Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Jeopardize'
- pose a threat to; present a danger to; "The pollution is endangering the crops" [syn: endanger, jeopardise, menace, threaten, imperil, peril]
- put at risk; "I will stake my good reputation for this" [syn: venture, hazard, adventure, stake]
- Jeopardize \Jeop"ard*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Jeopardized; p.
pr. & vb. n. Jeopardizing.]
To expose to loss or injury; to risk; to jeopard.
That he should jeopardize his willful head Only for
spite at me. --H. Taylor.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Jeopardize'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Jeopardize'
In US law, endangerment comprises several types of crimes involving conduct that is wrongful and reckless or wanton, and likely to produce death or grievous bodily harm to another person.
The offense is intended to prohibit and therefore deter reckless or wanton conduct that wrongfully creates a substantial risk of death or serious injury to others.
The law specifies several types of endangerment:
Endangerment can range from a misdemeanor to a felony.[See more about Jeopardize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Jeopardize'
Jeopardize Sample Sentences in News
- Malnutrition could jeopardize development in Zimbabwe, U.N. says
HARARE, Zimbabwe, Feb. 21 (UPI) -- The head of the United Nations World Food Program warns malnutrition could jeopardize development in Zimbabwe, where 2 million people are food insecure. Read more on this news related to 'Jeopardize'
- Early California Wildfires Jeopardize Homes and Vineyards
Extremely dry conditions have sparked 487 wildfires so far in 2014, compared with only 2 for the same period a year ago, according to the state Forestry and Fire Protection Department, known as Cal Fire. Potential power failures, home losses, lost tourism dollars and crop damage could jeopardize the world's 10th largest economy as California struggles to emerg Read more on this news related to 'Jeopardize'
- UN: Sectarian violence threatens Myanmar reforms
YANGON, Myanmar (AP) — The U.N. special investigator on human rights in Myanmar warned Wednesday that sectarian violence could jeopardize the country's democratic reforms if it is not addressed urgently. Read more on this news related to 'Jeopardize'