Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Lodge'
Lodge Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- English physicist who studied electromagnetic radiation and was a pioneer of radiotelegraphy (1851-1940) [syn: Sir Oliver Lodge, Sir Oliver Joseph Lodge]
- a formal association of people with similar interests; "he joined a golf club"; "they formed a small lunch society"; "men from the fraternal order will staff the soup kitchen today" [syn: club, society, guild, gild, order]
- small house at the entrance to the grounds of a country mansion; usually occupied by a gatekeeper or gardener
- a small (rustic) house used as a temporary shelter [syn: hunting lodge}]
- any of various native American dwellings [syn: indian lodge]
- a hotel providing overnight lodging for travelers [syn: hostel, hostelry, inn] v
- be a lodger; stay temporarily; "Where are you lodging in Paris?"
- fix, force, or implant; "lodge a bullet in the table" [syn: wedge, stick, deposit] [ant: dislodge]
- file a formal charge against; "The suspect was charged with murdering his wife" [syn: charge, file]
- provide housing for; "We are lodging three foreign students this semester" [syn: accommodate]
- Lodge \Lodge\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Lodged; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To rest or remain a lodge house, or other shelter; to rest; to stay; to abide; esp., to sleep at night; as, to lodge in York Street. --Chaucer. Stay and lodge by me this night. --Shak. Something holy lodges in that breast. --Milton.
- To fall or lie down, as grass or grain, when overgrown or beaten down by the wind. --Mortimer.
- To come to a rest; to stop and remain; as, the bullet lodged in the bark of a tree.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Lodge'
- Lodge: Lodge generally refers to a compact dwelling intended for infrequent stays, as for hunting , etc. Lodge may also refer to: Masonic Lodge , ...
- Masonic Lodge: A Masonic Lodge, often termed a Private Lodge or Constituent Lodge in Books of Constitutions, is the basic organisation of Freemasonry . ...
- Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr.: Henry Cabot Lodge, Jr. (July 5, 1902 February 27, 1985) was a Republican United States Senator from Massachusetts and a U.S. ambassador ...
- Henry Cabot Lodge: Henry Cabot Lodge (May 12, 1850 November 9, 1924) was a US statesman, a Republican politician, and a noted historian from Massachusetts . ...
- Oliver Joseph Lodge: Sir Oliver Joseph Lodge, FRS (12 June 1851 – 22 August 1940) was a British physicist and writer involved in the development of key ...
- Thomas Lodge: Thomas Lodge (c. 1558 – September 1625) was an English dramatist and writer of the Elizabethan and Jacobean periods. Early life and ...
Words and phrases related to 'Lodge'
Lodge Sample Sentences in News
- Sun Valley Resort plans major remodel of lodge
Sun Valley Resort plans to close Sun Valley Lodge for nine months starting in September for an extensive remodel. Plans include a three-story, 20,000-square-foot spa that will be added to the northern ... Read more on this news related to 'Lodge'
- Nelson lodge joins Heritage Boutique Collection
The Heritage Boutique Collection welcomes Lake Rotoroa Lodge, the fourth South Island hotel to join the Collection. Lake Rotoroa Lodge is 90 minutes drive or a short helicopter ride from Nelson and is set in the Nelson Lakes National Park at the northern tip of the Southern Alps. The luxury lodge’s isolated and idyllic lake side location is surrounded by vast he Read more on this news related to 'Lodge'
- Weekend away: Binna Burra Mountain Lodge, Beechmont
Hannah Tall finds her head in the clouds at Binna Burra Mountain Lodge. Read more on this news related to 'Lodge'