Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Limiting'
- restricting the scope or freedom of action [syn: confining, constraining, constrictive, restricting]
- strictly limiting the reference of a modified word or phrase; "the restrictive clause in `Each made a list of the books that had influenced him' limits the books on the list to only those particular ones defined by the clause" n : the grammatical relation that exists when a word qualifies the meaning of the phrase [syn: modification, qualifying]
- Limit \Lim"it\ (l[i^]m"[i^]t), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Limited; p.
pr. & vb. n. Limiting.] [F. limiter, L. limitare, fr.
limes, limitis, limit; prob. akin to limen threshold, E.
eliminate; cf. L. limus sidelong.]
To apply a limit to, or set a limit for; to terminate,
circumscribe, or restrict, by a limit or limits; as, to limit
the acreage of a crop; to limit the issue of paper money; to
limit one's ambitions or aspirations; to limit the meaning of
Limiting parallels (Astron.), those parallels of latitude
between which only an occultation of a star or planet by
the moon, in a given case, can occur.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Limiting'
Limiting: Any process by which a specified characteristic (usually amplitude) of the output of a device is prevented from exceeding a predetermined value.
Limiting can refer to non-linear clipping, in which a signal is passed through normally but "sheared off" when it would normally exceed a certain threshold. It can also refer to a type of variable-gain audio level compression, in which the gain of an amplifier is changed very quickly to prevent the signal from going over a certain amplitude.
This article incorporates public domain material from the General Services Administration document "Federal Standard 1037C" (in support of MIL-STD-188).[See more about Limiting at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Limiting'
'Limiting' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Limiting'
Limiting Sample Sentences in News
- Tibet puts 20-person limit on tour buses
BEIJING (AP) — Chinese authorities are limiting the number of passengers aboard tour buses on mountain roads of Tibet, following two fatal accidents involving such buses. Read more on this news related to 'Limiting'
- Your Limiting Beliefs Are Sabotaging Your Investment Returns
By Evan Bleker. Read more » » Check out Warren Buffett Stock Picks » Download GuruFolio Report of Warren Buffett (Updated on 08/19/2014) , Check out Joel Greenblatt Stock Picks » Download GuruFolio Report of Joel Greenblatt (Updated on 08/19/2014) Read more on this news related to 'Limiting'
- Raleigh City Leaders Consider Limiting Downtown Races
City leaders look to make changes to limit how many races go through downtown Raleigh. The proposal discussed Tuesday is part of several recommendations by the city's Special Events Office as it tries to manage all special events in the downtown area. Read more on this news related to 'Limiting'