Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Majesties'
Majesties Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Majesty \Maj"es*ty\, n.; pl. Majesties. [OE. magestee, F.
majest['e], L. majestas, fr. an old compar. of magnus great.
See Major, Master.]
The dignity and authority of sovereign power; quality or
state which inspires awe or reverence; grandeur; exalted
dignity, whether proceeding from rank, character, or bearing;
imposing loftiness; stateliness; -- usually applied to the
rank and dignity of sovereigns.
The Lord reigneth; he is clothed with majesty. --Ps.
No sovereign has ever represented the majesty of great
state with more dignity and grace. --Macaulay.
- Hence, used with the possessive pronoun, the title of an emperor, king or queen; -- in this sense taking a plural; as, their majesties attended the concert. In all the public writs which he [Emperor Charles V.] now issued as King of Spain, he assumed the title of Majesty, and required it from his subjects as a mark of respect. Before that time all the monarchs of Europe were satisfied with the appellation of Highness or Grace. --Robertson.
- Dignity; elevation of manner or style. --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Majesties'
- Their Satanic Majesties Request: Their Satanic Majesties Request is the sixth British and eighth American studio album by The Rolling Stones and was released on 8 December ...
- Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request: Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is the fourth album by The Brian Jonestown Massacre , it was the second of three critically ...
Words and phrases related to 'Majesties'
Majesties Sample Sentences in News
- Calendar List
RED HATTERS - ELKINS PURPLE MAJESTIES will meet at 11:30 a.m. March 10 at Beanders. The cost is $13 per person. The menu is chicken salad melt sandwich, choice of potato soup or chicken soup, fresh chips and raspberry trifle. Read more on this news related to 'Majesties'
- Krewe of Eve queens toasted during Mardi Gras luncheon
Their Majesties, Queens of the Krewe of Eve, met for a gala luncheon at Benedict’s Plantation on Feb. 12. The Mardi Gras royals enjoyed reliving their moments in the spotlight and regaling highlights of their reigns. Joining the queens were... Read more on this news related to 'Majesties'