Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Levity'
Levity Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- feeling an inappropriate lack of seriousness [ant: gravity]
- lightness of manner
- Levity \Lev"i*ty\ (l[e^]v"[i^]*t[y^]), n. [L. levitas, fr. levis
light in weight; akin to levare to raise. See Lever, n.]
- The quality of weighing less than something else of equal bulk; relative lightness, especially as shown by rising through, or floating upon, a contiguous substance; buoyancy; -- opposed to gravity. He gave the form of levity to that which ascended; to that which descended, the form of gravity. --Sir. W. Raleigh. This bubble by reason of its comparative levity to the fluidity that incloses it, would ascend to the top. --Bentley.
- Lack of gravity and earnestness in deportment or character; trifling gayety; frivolity; sportiveness; vanity. `` A spirit of levity and libertinism.'' --Atterbury. He never employed his omnipotence out of levity. --Calamy.
- Lack of steadiness or constancy; disposition to change; fickleness; volatility. The levity that is fatigued and disgusted with everything of which it is in possession. --Burke. Syn: Inconstancy; thoughtlessness; unsteadiness; inconsideration; volatility; flightiness. Usage: Levity, Volatility, Flightiness. All these words relate to outward conduct. Levity springs from a lightness of mind which produces a disregard of the proprieties of time and place.Volatility is a degree of levity which causes the thoughts to fly from one object to another, without resting on any for a moment. Flightiness is volatility carried to an extreme which often betrays its subject into gross impropriety or weakness. Levity of deportment, of conduct, of remark; volatility of temper, of spirits; flightiness of mind or disposition.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Levity'
- Levity: Levity may refer to. a sense of amusement, the opposite of gravitas Levity (film). Levity (soundtrack), the same titled soundtracked for the ...
- Levity (film): Levity is a 2003 drama movie , directed by Ed Solomon . Its theatrical release was on April 4. The score for this film was composed by ...
- Levity (soundtrack): Levity is a soundtrack produced by Mark Oliver Everett for the 2003 film of the same name . Two of the tracks were used for the film ...
- Levity Entertainment Group: Levity Entertainment Group has four distinct divisions: Levity Production & Management (artist management and comedy production), Triage ...
Words and phrases related to 'Levity'
Levity Sample Sentences in News
- Garza, Lohse bring levity, leadership to Brewers
Chances are, the loudest sound that can be heard in the Milwaukee Brewers clubhouse before the start of a spring training workday is pitcher Matt Garza's playful voice. The locker to Garza's right belongs to respected righty Kyle Lohse, who can often be found sharing a laugh with his fellow starter in the midst of ''Pitchers Row.'' The vete Read more on this news related to 'Levity'
- George Lopez Helps Fight Kidney Disease
To raise awareness about National Kidney Month, George Lopez and The Lopez Foundation has teamed with the Levity Entertainment Group's Improv Comedy Clubs and Levity Live Palisades. Read more on this news related to 'Levity'
- Yellen injected levity into grim Fed meeting: transcripts
Give new Fed Chair Janet Yellen this — she certainly knows how to break the tension in a room of economists during a financial crisis. In a Fed meeting on... Read more on this news related to 'Levity'