Legitimate Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- make (an illegitimate child) legitimate; declare the legitimacy of (someone); "They legitimized their natural child"
- show or affirm to be just and legitimate
- make legal; "Marijuana should be legalized"
- authorized, sanctioned by, or in accordance with law; "a legitimate government"
- of marriages and offspring; recognized as lawful
- in accordance with recognized or accepted standards or principles; "legitimate advertising practices"
- in accordance with reason or logic; "a logical conclusion"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Legitimate'?
Legitimate Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The word Legitimacy means something which is good and right. Why the thing is right may be because it follows the law, a religion says it is right, or maybe it is naturally right. People may not agree about what is right, and because of this they may not agree what "Legitimacy" is and what is "Legitimate". There are two different uses of the word "Legitimacy"
When a government is accepted by many people it is considered to have "Legitimacy". In the past, some different reasons were used to make people accept a government. In the Zhou Dynasty of old China the rulers said they were given the "Mandate of Heaven" which means that the ruler was chosen by God. This is similar to the divine right of kings doctrine in Europe, where kings would say they were chosen by God.
In the time of The Enlightenment, John Locke wrote that Legitimacy came from the agreement of the people under the government. In Western thinking, this has become the accepted meaning. Not all the people must agree, only most of the people. Most of the people must agree that the government is the best way to make laws and rule, if the government has Legitimacy.
Words and phrases related to 'Legitimate'
'Legitimate' example sentence in quotations
* Cyberspace A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation. - William Gibson
* The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object. - Thomas Jefferson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Legitimate'