Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Laver'
Laver Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- Australian tennis player who in 1962 was the second man to win the Australian and French and English and United States singles titles in the same year; in 1969 he repeated this feat (born in 1938) [syn: Rod Laver, Rodney George Laver}]
- (Old Testament) large basin used by a priest in an ancient Jewish temple to perform ritual ablutions
- edible red seaweeds [syn: red laver]
- seaweed with edible translucent crinkly green fronds [syn: sea lettuce}]
- Laver \Lav"er\ (l[=a]"v[~e]r), n. [OE. lavour, F. lavoir, L.
lavatorium a washing place. See Lavatory.]
- A vessel for washing; a large basin.
- (Script. Hist.) (a) A large brazen vessel placed in the court of the Jewish tabernacle where the officiating priests washed their hands and feet. (b) One of several vessels in Solomon's Temple in which the offerings for burnt sacrifices were washed.
- That which washes or cleanses. --J. H. Newman.
- Laver \Lav"er\, n. [From Lave to wash.]
One who laves; a washer. [Obs.]
- Laver \La"ver\ (l[=a]"v[~e]r), n.
The fronds of certain marine alg[ae] used as food, and for
making a sauce called laver sauce. Green laver is the Ulva
latissima; purple laver, Porphyra laciniata and P.
vulgaris}. It is prepared by stewing, either alone or with
other vegetables, and with various condiments; -- called also
sloke, or sloakan.
Mountain laver (Bot.), a reddish gelatinous alga of the
genus Palmella, found on the sides of mountains
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Laver'
- Laver: laver. Laver might refer to one of the following: Laver (seaweed), an edible algae often considered to be a seaweed. Laver, a basin for ...
- Rod Laver: Rodney George "Rod" Laver MBE (born 9 August 1938) is an Australian former tennis ... com/hall-of-famers/rod-laver International Tennis Hall ...
- Laver (seaweed): Laver is an edible seaweed that has a high mineral salt content, particularly ... green laver, which is regarded as inferior to the purple laver ...
- Richard Laver: Richard Laver is an American mathematician, working in set theory . He is a professor emeritus at the Department of Mathematics of the ...
- Arnold Laver: Arnold Laver Ltd is a timber merchant based in Sheffield . The company was founded by Arnold Laver in 1920. They have 12 Depots, Employ ...
- Laver (ghost town): Laver is a ghost town located about 50 km west of Älvsbyn in Sweden which existed ... External links : net/laver. html Laver - ett gruvsamhälle ...
- Rod Laver Arena: File:Rod laver arena by night. ... Rod Laver Arena is a tennis stadium that is part of the Melbourne Park complex located in Melbourne , ...
- James Laver: James Laver CBE FRSA (1899–1975) was an author , art historian , and museum ... styles/features/history/staff_obituaries/prints_drawings/laver/index. ...