Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Kneading'
- Knead \Knead\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Kneaded; p. pr. & vb. n.
Kneading.] [OE. kneden, As. cnedan; akin to D. kneden, G.
kneten, Sw. kn?da, Icel. kno?a; cf. OSlav. gnesti.]
- To work and press into a mass, usually with the hands; esp., to work, as by repeated pressure with the knuckles, into a well mixed mass, as the materials of bread, cake, etc.; as, to knead dough. The kneading, the making of the cake, the heating of the oven, and the baking. --Shak.
- Fig.: To treat or form as by kneading; to beat. I will knead him : I'll make him supple. --Shak. Kneading trough, a trough or tray in which dough is kneaded. --Ex. viii. 3.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Kneading'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Kneading'
Kneading is a process in the making of bread or pasta dough, used to mix together the ingredients and add strength to the final product. Its importance lies in the mixing of flour with water. When these two ingredients are combined and kneaded, the gliadin and glutenin proteins in the flour expand and form strands of gluten, which gives bread its texture. (To aid gluten production, many recipes use bread flour, which is higher in protein than all-purpose flour.) The kneading process warms and stretches these gluten strands, eventually creating a springy and elastic dough. If bread dough is not kneaded enough, it will not be able to hold the tiny pockets of gas (CO2) created by the leavening agent (such as yeast or baking powder), and will collapse, leaving a heavy and dense loaf.
Kneading can be performed with a breadmaker, a mixer equipped with a dough hook, or by hand. The dough is put on a floured surface, pressed and stretched with the heel of the hand, folded over, and rotated through 90º repeatedly. This process continues until the dough is elastic and smooth. The dough can then be allowed to rise or "proof" (also called "proving").[See more about Kneading at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Kneading'
Kneading Sample Sentences in News
- Pastamania, The Forerunner In Pizza And Pasta Making Class
Bandar Seri Begawan: Pastamania Brunei conducted a very successful Pasta Making Class in Freshco Function Hall last month. Children were taught how to make their own pasta from ingredient selection, cutting their own ingredients, proper hygiene to proper techniques on pasta kneading. Read more on this news related to 'Kneading'
- How Therapeutic Is Massage?
Massage is an ancient art that dates back to the dawn of civilization. The name is derived from the Greek word meaning "to work with the hands, as in kneading dough." And in 400 B.C., Hippocrates wrote that the physician must be experienced in many things, especially in rubbing. Read more on this news related to 'Kneading'
- Miller's tale fails to grind down David Cameron at despatch box
Ed Miliband avoids sifting through expenses controversy for a bit of mild PM kneading following culture secretary's resignation The sound of ranks closing had begun even before David Cameron entered the chamber to loud cheers from his party. When the new culture secretary, Sajid Javid, had taken his place in the Commons minutes earlier, ministers and backbench Read more on this news related to 'Kneading'