Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Majesties'
Majesties Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Majesty \Maj"es*ty\, n.; pl. Majesties. [OE. magestee, F.
majest['e], L. majestas, fr. an old compar. of magnus great.
See Major, Master.]
The dignity and authority of sovereign power; quality or
state which inspires awe or reverence; grandeur; exalted
dignity, whether proceeding from rank, character, or bearing;
imposing loftiness; stateliness; -- usually applied to the
rank and dignity of sovereigns.
The Lord reigneth; he is clothed with majesty. --Ps.
No sovereign has ever represented the majesty of great
state with more dignity and grace. --Macaulay.
- Hence, used with the possessive pronoun, the title of an emperor, king or queen; -- in this sense taking a plural; as, their majesties attended the concert. In all the public writs which he [Emperor Charles V.] now issued as King of Spain, he assumed the title of Majesty, and required it from his subjects as a mark of respect. Before that time all the monarchs of Europe were satisfied with the appellation of Highness or Grace. --Robertson.
- Dignity; elevation of manner or style. --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Majesties'
- Their Satanic Majesties Request: Their Satanic Majesties Request is the sixth British and eighth American studio album by The Rolling Stones and was released on 8 December ...
- Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request: Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is the fourth album by The Brian Jonestown Massacre , it was the second of three critically ...
Words and phrases related to 'Majesties'
Majesties Sample Sentences in News
- Their Majesties discharged from Siriraj, return to Hua Hin
Their Majesties the King and Queen are scheduled to leave Siriraj Hospital and return to Klai Kangwon Palace in Hua Hin, Prachuap Khiri Khan Province, this evening. Read more on this news related to 'Majesties'
- Pattaya Mail
BANGKOK, 15 September 2014 – Throngs of loyal subjects lined the street to greet Their Majesties the King and Queen as they traveled from Siriraj Hospital in Bangkok to Klai Kangwon Palace in Prachuap Khiri Khan province today. Read more on this news related to 'Majesties'
- Thais flock to Siriraj to see Their Majesties leave for Hua Hin
Many people flocked to the Siriraj Hospital Monday morning to wait to see Their Majesties the King and Queen leave the Hospital at 5 pm. Read more on this news related to 'Majesties'