Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Levity'
Levity Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- feeling an inappropriate lack of seriousness [ant: gravity]
- lightness of manner
- Levity \Lev"i*ty\ (l[e^]v"[i^]*t[y^]), n. [L. levitas, fr. levis
light in weight; akin to levare to raise. See Lever, n.]
- The quality of weighing less than something else of equal bulk; relative lightness, especially as shown by rising through, or floating upon, a contiguous substance; buoyancy; -- opposed to gravity. He gave the form of levity to that which ascended; to that which descended, the form of gravity. --Sir. W. Raleigh. This bubble by reason of its comparative levity to the fluidity that incloses it, would ascend to the top. --Bentley.
- Lack of gravity and earnestness in deportment or character; trifling gayety; frivolity; sportiveness; vanity. `` A spirit of levity and libertinism.'' --Atterbury. He never employed his omnipotence out of levity. --Calamy.
- Lack of steadiness or constancy; disposition to change; fickleness; volatility. The levity that is fatigued and disgusted with everything of which it is in possession. --Burke. Syn: Inconstancy; thoughtlessness; unsteadiness; inconsideration; volatility; flightiness. Usage: Levity, Volatility, Flightiness. All these words relate to outward conduct. Levity springs from a lightness of mind which produces a disregard of the proprieties of time and place.Volatility is a degree of levity which causes the thoughts to fly from one object to another, without resting on any for a moment. Flightiness is volatility carried to an extreme which often betrays its subject into gross impropriety or weakness. Levity of deportment, of conduct, of remark; volatility of temper, of spirits; flightiness of mind or disposition.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Levity'
- Levity: Levity may refer to. a sense of amusement, the opposite of gravitas Levity (film). Levity (soundtrack), the same titled soundtracked for the ...
- Levity (film): Levity is a 2003 drama movie , directed by Ed Solomon . Its theatrical release was on April 4. The score for this film was composed by ...
- Levity (soundtrack): Levity is a soundtrack produced by Mark Oliver Everett for the 2003 film of the same name . Two of the tracks were used for the film ...
- Levity Entertainment Group: Levity Entertainment Group has four distinct divisions: Levity Production & Management (artist management and comedy production), Triage ...
Words and phrases related to 'Levity'
Levity Sample Sentences in News
- DC Sports Bog: Joel Ward, Jason Chimera imitate John Walton, Mike Vogel
Hasn't been a lot of Caps levity lately. Here's some. Read more on this news related to 'Levity'
- The Fateful Year: England 1914 by Mark Bostridge – review
Moments of levity sit uneasily alongside the portentous and the poignant in Mark Bostridge's account of England in 1914 In 1914, the celebration of Christmas was considered a patriotic duty, the only concession to the war, now four months old, being the replacement of tinsel and paper chains with strings of brightly coloured allied flags. In London, the West E Read more on this news related to 'Levity'
- Royals bowl over Christchurch with cricket display
Christchurch (New Zealand) (AFP) - Cricket and high fashion may seem strange bedfellows, but Prince William's wife Kate combined both with aplomb on Monday in New Zealand when she showed off her batting skills in heels. The duchess and duke of Cambridge faced off in a light-hearted match during the British royals' visit to Christchurch, providing a moment Read more on this news related to 'Levity'