Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Littering'
- Litter \Lit"ter\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Littered; p. pr. & vb.
- To supply with litter, as cattle; to cover with litter, as the floor of a stall. Tell them how they litter their jades. --Bp. Hacke?. For his ease, well littered was the floor. --Dryden.
- To put into a confused or disordered condition; to strew with scattered articles; as, to litter a room. The room with volumes littered round. --Swift.
- To give birth to; to bear; -- said of brutes, esp. those which produce more than one at a birth, and also of human beings, in abhorrence or contempt. We might conceive that dogs were created blind, because we observe they were littered so with us. --Sir T. Browne. The son that she did litter here, A freckled whelp hagborn. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Littering'
Litter consists of waste products such as containers, papers, and wrappers which have been disposed of without consent. Litter can also be used as a verb. To litter means to throw litter onto the ground as opposed to disposing of it properly.
Throughout human history, people have disposed of unwanted materials onto streets, countrysides and remote places, unpunished.
In the 14th century, the rise of waste in Europe helped contribute to the bubonic plague. Black rats, carrying the fleas which were the vectors for the plague, fed off the food scraps. Many plagues were started from litter.
In addition to intentional littering, almost half of litter on U.S. roadways is now a result of accidental or unintentional litter, debris that falls off of improperly secured trash and recycling collection vehicles and pickup trucks.[See more about Littering at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Littering'
Littering Sample Sentences in News
- Littering adds up
Controller notes increase in fines collected in years past, but far more go uncollected. Read more on this news related to 'Littering'
- City of Toronto anti-litter ads trashed due to trademark concerns
A clever anti-littering campaign launched by the City of Toronto using brand-name packaging has been pulled due to trademark infringement concerns. Read more on this news related to 'Littering'
- Toronto pulls popular anti-littering ads after companies complain
Good news for urban litterbugs: you can return to dropping your garbage on the street without being stylishly berated by the City of Toronto. After rolling out a slick ad campaign that used brand-name packages to spell out epithets like “Pig” and “Lowlife,” accompanied by the tagline “Littering says a lot about you,” the city has pulled the images beca Read more on this news related to 'Littering'