Iroquois Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a family of North American Indian languages spoken by the Iroquois peoples
- any member of the warlike North American Indian peoples formerly living in New York state; the Iroquois League were allies of the British during the American Revolution
Definitions from Wiktionary
- any member of the warlike North American Indian peoples formerly living in New York state; the Iroquois League were allies of the British during the American Revolution ,
- a family of North American Indian languages spoken by the Iroquois
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Iroquois'?
Iroquois Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The Iroquois (pronounced /ˈɪrəkwɔɪ/), also known as the Haudenosaunee or the "People of the Longhouse", near Syracuse, New York.
When Europeans first arrived in North America, the Iroquois lived in what is now the northeastern United States, mostly in what is today upstate New York, west of the Hudson River and through the Finger Lakes region. Today, the Iroquois live mostly in New York and Canada.
The Iroquois League has also been called the Iroquois Confederacy. Some modern scholars now think the League and the Confederacy are different.
'Iroquois' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Iroquois'
Iroquois Sample Sentences in News
- Iroquois Board Discusses Rally
The Iroquois School Board discussed the district's early-morning, informational rally at its most recent meeting on March 18, which was the same day as the rally. Read more on this news related to 'Iroquois'
- Iroquois officials praise collaboration efforts
Iroquois school officials are optimistic that recent efforts to put pressure on elected representatives in Albany will pay off when details on the state budget are announced in April. Read more on this news related to 'Iroquois'
- Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge now accepting applications for Spring turkey hunting
Press release: Iroquois National Wildlife Refuge in Genesee and Orleans counties is accepting applications for Spring turkey hunting. The refuge uses a random drawing to fill the 75 turkey hunting permits available. Hunters may apply for a permit for one of two season sessions. Session 1 runs from May 1 through May 15 and 50 permits will be issued for this session Read more on this news related to 'Iroquois'