Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Littering'
- Litter \Lit"ter\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Littered; p. pr. & vb.
- To supply with litter, as cattle; to cover with litter, as the floor of a stall. Tell them how they litter their jades. --Bp. Hacke?. For his ease, well littered was the floor. --Dryden.
- To put into a confused or disordered condition; to strew with scattered articles; as, to litter a room. The room with volumes littered round. --Swift.
- To give birth to; to bear; -- said of brutes, esp. those which produce more than one at a birth, and also of human beings, in abhorrence or contempt. We might conceive that dogs were created blind, because we observe they were littered so with us. --Sir T. Browne. The son that she did litter here, A freckled whelp hagborn. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Littering'
Litter consists of waste products such as containers, papers, and wrappers which have been disposed of without consent. Litter can also be used as a verb. To litter means to throw litter onto the ground as opposed to disposing of it properly.
Throughout human history, people have disposed of unwanted materials onto streets, countrysides and remote places, unpunished.
In the 14th century, the rise of waste in Europe helped contribute to the bubonic plague. Black rats, carrying the fleas which were the vectors for the plague, fed off the food scraps. Many plagues were started from litter.
In addition to intentional littering, almost half of litter on U.S. roadways is now a result of accidental or unintentional litter, debris that falls off of improperly secured trash and recycling collection vehicles and pickup trucks.[See more about Littering at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Littering'
Littering Sample Sentences in News
- Volunteers help curb littering
SINGAPORE - Are fewer Singapore residents littering in recent years? Figures from the National Environment Agency (NEA) seem to indicate so. RELATED STORIES Bright spots in anti-litter battle Last year, 9,346 tickets were issued for littering offences, down from 11,131 in 2011, and a slight increase from 8,195 in 2012. In 2010, 23,898 tickets were issued. In 2009, Read more on this news related to 'Littering'
- Roanoke courts upholding littering citations
Out of 147 littering cases from 2008-2013, only seven were dismissed in Roanoke City General District Court. Read more on this news related to 'Littering'
- Roanoke County sees success with anti-littering campaign
Roanoke County Police received nearly 60 reports of littering in the first six weeks of the campaign. Read more on this news related to 'Littering'