Legitimate Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- make (an illegitimate child) legitimate; declare the legitimacy of (someone); "They legitimized their natural child"
- show or affirm to be just and legitimate
- make legal; "Marijuana should be legalized"
- authorized, sanctioned by, or in accordance with law; "a legitimate government"
- of marriages and offspring; recognized as lawful
- in accordance with recognized or accepted standards or principles; "legitimate advertising practices"
- in accordance with reason or logic; "a logical conclusion"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Legitimate'?
Legitimate Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The word Legitimacy means something which is good and right. Why the thing is right may be because it follows the law, a religion says it is right, or maybe it is naturally right. People may not agree about what is right, and because of this they may not agree what "Legitimacy" is and what is "Legitimate".
This page is about two different uses of the word "Legitimacy"
When a government is accepted by many people it is considered to have "Legitimacy".
In the past, some different reasons were used to make people accept a government. In the Zhou Dynasty of old China the rulers said they were given the "Mandate of Heaven" which means that the ruler was chosen by God. This has some similarity with "The Divine Right of Kings" in Europe, where old European kings would say they were chosen by God.
Words and phrases related to 'Legitimate'
'Legitimate' example sentence in quotations
* Cyberspace A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation. - William Gibson
* The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object. - Thomas Jefferson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Legitimate'
Legitimate Sample Sentences in News
- Computer users who damage national security could face jail
Human rights experts criticise proposed legislation saying new law could be used to target legitimate whistleblowers Government plans that mean computer users deemed to have damaged national security, human welfare, the economy or the environment will face a life sentence have been criticised by experts who warn that the new law could be used to target legitimate Read more on this news related to 'Legitimate'
- Can't reveal legitimate account holders in foreign banks: Jaitley
New Delhi, Oct 22 (IANS) Finance Minister Arun Jaitley Wednesday said the government cannot reveal all names in the list of those who have accounts in banks abroad as some of them have legitimate accounts and cannot be maligned. Read more on this news related to 'Legitimate'
- Nigeria says cash for arms seized in South Africa was 'legitimate'
ABUJA (Reuters) - Nigeria said on Wednesday that $15 million that had been seized by South African authorities in two separate incidents was money for 'legitimate' arms deals, and it urged its rival African power to release the funds. South Africa froze $5.7 million worth of funds that it had been alerted to as suspicious by Standard Bank, money which was Read more on this news related to 'Legitimate'