Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Jeopardize'
- pose a threat to; present a danger to; "The pollution is endangering the crops" [syn: endanger, jeopardise, menace, threaten, imperil, peril]
- put at risk; "I will stake my good reputation for this" [syn: venture, hazard, adventure, stake]
- Jeopardize \Jeop"ard*ize\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Jeopardized; p.
pr. & vb. n. Jeopardizing.]
To expose to loss or injury; to risk; to jeopard.
That he should jeopardize his willful head Only for
spite at me. --H. Taylor.
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Jeopardize'?
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Jeopardize'
In US law, endangerment comprises several types of crimes involving conduct that is wrongful and reckless or wanton, and likely to produce death or grievous bodily harm to another person.
The offense is intended to prohibit and therefore deter reckless or wanton conduct that wrongfully creates a substantial risk of death or serious injury to others.
The law specifies several types of endangerment:
Endangerment can range from a misdemeanor to a felony.[See more about Jeopardize at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Jeopardize'
Jeopardize Sample Sentences in News
- Iran sanctions blacklist: US additions prompt sharp pushback
The US blacklisted 19 companies and firms linked to Iran's nuclear program. Iran said the move could jeopardize the interim nuclear deal agreed to in Geneva. Read more on this news related to 'Jeopardize'
- Proposal to Amend the National Building Code Could Jeopardize Canadians' Health & Safety
OTTAWA, Dec. 12, 2013 /CNW/ - Today in Ottawa, the Cement Association of Canada (CAC) held a press conference to demand that the changes proposed for the next edition of the National Building Code of Canada (NBCC) be significantly improved to provide better safety for all Canadians. Over the past two months and until December 23, the Canadian Commission on Buildin Read more on this news related to 'Jeopardize'
- Federal Regulation Could Re-Define The Word "Organ," Jeopardize Bone Marrow Donations
Three of Doreen Flynn’s children were born with a rare, debilitating blood disease. Desperate to save her children’s lives, she challenged a decades-old, outdated ban on compensating bone marrow donors. She won in federal court. Read more on this news related to 'Jeopardize'