Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Legitimized'
- Legitimize \Le*git"i*mize\ (l[-e]*j[i^]t"[i^]*m[imac]z), v. t.
[imp. & p. p. Legitimized (-m[imac]zd); p. pr. & vb. n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Legitimized'
Legitimation is the act of providing legitimacy. Legitimation in the social sciences refers to the process whereby an act, process, or ideology becomes legitimate by its attachment to norms and values within in given society. It is the process of making something acceptable and normative to a group or audience.
Legitimate power is the ability to influence through authority, the right by virtue of one's organization position or status to exercise control over persons in subordinate position.
For example, the legitimation of power can be understood using Max Weber's traditional bases of power. In a bureaucracy, people gain legitimate use of power by their positions in which it is widely agreed that the specified person hold authority . There is no inherent right to wield power. For example,a president can exercise power and authority because the position is fully legitimated by society as a whole. In another example, if an individual attempts to convince others that something is "right", they can invoke generally accepted arguments that support their agenda. Advocacy groups must legitimate their courses of action based on invoking specific social norms and values. Invoking these norms and values allows the group to proceed in a rational and coherent manner with the expectation that their subsequent behavior is legitimated by the norms and values which guide their organizations.[See more about Legitimized at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Legitimized'
Legitimized Sample Sentences in News
- Krauthammer: Clueless in Gaza
The secretary of state has legitimized Hamas?s war criminality. Read more on this news related to 'Legitimized'
- Michigan Government Agencies May Discriminate on the Basis of Sex, I.E. “No Woman Should Be Making That Kind of Money”
– The 6th Circuit Court of Appeals legitimized sex discrimination against Michigan female contractors in the unpublished opinion of BBF Engineering Services, P.C. v. State of Michigan, et al. Read more on this news related to 'Legitimized'
- Contra Costa Times editorial: No endorsement in race for state Board of Equalization seat
The only qualified candidate, Fiona Ma, authored legislation purporting to be pension reform that would have actually legitimized illegal spiking of retirement pay. Read more on this news related to 'Legitimized'