Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Looser'
Looser Meaning and Definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
- Loose \Loose\, a. [Compar. Looser; superl. Loosest.] [OE.
loos, lous, laus, Icel. lauss; akin to OD. loos, D. los, AS.
le['a]s false, deceitful, G. los, loose, Dan. & Sw. l["o]s,
Goth. laus, and E. lose. ? See Lose, and cf. Leasing
- Unbound; untied; unsewed; not attached, fastened, fixed, or confined; as, the loose sheets of a book. Her hair, nor loose, nor tied in formal plat. --Shak.
- Free from constraint or obligation; not bound by duty, habit, etc.; -- with from or of. Now I stand Loose of my vow; but who knows Cato's thoughts ? --Addison.
- Not tight or close; as, a loose garment.
- Not dense, close, compact, or crowded; as, a cloth of loose texture. With horse and chariots ranked in loose array. --Milton.
- Not precise or exact; vague; indeterminate; as, a loose style, or way of reasoning. The comparison employed . . . must be considered rather as a loose analogy than as an exact scientific explanation. --Whewel.
- Not strict in matters of morality; not rigid according to some standard of right. The loose morality which he had learned. --Sir W. Scott.
- Unconnected; rambling. Vario spends whole mornings in running over loose and unconnected pages. --I. Watts.
- Lax; not costive; having lax bowels. --Locke.
- Dissolute; unchaste; as, a loose man or woman. Loose ladies in delight. --Spenser.
- Containing or consisting of obscene or unchaste language; as, a loose epistle. -- Dryden. At loose ends, not in order; in confusion; carelessly managed. Fast and loose. See under Fast. To break loose. See under Break. Loose pulley. (Mach.) See Fast and loose pulleys, under Fast. To let loose, to free from restraint or confinement; to set at liberty.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Looser'
- Gualterio Looser: Gualterio Looser Schallemberg (September 4, 1898, Santiago-July 22, 1982) was a Chile an botanist and engineer of Swiss parentage He ...
Words and phrases related to 'Looser'
Looser Sample Sentences in News
- Looser pot laws may be on Tory horizon
The Conservative government is seriously considering looser marijuana laws that would allow police to ticket anyone caught with small amounts of pot instead of laying charges, Justice Minister Peter MacKay said Wednesday. Read more on this news related to 'Looser'
- Looser pot laws looming, MacKay suggests
OTTAWA - The Conservative government is seriously considering looser marijuana laws that would allow police to ticket anyone caught with small amounts of pot instead of laying charges, Justice Minister Peter MacKay said Wednesday. Read more on this news related to 'Looser'
- What is art? Don't overthink it
The definition of art seems to get looser and looser with every Kanye West interview. Like West's metaphors, modern art can be so out there that I often have a hard time connecting with it. Jerry Saltz, New York magazine's resident art critic, agreed to enlighten me by walking me through some of the city's finest contemporary galleries. At our first st Read more on this news related to 'Looser'