Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Irresponsible'
adj : showing lack of care for consequences; "behaved like an
irresponsible idiot"; "hasty and irresponsible action"
- Irresponsible \Ir`re*spon"si*ble\, a. [Pref. ir- not +
responsible: cf. F. irresponsable.]
- Nor responsible; not liable or able to answer fro consequences; innocent.
- Not to be trusted; unreliable.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Irresponsible'
Moral responsibility can refer to two different but related things:
People who have moral responsibility for an action are usually called moral agents. Agents are creatures that are capable of reflecting on their situation, forming intentions about how they will act, and then carrying out that action.
Moral responsibility can be related to but different from causal or legal responsibility. People are considered causally responsible for events brought about by their actions, or perhaps "naturally, directly or predominantly" consequent. Often when people have moral responsibility for a situation, they have causal responsibility for that situation as well. To see that a person can have moral responsibility without causal responsibility, one can consider that there was nothing in John's failure to keep his promise that necessarily caused his neighbour to fail to make her job interview: the neighbour's own decision may be considered to have broken the chain of causation. (She might have taken her child with her, or found some other babysitter, for example.) Nevertheless, he may still be held morally responsible for his neighbour's failing to attend the interview. Conversely, a person may directly cause an event without any moral responsibility for it, for example if his actions caused the result only due to circumstances which he could not have forseen. A person is legally responsible for an event when it is that person who is liable to be penalised in the court system for an event. Although it may often be the case that when a person is morally responsible for some act, they are also legally responsible for it, there are clearly exceptions to this rule. Rules of law and rules of morality do not always coincide.[See more about Irresponsible at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Irresponsible'
'Irresponsible' in famous quotation sentence
* Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action. - George Washington
* The problem of power is how to achieve its responsible use rather than its irresponsible and indulgent use - of how to get men of power to live for the public rather than off the public. - Robert F. Kennedy
Click here for more related quotations on 'Irresponsible'
Irresponsible Sample Sentences in News
- ‘Irresponsible’ to steal water from fire hydrants – Bomba chief
SIBU: Forty compounds were issued in the state last year for abuse of fire hydrants. State Bomba director […] Read more on this news related to 'Irresponsible'
- Spy leaks 'criminally irresponsible'
Ex-CIA contractor Edward Snowden risked the lives of secret agents by leaking documents containing their names, Conservative MP Liam Fox says. Read more on this news related to 'Irresponsible'
- US sending nonlethal aid to Ukraine military
The U.S. will send medical supplies, helmets and other nonlethal aid to the Ukrainian military in response to Russia's "dangerously irresponsible" efforts to destabilize the country, Defense ... Read more on this news related to 'Irresponsible'