Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Littering'
- Litter \Lit"ter\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Littered; p. pr. & vb.
- To supply with litter, as cattle; to cover with litter, as the floor of a stall. Tell them how they litter their jades. --Bp. Hacke?. For his ease, well littered was the floor. --Dryden.
- To put into a confused or disordered condition; to strew with scattered articles; as, to litter a room. The room with volumes littered round. --Swift.
- To give birth to; to bear; -- said of brutes, esp. those which produce more than one at a birth, and also of human beings, in abhorrence or contempt. We might conceive that dogs were created blind, because we observe they were littered so with us. --Sir T. Browne. The son that she did litter here, A freckled whelp hagborn. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Littering'
Litter consists of waste products such as containers, papers, and wrappers which have been disposed of without consent. Litter can also be used as a verb. To litter means to throw litter onto the ground as opposed to disposing of it properly.
Throughout human history, people have disposed of unwanted materials onto streets, countrysides and remote places, unpunished.
In the 14th century, the rise of waste in Europe helped contribute to the bubonic plague. Black rats, carrying the fleas which were the vectors for the plague, fed off the food scraps. Many plagues were started from litter.
In addition to intentional littering, almost half of litter on U.S. roadways is now a result of accidental or unintentional litter, debris that falls off of improperly secured trash and recycling collection vehicles and pickup trucks.[See more about Littering at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Littering'
Littering Sample Sentences in News
- Littering Laws Now Enforced Citywide
But police warn that civil violations usually have a low compliance rate. [ more › ] Read more on this news related to 'Littering'
- Troy toughens litter control
Troy The City Council is looking at raising the stakes for absentee landlords when it comes to littering at their properties. A proposed amendment to the city's littering ordinance would make violators subject to the nuisance points system that could lead to the shutting down of a rental property. Councilman Jim Gordon and Councilman Gary Galuski, chairman of Read more on this news related to 'Littering'
- Littering adds up
Controller notes increase in fines collected in years past, but far more go uncollected. Read more on this news related to 'Littering'