Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Lapping'
- the upper side of the thighs of a seated person; "he picked up the little girl and plopped her down in his lap"
- an area of control or responsibility; "the job fell right in my lap"
- the part of a piece of clothing that covers the thighs; "his lap was covered with food stains" [syn: lap covering]
- a flap that lies over another part; "the lap of the shingles should be at least ten inches" [syn: overlap]
- movement once around a course; "he drove an extra lap just for insurance" [syn: circle, circuit]
- touching with the tongue; "the dog's laps were warm and wet" [syn: lick] v
- lie partly over or alongside of something or of one another
- pass the tongue over; "the dog licked her hand" [syn: lick]
- move with or cause to move with a whistling or hissing sound; "The bubbles swoshed around in the glass"; "The curtain swooshed open" [syn: swish, swosh, swoosh]
- take up with the tongue; "The cat lapped up the milk"; "the cub licked the milk from its mother's breast" [syn: lap up, lick]
- wash or flow against; "the waves laved the shore" [syn: lave, wash] [also: lapping, lapped]
n : covering with a design in which one element covers a part of
another (as with tiles or shingles) [syn: imbrication,
- Lap \Lap\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Lapped; p. pr. & vb. n.
- To rest or recline in a lap, or as in a lap.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Lapping'
Lapping is a machining operation, in which two surfaces are rubbed together with an abrasive between them, by hand movement or by way of a machine.
This can take two forms. The first type of lapping (traditionally called grinding), typically involves rubbing a brittle material such as glass against a surface such as iron or glass itself (also known as the "lap" or grinding tool) with an abrasive such as aluminum oxide, jeweller's rouge, optician's rouge, emery, silicon carbide, diamond, etc., in between them. This produces microscopic conchoidal fractures as the abrasive rolls about between the two surfaces and removes material from both.
The other form of lapping involves a softer material such as pitch or a ceramic for the lap, which is "charged" with the abrasive. The lap is then used to cut a harder material—the workpiece. The abrasive embeds within the softer material which holds it and permits it to score across and cut the harder material. Taken to the finer limit, this will produce a polished surface such as with a polishing cloth on an automobile, or a polishing cloth or polishing pitch upon glass or steel.[See more about Lapping at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Lapping'
'Lapping' in famous quotation sentence
Click here for more related quotations on 'Lapping'
Lapping Sample Sentences in News
- SPIED + VIDEO! BMW's Upcoming M2 SEEN and HEARD Lapping The Nürburgring — ANY Suggestions To Make It BETTER Than The 1M?
For me it's hard to think of a better BMW than the 1M. The car was brilliant, end-to-end. I will say that the all-new M3 and M4 with a standard transmission is a hair better; however, if you make the mistake of outfitting either with a dual-clutch box you're missing out in a big way. Read more on this news related to 'Lapping'
- Hamilton lapping it up
LEWIS HAMILTON and Nico Rosberg have set the stage perfectly for a tense opening skirmish at the Italian Grand Prix by qualifying their Mercedes cars alongside each other on the front row of the grid. Read more on this news related to 'Lapping'
- Wildfire burns 5 acres west of Longview
When Bill Hawn saw flames lapping at his neighbor’s backyard, he jumped in his bulldozer and helped tame the fire himself. Read more on this news related to 'Lapping'