Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Majesties'
Majesties Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Majesty \Maj"es*ty\, n.; pl. Majesties. [OE. magestee, F.
majest['e], L. majestas, fr. an old compar. of magnus great.
See Major, Master.]
The dignity and authority of sovereign power; quality or
state which inspires awe or reverence; grandeur; exalted
dignity, whether proceeding from rank, character, or bearing;
imposing loftiness; stateliness; -- usually applied to the
rank and dignity of sovereigns.
The Lord reigneth; he is clothed with majesty. --Ps.
No sovereign has ever represented the majesty of great
state with more dignity and grace. --Macaulay.
- Hence, used with the possessive pronoun, the title of an emperor, king or queen; -- in this sense taking a plural; as, their majesties attended the concert. In all the public writs which he [Emperor Charles V.] now issued as King of Spain, he assumed the title of Majesty, and required it from his subjects as a mark of respect. Before that time all the monarchs of Europe were satisfied with the appellation of Highness or Grace. --Robertson.
- Dignity; elevation of manner or style. --Dryden.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Majesties'
- Their Satanic Majesties Request: Their Satanic Majesties Request is the sixth British and eighth American studio album by The Rolling Stones and was released on 8 December ...
- Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request: Their Satanic Majesties' Second Request is the fourth album by The Brian Jonestown Massacre , it was the second of three critically ...
Words and phrases related to 'Majesties'
Majesties Sample Sentences in News
- For purple mountain majesties, drive Trail Ridge Road
ESTES PARK, Colorado -- If you’ve ever listened to “America the Beautiful” and wondered about the line “for purple mountain majesties,” drive Trail Ridge Road through Rocky Mountain National Park. Read more on this news related to 'Majesties'
- Top 10 national parks
From purple mountain majesties to amber waves of grain, the diversity and drama of America’s natural landscape is rivaled by few other nations. Read more on this news related to 'Majesties'
- Pattaya Mail
His Royal Highness Crown Prince Maha Vajiralongkorn was born on July 28, 1952, in the Ambara Villa of the Royal Dusit Palace in Bangkok. He is the second of four children, and is the only son of Their Majesties King Bhumibol Adulyadej the Great and Queen Sirikit. Read more on this news related to 'Majesties'