Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Lawful'
- conformable to or allowed by law; "lawful methods of dissent" [ant: unlawful]
- according to custom or rule or natural law [syn: orderly, rule-governed]
- having a legally established claim; "the legitimate heir"; "the true and lawful king" [syn: true(a), rightful(a)]
- authorized, sanctioned by, or in accordance with law; "a legitimate government" [syn: legitimate, licit]
- Lawful \Law"ful\, a.
- Conformable to law; allowed by law; legitimate; competent.
- Constituted or authorized by law; rightful; as, the lawful owner of lands. Lawful age, the age when the law recognizes one's right of independent action; majority; -- generally the age of twenty-one years.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Lawful'
Legal systems elaborate rights and responsibilities in a variety of ways. A general distinction can be made between civil law jurisdictions, which codify their laws, and common law systems, where judge made law is not consolidated. In some countries, religion informs the law. Law provides a rich source of scholarly inquiry, into legal history, philosophy, economic analysis or sociology. Law also raises important and complex issues concerning equality, fairness and justice. "In its majestic equality", said the author Anatole France in 1894, "the law forbids rich and poor alike to sleep under bridges, beg in the streets and steal loaves of bread." In a typical democracy, the central institutions for interpreting and creating law are the three main branches of government, namely an impartial judiciary, a democratic legislature, and an accountable executive. To implement and enforce the law and provide services to the public, a government's bureaucracy, the military and police are vital. While all these organs of the state are creatures created and bound by law, an independent legal profession and a vibrant civil society inform and support their progress.[See more about Lawful at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Lawful'
'Lawful' in famous quotation sentence
* The right of bearing arms for a lawful purpose is not a right granted by the Constitution neither is it in any manner dependent upon that instrument for its existence. - U.S. vs Cruikshan
* All ambitions are lawful except those which climb upward on the miseries or credulities of mankind. - William Congreve
Click here for more related quotations on 'Lawful'
Lawful Sample Sentences in News
- Russia says Crimea independence move 'lawful'
Moscow welcomes declaration of independence by local assembly in Ukrainian peninsula ahead of referendum. Read more on this news related to 'Lawful'
- Lawful Immigrants Defend Driver's Licenses
March 04--When law enforcement pulled over Rosa Perez near Atlanta last month for speeding, she didn't get nervous or angry. Read more on this news related to 'Lawful'
- Does The First Amendment Protect Marijuana Ads?
Last week High Times and Westword filed a federal lawsuit arguing that Colorado's restrictions on marijuana advertising violate the First Amendment. The complaint argues that advertising by state-licensed pot shops "constitutes protected commercial speech because it addresses lawful activity...and is not deceptive, false, or misleading." On Saturday Read more on this news related to 'Lawful'