Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Listening'
adj : attending to or alert for sound; "be wary of listening
ears"; "government-maintained listening posts"
n : the act of hearing attentively; "you can learn a lot by just
listening"; "they make good music--you should give them a
hearing" [syn: hearing]
- Listen \Lis"ten\, v. i. [imp. & p. p. Listened; p. pr. & vb.
n. Listening.] [OE. listnen, listen, lustnen, lusten, AS.
hlystan; akin to hlyst hearing, OS. hlust, Icel. hlusta to
listen, hlust ear, AS. hlosnian to wait in suspense, OHG.
hlos[=e]n to listen, Gr. ?, and E. loud. [root]4
- See Loud, and cf. List to listen.]
- To give close attention with the purpose of hearing; to give ear; to hearken; to attend. When we have occasion to listen, and give a more particular attention to same sound, the tympanum is drawn to a more than ordinary tension. --Holder.
- To give heed; to yield to advice; to follow admonition; to obey. Listen to me, and by me be ruled. --Tennyson. To listen after, to take an interest in. [Obs.] Soldiers note forts, armories, and magazines; scholars listen after libraries, disputations, and professors. --Fuller. Syn: To attend; hearken. See Attend.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Listening'
Hearing (or audition; adjectival form: "auditory" or "aural") is the ability to perceive sound by detecting vibrations through an organ such as the ear. It is one of the traditional five senses. The inability to hear is called deafness.
In humans and other vertebrates, hearing is performed primarily by the auditory system: vibrations are detected by the ear and transduced into nerve impulses that are perceived by the brain (primarily in the temporal lobe). Like touch, audition requires sensitivity to the movement of molecules in the world outside the organism. Both hearing and touch are types of mechanosensation.
Hearing can be measured by behavioral tests using an audiometer. Electrophysiological tests of hearing can provide accurate measurements of hearing thresholds even in unconscious subjects. Such tests include auditory brainstem evoked potentials (ABR), otoacoustic emissions (OAE) and electrocochleography (EchoG). Technical advances in these tests have allowed hearing screening for infants to become widespread.[See more about Listening at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Listening'
'Listening' in famous quotation sentence
* I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen. - Ernest Hemingway
* Trees are the earth's endless effort to speak to the listening heaven. - Rabindranath Tagore
Click here for more related quotations on 'Listening'
Listening Sample Sentences in News
- We’re listening!
Alejandra Rico helping a patron at the Carbondale branch library. In 2007, the Garfield County Libraries conducted six community meetings to understand what our users were looking for in the new library facilities. We listened, and delivered on our promises. Read more on this news related to 'Listening'
- Snowboard injuries while listening to music less frequent, more severe
By Shereen Lehman NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Snowboarders who use personal music players while boarding have fewer injuries but the injuries they do sustain tend to be more severe, reports a new study from Canada. Typical risk factors for snowboard injuries include being at an intermediate skill level, snowboarding at night and using jump or half-pipe features at Read more on this news related to 'Listening'
- NPR One, Now Available At Your Preferred App Store
Meet the new NPR One, a digital listening app that blends NPR and Member Station news reporting into a rich, localized, on-demand experience. Read more on this news related to 'Listening'