Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Majesties'
Majesties Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Majesty \Maj"es*ty\, n.; pl. Majesties. [OE. magestee, F.
majest['e], L. majestas, fr. an old compar. of magnus great.
See Major, Master.]
The dignity and authority of sovereign power; quality or
state which inspires awe or reverence; grandeur; exalted
dignity, whether proceeding from rank, character, or bearing;
imposing loftiness; stateliness; -- usually applied to the
rank and dignity of sovereigns.
The Lord reigneth; he is clothed with majesty. --Ps.
No sovereign has ever represented the majesty of great
state with more dignity and grace. --Macaulay.
- Hence, used with the possessive pronoun, the title of an emperor, king or queen; -- in this sense taking a plural; as, their majesties attended the concert. In all the public writs which he [Emperor Charles V.] now issued as King of Spain, he assumed the title of Majesty, and required it from his subjects as a mark of respect. Before that time all the monarchs of Europe were satisfied with the appellation of Highness or Grace. --Robertson.
- Dignity; elevation of manner or style. --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Majesties'
- Their Satanic Majesties Request: Their Satanic Majesties Request is the sixth British and eighth American studio album by The Rolling Stones and was released on 8 December ...
- Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request: Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is the fourth album by The Brian Jonestown Massacre , it was the second of three critically ...