Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Loftier'
Loftier Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- of high moral or intellectual value; elevated in nature or style; "an exalted ideal"; "argue in terms of high-flown ideals"- Oliver Franks; "a noble and lofty concept" [syn: exalted, high-flown, high-minded, rarefied, rarified, idealistic, noble-minded]
- of imposing height; especially standing out above others; "an eminent peak"; "lofty mountains"; "the soaring spires of the cathedral"; "towering iceburgs" [syn: eminent, soaring, towering]
- having or displaying great dignity or nobility; "a gallant pageant"; "lofty ships"; "majestic cities"; "proud alpine peaks" [syn: gallant, majestic, proud] [also: loftiest, loftier]
- Lofty \Loft"y\, a. [Compar. Loftier; superl. Loftiest.]
- Lifted high up; having great height; towering; high. See lofty Lebanon his head advance. --Pope.
- Fig.: Elevated in character, rank, dignity, spirit, bearing, language, etc.; exalted; noble; stately; characterized by pride; haughty. The high and lofty One, that inhabiteth eternity. --Is. lvii. 15. Lofty and sour to them that loved him not. --Shak. Himself to sing, and build the lofty rhyme. --Milton. Syn: Tall; high; exalted; dignified; stately; majestic; sublime; proud; haughty. See Tall.