Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Like'
- resembling or similar; having the same or some of the same characteristics; often used in combination; "suits of like design"; "a limited circle of like minds"; "members of the cat family have like dispositions"; "as like as two peas in a pod"; "doglike devotion"; "a dreamlike quality" [syn: similar] [ant: unlike]
- equal in amount or value; "like amounts"; "equivalent amounts"; "the same amount"; "gave one six blows and the other a like number"; "an equal number"; "the same number" [syn: equal, equivalent, same] [ant: unlike]
- having the same or similar characteristics; "all politicians are alike"; "they looked utterly alike"; "friends are generaly alike in background and taste" [syn: alike(p), similar] [ant: unalike]
- conforming in every respect; "boxes with corresponding dimensions"; "the like period of the preceding year" [syn: comparable, corresponding] v
- prefer or wish to do something; "Do you care to try this dish?"; "Would you like to come along to the movies?" [syn: wish, care]
- find enjoyable or agreeable; "I like jogging"; "She likes to read Russian novels" [ant: dislike]
- be fond of; "I like my nephews"
- feel about or towards; consider, evaluate, or regard; "How did you like the President's speech last night?"
- want to have; "I'd like a beer now!"
- Like \Like\ (l[imac]k), a. [Compar. Liker (l[imac]k"[~e]r);
superl. Likest.] [OE. lik, ilik, gelic, AS. gel[=i]c, fr.
pref. ge- + l[=i]c body, and orig. meaning, having the same
body, shape, or appearance, and hence, like; akin to OS.
gil[=i]k, D. gelijk, G. gleich, OHG. gil[=i]h, Icel. l[=i]kr,
gl[=i]kr, Dan. lig, Sw. lik, Goth. galeiks, OS. lik body, D.
lijk, G. leiche, Icel. l[=i]k, Sw. lik, Goth. leik. The
English adverbial ending-ly is from the same adjective. Cf.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Like'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Like'
In the English language, the word like has a very flexible range of uses, ranging from conventional to non-standard. It can be used as a noun, verb, adverb, adjective, preposition, particle, conjunction, hedge, interjection, and quotative.
Like is one of the words in the English language that can introduce a simile (a stylistic device comparing two dissimilar ideas) as in, "He plays like Okocha". It can also be used in non-simile comparisons such as, "He has a toy like hers".
Like is often used in place of the subordinating conjunction as, or as if. Examples:
Many people became aware of the two options in 1954, when a famous ad campaign for Winston cigarettes introduced the slogan "Winston tastes good — like a cigarette should." The slogan was criticized for its usage by prescriptivists, the "as" or "as if" construction being considered more proper. Winston countered with another ad, featuring a woman with greying hair in a bun who insists that ought to be "Winston tastes good as a cigarette should" and is shouted down by happy cigarette smokers asking "What do you want — good grammar or good taste?"[See more about Like at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Like'
'Like' in famous quotation sentence
* In the United States, doing good has come to be, like patriotism, a favorite device of persons with something to sell. - H.L. Mencken
* Men are the only animals that devote themselves, day in and day out, to making one another unhappy. It is an art like any other. Its virtuosi are called altruists. - H.L. Mencken
Click here for more related quotations on 'Like'
Like Sample Sentences in News
- Mystery of Bizarre Duck-Like Ocean Sound Solved
A mysterious duck-like sound recorded in the ocean around Antarctica has baffled scientists for decades, but the source of the sound has finally been found, researchers say. "In the beginning, no one really knew what it was," said Denise Risch, a marine biologist at NOAA Northeast Fisheries Science Center in Woods Hole, Mass. Because the sound was so rep Read more on this news related to 'Like'
- It's Like Online Dating, But for Pets
It’s like online dating—except for people seeking dogs or cats or chinchillas or whatever else many be the prefect one for them. How much is the online experience like using eHarmony, say, or Match.com? “It’s exactly like using Match.com,” says Darrell Lerner, who ought to know. Before he founded pet-finder site Allpaws (which currently has 82,960 pets a Read more on this news related to 'Like'
- Gucci's sales growth remains sluggish in Q1
* Gucci like-for-like sales growth 0.3 pct in Q1, down 3.2 pct reported PARIS, April 24 (Reuters) - Gucci's sales growth remained sluggish in the first three months of the year, hit in part by the brand's upmarket repositioning and the clean-up of its wholesale distribution network. The Italian brand, which represents the bulk of valuation for parent Kerin Read more on this news related to 'Like'