Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Kneading'
- Knead \Knead\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Kneaded; p. pr. & vb. n.
Kneading.] [OE. kneden, As. cnedan; akin to D. kneden, G.
kneten, Sw. kn?da, Icel. kno?a; cf. OSlav. gnesti.]
- To work and press into a mass, usually with the hands; esp., to work, as by repeated pressure with the knuckles, into a well mixed mass, as the materials of bread, cake, etc.; as, to knead dough. The kneading, the making of the cake, the heating of the oven, and the baking. --Shak.
- Fig.: To treat or form as by kneading; to beat. I will knead him : I'll make him supple. --Shak. Kneading trough, a trough or tray in which dough is kneaded. --Ex. viii. 3.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Kneading'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Kneading'
Kneading is a process in the making of bread or pasta dough, used to mix together the ingredients and add strength to the final product. Its importance lies in the mixing of flour with water. When these two ingredients are combined and kneaded, the gliadin and glutenin proteins in the flour expand and form strands of gluten, which gives bread its texture. (To aid gluten production, many recipes use bread flour, which is higher in protein than all-purpose flour.) The kneading process warms and stretches these gluten strands, eventually creating a springy and elastic dough. If bread dough is not kneaded enough, it will not be able to hold the tiny pockets of gas (CO2) created by the leavening agent (such as yeast or baking powder), and will collapse, leaving a heavy and dense loaf.
Kneading can be performed with a breadmaker, a mixer equipped with a dough hook, or by hand. The dough is put on a floured surface, pressed and stretched with the heel of the hand, folded over, and rotated through 90º repeatedly. This process continues until the dough is elastic and smooth. The dough can then be allowed to rise or "proof" (also called "proving").[See more about Kneading at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Kneading'
Kneading Sample Sentences in News
- Paul Hollywood: Kneading dough has ruined my hands
The Great British Bake Off judge (pictured) said that decades spent kneading dough has left him with severe nerve damage in his wrists which would lead to a complete loss of sensation in his hands if untreated. Read more on this news related to 'Kneading'
- HoMedics Shiatsu Vibration Massage Pillow
There are few things more relaxing than a deep kneading shiatsu massage. read more Read more on this news related to 'Kneading'
- Maison Mathis: A Bit Of Belgium Arrives In Elm City
Cafe, Bakery Serves Up Everything From Bread To Beer Every day at 4 a.m., a team of bakers enters New Haven's Maison Mathis and gets to work mixing, kneading and proofing. By the time the Belgian bakery and café opens its doors at 8, the cases are stocked with macarons, croissants, éclairs and other rich-looking pastries and confections. Read more on this news related to 'Kneading'