Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Lid'
Lid Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- either of two folds of skin that can be moved to cover or open the eye; "his lids would stay open no longer" [syn: eyelid, palpebra]
- a movable top or cover (hinged or separate) for closing the opening of a container
- headdress that protects the head from bad weather; has shaped crown and usually a brim [syn: hat, chapeau]
- Lid \Lid\ (l[i^]d), n. [AS. hlid, fr. hl[=i]dan (in comp.) to
cover, shut; akin to OS. hl[=i]dan (in comp.), D. lid lid,
OHG. hlit, G. augenlid eyelid, Icel. hli[eth] gate, gateway.
- That which covers the opening of a vessel or box, etc.; a movable cover; as, the lid of a chest or trunk.
- The cover of the eye; an eyelid. --Shak. Tears, big tears, gushed from the rough soldier's lid. --Byron.
- (Bot.) (a) The cover of the spore cases of mosses. (b) A calyx which separates from the flower, and falls off in a single piece, as in the Australian Eucalypti. (c) The top of an ovary which opens transversely, as in the fruit of the purslane and the tree which yields Brazil nuts.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Lid'
- Lid: LID is an abbreviation for: Light-Weight Identity protocol, a mechanism for claiming and verifying identity on the Internet. Lawson Insight ...
- LIDS: See also: Lid (s)
- LID: LID is an abbreviation for: Language Independent Datatypes (computer science). Now renamed to General Purpose Datatypes . League for ...
- LiD: LiD can refer to: Lewica i Demokraci , a Polish political coalition. Lithium deuteride.
- Lid (container): A lid, also known as a cap, is part of a container , and serves as the cover or seal , usually one that completely closes the object. ...
- Eyelid: It mostly affects the lower lid and it is characterized by the turning inward of the lid, toward globe.• Ectropion is another aging- ...
- Mons Lid: Mons Lid (1896-1967) was Norwegian Minister of Finance in 1955-1956 From 1949 to 1966 he was County Governor of Hordaland References ...
Words and phrases related to 'Lid'
Lid Sample Sentences in News
- Home Depot puts a lid on new-store openings: WSJ
(Reuters) - Home Depot Inc is putting a lid on new-store openings and focusing its expansion efforts on e-commerce, which presents some logistical challenges for a retailer that sells a lot of bulky materials, the Wall Street Journal reported. "The retail model forever was to increase sales through opening additional units, but as you added stores to a finite Read more on this news related to 'Lid'
- Swivel Lid QFN Socket operates at bandwidths up to 40 GHz.
Used to socket 13 x 19 mm, mixed pitch QFN package on application board, SM-QFN-9019 connects all pins with 40 GHz bandwidth on all connections and offers <1 dB insertion loss. Contact resistance is 15 mΩ typ per pin, and insertion method accelerates IC changeout. Mounted on target PCB without any soldering, design dissipates few watts with compression Read more on this news related to 'Lid'
- Home Depot's new strategy: e-commerce
Home Depot is putting a lid on new-store openings and focusing its expansion efforts on e-commerce. Read more on this news related to 'Lid'