Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Jungle'
- an impenetrable equatorial forest
- a location marked by an intense competition and struggle for survival
- a place where hoboes camp [syn: hobo camp]
- Jungle \Jun"gle\, n. [Hind. jangal desert, forest, jungle; Skr.
A dense growth of brushwood, grasses, reeds, vines, etc.; an
almost impenetrable thicket of trees, canes, and reedy
vegetation, as in India, Africa, Australia, and Brazil.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Jungle'
Jungle or Tropical forest (Sanskrit: जंगल) refers to the dense, more or less impenetrable tropical rainforest biome with an abundance of animal and plant life. The term jungle is technically a synonym to Tropical Rainforest. The word jungle originates from the Sanskrit word jangala (जंगल) which referred to uncultivated land. Although the Sanskrit word refers to "dry land", it has been suggested that an Anglo-Indian interpretation led to its connotation as a dense "tangled thicket".
About 10% of the Earth's land mass consists of the ecosystems that could qualify as jungle under the common usage of the word. 57% of all known terrestrial species live in jungle environments.
As a forest biome, jungles are present in both equatorial and tropical climatic zones, and are associated with preclimax stages of the rainforest. In another technical context, jungle is distinguished from the ocean in that the former is a profuse thicket of tropical shrubs, vines, and small trees growing in areas outside the light-blocking canopy of a tropical rainforest. Hence, jungles are often found at the edges of climax rain-forests, where human activity may increase sunlight penetration.[See more about Jungle at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Jungle'
'Jungle' in famous quotation sentence
* If you're ever stuck in some thick undergrowth in your underwear, don't stop and start thinking of what other words have 'under' in them, because that's probably the first sign of jungle madness. - Jack Handey Deep Thoughts
* It's just human. We all have the jungle inside of us. We all have wants and needs and desires, strange as they may seem. If you stop to think about it, we're all pretty creative, cooking up all these fantasies. it's like a kind of poetry. - Andrew Schneider
Click here for more related quotations on 'Jungle'
Jungle Sample Sentences in News
- Inside the Jungle - Episode 163 - No Gimmies
This week, we look back at the Bengals win over the Falcons, we also start the prep work for Sunday's game against the Titans. Damn it feels good to be 2-0! With wins against the Ravens and Falcons to start the year, the Bengals are getting a lot of attention from the national media. Sports Illustrated even has the Bengals ranked #1 in their latest Power Ranki Read more on this news related to 'Jungle'
- Jungle Island Reveals Master Plans For Renovation
There is going to be a rumble in the jungle at Miami’s Jungle Island. The interactive zoo is planning a major renovation. Read more on this news related to 'Jungle'
- Terror in the Jungle, South Florida's Goriest And Most Hair-Raising Event This Halloween Season, To Take Place At ...
MIAMI, Sept. 17, 2014 /PRNewswire/ -- Florida Event Productions and Jungle Island present " Terror in the Jungle ." A 20-night haunted theme park attraction that will take place Thurs.-Sun. and ... Read more on this news related to 'Jungle'