Laughter Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the activity of laughing; the manifestation of joy or mirth of scorn; "he enjoyed the laughter of the crowd"
- the sound of laughing
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the sound of laughing ,
- the activity of laughing; the manifestation of joy or mirth or scorn; "he enjoyed the laughter of the crowd"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Laughter'?
Laughter Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
A laugh is a way of showing happiness. It is a noise that a person makes when he hears something funny, like a joke, or a tickle.
Sometimes people laugh when they are not happy. When people are ashamed or embarrassed, sometimes they react by laughing.
There are different ways to laugh. A person can laugh using mostly their voice, mostly their throat, or mostly their nose.
You can write a laugh in different ways. Some people write "ha ha ha", or "he he he", or "hehe". If they are on the internet, they also use "LOL". "LOL" does not sound like a laugh, but it stands for Laughing Out Loud.
Words and phrases related to 'Laughter'
'Laughter' example sentence in quotations
* Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars-all the beauties of creation. - Victor Hugo
* The tears that you spill, the sorrowful, are sweeter than the laughter of snobs and the guffaws of scoffers. - Kahlil Gibran
Click here for more related quotations on 'Laughter'
Laughter Sample Sentences in News
- Laughter puts Tony Abbott’s leadership on the line
I just watched Tony Abbott defend his decision to bestow a knighthood on Prince Philip, saying that while he accepts others might disagree with his "captain's pick" he's happy to take it on the chin. Read more on this news related to 'Laughter'
- Lawsuits, laughter used to knock down 'no go' claims
Remarks that women are unwelcome and police won't patrol European cities with large Muslim populations have caused some to react with anger and laughter. Read more on this news related to 'Laughter'
- Amy Poehler Brings Laughter and Love to Worldwide Orphans
The actress, 43, was inspired to bring laughter to Worldwide Orphans after a trip to Haiti with the organization's found, Dr. Jane Aronson Read more on this news related to 'Laughter'