Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Lingering'
Lingering Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
adj : continuing for a long time; "a lingering sense of guilt"
n : the act of tarrying [syn: tarriance]
- Linger \Lin"ger\ (l[i^][ng]"g[~e]r), v. i. [imp. & p. p.
Lingered (-g[~e]rd); p. pr. & vb. n. Lingering.] [OE.
lengen to tarry, AS. lengan to prolong, put off, fr. lang
- See Long, a.] To delay; to loiter; to remain or wait long; to be slow or reluctant in parting or moving; to be slow in deciding; to be in suspense; to hesitate. Nor cast one longing, lingering look behind. --Gray. Perhaps thou linger'st, in deep thoughts detained. --Milton. Syn: To loiter; lag; saunter; delay; tarry; stop; hesitate.
- Lingering \Lin"ger*ing\, a.
- Drawn out in time; remaining long; protracted; as, a lingering disease. To die is the fate of man; but to die with lingering anguish is generally his folly. --Rambler.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Lingering'
- Lingering Garden: Lingering Garden. (s 留园 | t 留園 | p Liú Yuán is a renowned classical Chinese garden . It is located at 338 Liuyuan Rd. Suzhou , Jiangsu ...
- A Lingering Face: A Lingering Face. (c 非常夏日 | p Fēicháng xiàrì | l A curious summer day is a 2000 Chinese film directed by Lu Xuechang . The film is Lu's ...
Words and phrases related to 'Lingering'
Lingering Sample Sentences in News
- Demons of a British ghetto - Blogs - DAWN.COM
With the obscurantist clouds of undeserved blame and castigation lingering so low and so dark, the reality of actual evil cannot be seen. —File photo With the obscurantist clouds of undeserved blame and castigation lingering so low and so dark, the reality of actual evil cannot be seen. Read more on this news related to 'Lingering'
- Marines’ Chesty XIV Promoted to Corporal, Despite Taste for Snacks
Despite lingering questions over his eating habits, the Marine Corps promoted its bulldog mascot to corporal. Read more on this news related to 'Lingering'
- Serial flight stowaway from California arrested in Arizona
A serial airplane stowaway recently released from jail in California was arrested in Arizona on Tuesday on charges of criminal trespass for lingering at the Phoenix airport without a ticket, police said. Marilyn Hartman, 62, was arrested at Sky Harbor Airport after she was recognized by employees while wandering in the baggage claim area, said Phoenix Police Serge Read more on this news related to 'Lingering'