Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Laughter'
- the sound of laughing [syn: laugh]
- the activity of laughing; the manifestation of joy or mirth of scorn; "he enjoyed the laughter of the crowd"
- Laughter \Laugh"ter\, n. [AS. hleahtor; akin to OHG. hlahtar, G.
gel["a]chter, Icel. hl[=a]tr, Dan. latter. See Laugh, v. i.
A movement (usually involuntary) of the muscles of the face,
particularly of the lips, with a peculiar expression of the
eyes, indicating merriment, satisfaction, or derision, and
usually attended by a sonorous and interrupted expulsion of
air from the lungs. See Laugh, v. i.
The act of laughter, which is a sweet contraction of
the muscles of the face, and a pleasant agitation of
the vocal organs, is not merely, or totally within the
jurisdiction of ourselves. --Sir T.
Archly the maiden smiled, and with eyes overrunning
with laughter. --Longfellow.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Laughter'
Laughing is a visual expression of happiness, or an inward feeling of joy. It may ensue from hearing a joke, being tickled, or other stimuli. It is in most cases a very pleasant sensation.
Laughter is found among various animals, as well as in humans. Among the human species, it is a part of human behavior regulated by the brain, helping humans clarify their intentions in social interaction and providing an emotional context to conversations. Laughter is used as a signal for being part of a group—it signals acceptance and positive interactions with others. Laughter is sometimes seen as contagious, and the laughter of one person can itself provoke laughter from others as a positive feedback. This may account in part for the popularity of laugh tracks in situation comedy television shows.[See more about Laughter at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Laughter'
'Laughter' in famous quotation sentence
* Separated lovers cheat absence by a thousand fancies which have their own reality. They are prevented from seeing one another and they cannot write nevertheless they find countless mysterious ways of corresponding, by sending each other the song of birds, the scent of flowers, the laughter of children, the light of the sun, the sighing of the wind, and the gleam of the stars-all the beauties of creation. - Victor Hugo
* The tears that you spill, the sorrowful, are sweeter than the laughter of snobs and the guffaws of scoffers. - Kahlil Gibran
Click here for more related quotations on 'Laughter'
Laughter Sample Sentences in News
- Lines of laughter
The Hindu MetroPlus Theatre Fest returns to Coimbatore with three entertaining productions for you Read more on this news related to 'Laughter'
- Chuck Laughter Joins Joule Processing as Vice President of Engineering and Operations
Joule Processing, LLC , a provider of natural gas processing and treating solutions, today announced the addition of Chuck Laughter to its executive management team. An industry veteran with 28 years of experience, Laughter will serve as Joule’s vice president of engineering and operations. Read more on this news related to 'Laughter'
- Laughter Yoga Burns Serious Calories
Laughter is the best medicine, the saying goes. And this laughter yoga class held at Hong Kong Ocean Park is capitalizing on that idea by encouraging attendants to laugh away their stress by doing silly and short exercises. The claim is actually backed by the Centers for Disease Control. Humor, they say, can boost the immune system and lower blood pressure. Read more on this news related to 'Laughter'