Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Linotype'
Linotype Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
n : a typesetting machine operated from a keyboard that casts an
entire line as a single slug of metal [syn: Linotype
- Linotype \Lin"o*type\, n. [See Line; Type.] (Print.)
(a) A kind of typesetting machine which produces castings,
each of which corresponds to a line of separate types. By
pressing upon keys like those of a typewriter the
matrices for one line are properly arranged; the
stereotype, or slug, is then cast and planed, and the
matrices are returned to their proper places, the whole
process being automatic.
(b) The slug produced by the machine, or matter composed in
such lines. -- Lin"o*typ`ist, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Linotype'
- Linotype: Linotype can refer to: Linotype (alloy) Mergenthaler Linotype Company Linotype machine -
- Linotype machine: The Linotype typesetting machine (ˈlaɪnətaɪp line-o-type) is a "line casting" machine used in printing . The name of the machine comes ...
- Mergenthaler Linotype Company: The Mergenthaler Linotype Company is a corporation founded in the United States in 1886 to market the linecaster invented by Ottmar ...
- Linotype (alloy): Linotype or eutectic alloy is a broad name applied to five categories of lead alloy s used in manufacture of type , each with three to ...
- Linotype-Hell DaVinci: Linotype-Hell DaVinci was an image manipulation program targeted at the repro and print shop markets. It originally ran on proprietary ...
Words and phrases related to 'Linotype'
Linotype Sample Sentences in News
- No current Linotype news