Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Invention'
- the creation of something in the mind [syn: innovation, excogitation, conception, design]
- a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation [syn: innovation]
- the act of inventing
- Invention \In*ven"tion\, n. [L. inventio: cf. F. invention. See
- The act of finding out or inventing; contrivance or construction of that which has not before existed; as, the invention of logarithms; the invention of the art of printing.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Invention'
An invention is a new composition, device, or process. An invention may be derived from a pre-existing model or idea, or it could be independently conceived in which case it may be a radical breakthrough. In addition, there is cultural invention, which is an innovative set of useful social behaviors adopted by people and passed on to others. Inventions often extend the boundaries of human knowledge or experience. An invention that is novel and not obvious to others skilled in the same field may be able to obtain the legal protection of a patent.
Invention is a creative process. An open and curious mind enables one to see beyond what is known. Seeing a new possibility, a new connection or relationship can spark an invention. Inventive thinking frequently involves combining concepts or elements from different realms that would not normally be put together. Sometimes inventors skip over the boundaries between distinctly separate territories or fields. Ways of thinking, materials, processes or tools from one realm are used as no one else has imagined in a different realm.[See more about Invention at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Invention'
'Invention' in famous quotation sentence
* Human subtelty will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple or more direct than does Nature, because in her inventions, nothing is lacking and nothing is superfluous. - Leonardo DaVinci
* Marty This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry. - This Is Spinal Tap
Click here for more related quotations on 'Invention'
Invention Sample Sentences in News
- Software Patents Are Crumbling, Thanks to the Supreme Court
A court has ruled that managing a Bingo game using a computer isn't a patentable invention. Marlon E Don't miss stories. Follow Vox! Read more on this news related to 'Invention'
- Horizon Media Appoints Industry's First-Ever Chief Invention Officer and Team of Inventioneers
Horizon Media, the largest and fastest growing privately-held media services agency in the world, today announced that it has created a new Chief Invention Officer position to further enhance, institutionalize ... Read more on this news related to 'Invention'
- 'The Invention of Exile' is a poignant tale of an immigrant's loss and longing
Vanessa Manko’s wistful, perceptive debut novel tells the story of a Russian engineer who yearns for his family during a stateless exile in Mexico City. Read more on this news related to 'Invention'