Legitimate Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- make (an illegitimate child) legitimate; declare the legitimacy of (someone); "They legitimized their natural child"
- show or affirm to be just and legitimate
- make legal; "Marijuana should be legalized"
- authorized, sanctioned by, or in accordance with law; "a legitimate government"
- of marriages and offspring; recognized as lawful
- in accordance with recognized or accepted standards or principles; "legitimate advertising practices"
- in accordance with reason or logic; "a logical conclusion"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Legitimate'?
Legitimate Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The word Legitimacy means something which is good and right. Why the thing is right may be because it follows the law, a religion says it is right, or maybe it is naturally right. People may not agree about what is right, and because of this they may not agree what "Legitimacy" is and what is "Legitimate".
This page is about two different uses of the word "Legitimacy"
When a government is accepted by many people it is considered to have "Legitimacy".
In the past, some different reasons were used to make people accept a government. In the Zhou Dynasty of old China the rulers said they were given the "Mandate of Heaven" which means that the ruler was chosen by God. This has some similarity with "The Divine Right of Kings" in Europe, where old European kings would say they were chosen by God.
Words and phrases related to 'Legitimate'
'Legitimate' example sentence in quotations
* Cyberspace A consensual hallucination experienced daily by billions of legitimate operators, in every nation. - William Gibson
* The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object. - Thomas Jefferson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Legitimate'
Legitimate Sample Sentences in News
- PRESS RELEASES
A lawmaker has sought to raise the status of illegitimate child's rights to the estate of the mother on equal footing with that of legitimate child. Read more on this news related to 'Legitimate'
- US Considers Hadi Legitimate President of Yemen
US Department of State spokesperson Jen Psaki announced during a press briefing on Wednesday that President Abd Rabbu Mansour Hadi remained the legitimate leader of Yemen and the US kept in touch with him. Read more on this news related to 'Legitimate'
- Bill to equalize rights of illegitimate child with legitimate kid to the mother's estate (Congress of the Philippines)
(Source: Congress of the Philippines) Bill to equalize rights of illegitimate child with legitimate kid to the mother's estate Total views: 5 26 January 2015 08:35:39 AM Writer: Jazmin S. Camero, Media Relations Service-PRIB Send Feedback A lawmaker has sought to raise the status of illegitimate child's rights to the estate of the mother on equal footi Read more on this news related to 'Legitimate'