Iroquois Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- a family of North American Indian languages spoken by the Iroquois peoples
- any member of the warlike North American Indian peoples formerly living in New York state; the Iroquois League were allies of the British during the American Revolution
Definitions from Wiktionary
- any member of the warlike North American Indian peoples formerly living in New York state; the Iroquois League were allies of the British during the American Revolution ,
- a family of North American Indian languages spoken by the Iroquois
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Iroquois'?
Iroquois Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
The Iroquois (pronounced /ˈɪrəkwɔɪ/), also known as the Haudenosaunee or the "People of the Longhouse", near Syracuse, New York.
When Europeans first arrived in North America, the Iroquois lived in what is now the northeastern United States, mostly in what is today upstate New York, west of the Hudson River and through the Finger Lakes region. Today, the Iroquois live mostly in New York and Canada.
The Iroquois League has also been called the Iroquois Confederacy. Some modern scholars now think the League and the Confederacy are different.
'Iroquois' example sentence in quotations
Click here for more related quotations on 'Iroquois'
Iroquois Sample Sentences in News
- Iroquois Falls latest casualty of changing northern Ontario economy
They talk about the time that Abitibi was the largest pulp and paper company in the world. Iroquois Falls - population 4,500 - was where it all began. Read more on this news related to 'Iroquois'
- Hoopeston man arrested after chase
WELLINGTON — A Hoopeston man was arrested for driving under the influence and aggravated use of a weapon after leading Vermilion County authorities on a chase into Iroquois County on Wednesday. read more Read more on this news related to 'Iroquois'
- Iroquois School Board Considers Veterans Property Exemption
The Iroquois School Board received a presentation from Nancy DiLonardo, deputy director of Real Property Tax Services for Erie County, on the veterans property tax exemption at their Jan. 14 meeting. Read more on this news related to 'Iroquois'