malaysia, by state
Hence, the undermining of the Malay language by the Malay-dominated state becomes an oxymoron. The struggle to uplift and glorify the Malay language as the predominant if not sole common language of all Malaysians has two grounds. Based on the prevalent monocultural nation-state model, it is widely believed that a nation-state can only hold itself together if its Read more on this news related to 'Malay'
- Isma’s Jewish jibe about rights groups poorly thought-out, targets say
KUALA LUMPUR, July 29 — Human rights groups branded “Jewish Capitalists” by an increasingly shrill right-wing Malay organisation said the label is both ill-judged and ill-defined, serving only to spread fear of a random bogeyman. Read more on this news related to 'Malay'
- The Malay dilemma
The DAP has grown into a dominant political force in Malaysia. Yet it is unable to win over most of the Malays. What is wrong with its strategy? DAP enjoys wide support among the Chinese and it has made all the right moves over the years to keep this cache of votes. Read more on this news related to 'Malay'