Iroquois Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a family of North American Indian languages spoken by the Iroquois peoples
- any member of the warlike North American Indian peoples formerly living in New York state; the Iroquois League were allies of the British during the American Revolution
Definitions from Wiktionary
- any member of the warlike North American Indian peoples formerly living in New York state; the Iroquois League were allies of the British during the American Revolution ,
- a family of North American Indian languages spoken by the Iroquois
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Iroquois'?
Iroquois Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The Iroquois (pronounced /ˈɪrəkwɔɪ/), also known as the Haudenosaunee or the "People of the Longhouse", near Syracuse, New York.
When Europeans first arrived in North America, the Iroquois lived in what is now the northeastern United States, mostly in what is today upstate New York, west of the Hudson River and through the Finger Lakes region. Today, the Iroquois live mostly in New York and Canada.
The Iroquois League has also been called the Iroquois Confederacy. Some modern scholars now think the League and the Confederacy are different.
'Iroquois' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Iroquois'
Iroquois Sample Sentences in News
- New Iroquois SRO Discusses Goals
The first few weeks of school at Iroquois Central have been busy for Joseph DePlato. As the new, full-time school resource officer, he is responsible for maintaining security in the district, counseli Read more on this news related to 'Iroquois'
- Hashtag Bourbon trendy pick in Grade 3 Iroquois
Bourbon Lane Stable's Hashtag Bourbon will try to add a second straight stakes win and more luster to the strong start by his freshman sire Super Saver in the $100,000 Iroquois Stakes Sept. 6 at Churchill Downs. Read more on this news related to 'Iroquois'
- Iroquois County Board Wants Medical Marijuana Cultivation Center
IROQUOIS COUNTY--In one Central Illinois county, board members want to bring a medical marijuana cultivation center to the area. Read more on this news related to 'Iroquois'