Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Maiden'
adj : serving to set in motion; "the magazine's inaugural issue";
"the initiative phase in the negotiations"; "an
initiatory step toward a treaty"; "his first (or
maiden) speech in Congress"; "the liner's maiden
voyage" [syn: inaugural, initiative, initiatory,
- an unmarried girl (especially a virgin) [syn: maid]
- (cricket) an over in which no runs are scored [syn: maiden over}]
- Maiden \Maid"en\, a.
- Of or pertaining to a maiden, or to maidens; suitable to, or characteristic of, a virgin; as, maiden innocence. ``Amid the maiden throng.'' --Addison. Have you no modesty, no maiden shame ? --Shak.
- Never having been married; not having had sexual intercourse; virgin; -- said usually of the woman, but sometimes of the man; as, a maiden aunt. ``A surprising old maiden lady.'' --Thackeray.
- Fresh; innocent; unpolluted; pure; hitherto unused. ``Maiden flowers.'' --Shak. Full bravely hast thou fleshed Thy maiden sword. --Shak.
- Used of a fortress, signifying that it has never been captured, or violated. -- T. Warton. Macaulay. Maiden assize (Eng. Law), an assize which there is no criminal prosecution; an assize which is unpolluted with blood. It was usual, at such an assize, for the sheriff to present the judge with a pair of white gloves. --Smart. Maiden name, the surname of a woman before her marriage. Maiden pink. (Bot.) See under Pink. Maiden plum (Bot.), a West Indian tree (Comocladia integrifolia}) with purplish drupes. The sap of the tree is glutinous, and gives a persistent black stain. Maiden speech, the first speech made by a person, esp. by a new member in a public body. Maiden tower, the tower most capable of resisting an enemy.
- Maiden \Maid"en\, n. [OE. maiden, meiden, AS. m[ae]gden, dim. of
AS. m[ae]g?, fr. mago son, servant; akin to G. magd,
m["a]dchen, maid, OHG. magad, Icel. m["o]gr son, Goth. magus
boy, child, magaps virgin, and perh. to Zend. magu youth. Cf.
Maid a virgin.]
- An unmarried woman; a girl or woman who has not experienced sexual intercourse; a virgin; a maid.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Maiden'
A virgin (or maiden) originally meant a woman who has never had sexual intercourse. Virginity is the state of being a virgin. It is derived from the Latin virgo, which means "sexually inexperienced woman". As in Latin, the English word is also often used with wider reference, by relaxing the age, gender or sexual criteria. Hence, more mature women can be virgins (The Virgin Queen), men can be virgins, and potential initiates into many fields can be colloquially termed virgins; for example, a skydiving "virgin". In the latter usage, virgin simply means uninitiated.
By extension from its primary sense, the idea that a virgin has a sexual "blank slate",
The loss of virginity may call to mind the end of innocence, and the beginning of sexual maturity. In this association "virgin" often references the first instance of a potentially extended series of like events. Just as extra-virgin olive oil is from the first pressing, so a maiden or virgin speech is an incumbent's first address. The same metaphor, using the synonym maiden, is applied to the first or maiden voyage of a ship. In cricket, a maiden over is an over from which no runs were scored. Maiden castles are those with the reputation of never having been captured.[See more about Maiden at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Maiden'
'Maiden' in famous quotation sentence
* I don't have a bank account, because I don't know my mother's maiden name. - Paula Poundstone
Click here for more related quotations on 'Maiden'
Maiden Sample Sentences in News
- Maiden Holdings, Ltd. to Release First Quarter 2014 Earnings on May 7, 2014 and Host Conference Call on May 8, 2014
HAMILTON, Bermuda -- Maiden Holdings, Ltd. ("Maiden") plans to release first quarter 2014 financial results following the market close on Wednesday, May 7, 2014. Art Raschbaum, Chief Executive ... Read more on this news related to 'Maiden'
- Maiden Holdings Scales 52-Week High
On March 25, 2014, shares of Maiden Holdings touched a 52-week high of $13.48. Read more on this news related to 'Maiden'
- Is Maiden (MHLD) Run to $10 Just the Beginning?
Maiden hit a new high with upward movement in recent estimate revision activity and holds a Zacks Rank #2, suggesting that there might be more to come and the stock will further gain in the near term. Read more on this news related to 'Maiden'