Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Ironically'
- contrary to plan or expectation; "ironically, he ended up losing money under his own plan"
- in an ironic manner; "she began to mimic him ironically"
- Ironical \I*ron"ic*al\, a. [LL. ironicus, Gr. ? dissembling: cf.
F. ironique. See Irony.]
- Pertaining to irony; containing, expressing, or characterized by, irony; as, an ironical remark.
- Addicted to the use of irony; given to irony. -- I*ron"ic*al*ly, adv. -- I*ron"ic*al*ness, n.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Ironically'
Irony (from the Ancient Greek εἰρωνεία eirōneía, meaning dissimulation or feigned ignorance) is a rhetorical device, literary technique, or situation in which there is an incongruity or discordance that goes beyond the simple and evident meaning of words or actions.
Verbal and situational irony are often used for emphasis in the assertion of a truth. The ironic form of simile, used in sarcasm, and some forms of litotes emphasize one's meaning by the deliberate use of language which states the opposite of the truth — or drastically and obviously understates a factual connection.
In fictional dramatic irony, the author causes a character (acting as the author's mouthpiece) to speak or act in a way contrary to the truth. This technique highlights the literal facts by portraying a fictional person who is strikingly ignorant of them.[See more about Ironically at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Ironically'
Ironically Sample Sentences in News
- Malay kids in Chinese schools
Wong Chin Huat Ironically, the empirical success of Chinese-medium schools in attracting non-Chinese kids (presumably non-native speakers), who now make up 13% of their student enrolment nationwide, is their discursive Achilles’ heel – what mother tongue are we talking about here? Having more Malay kids, especially in Chinese-medium schools, is in fact a very Read more on this news related to 'Ironically'
- Man Un-Ironically Calls Cops to Report Chicken Crossing the Road in Portland, Oregon
Police "were unable to determine the chicken's intent." Read more on this news related to 'Ironically'
- 49-79 - Rangers drop another, fall 30 games under .500
For the first time since the 1985 season (ironically the last time the Royals made the playoffs), the Rangers are 30 games under .500 Read more on this news related to 'Ironically'