Invention Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the act of inventing
- a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation
- the creation of something in the mind
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the creation of something in the mind ,
- a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation ,
- the act of inventing
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Invention'?
Invention Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
An invention is a new thing that someone has made. The computer was an invention when it was first made. We say when it was "invented". New things that are made or created are called inventions. Cars and plastics are inventions that everyone knows. Inventions are made by inventors. Many inventions are patented.
Ideas are also called inventions. Writers can invent characters, and then invent a story about them.
Over time, humans have invented objects which make life easier for themselves. Because of this, a quote "necessity is the mother of invention", was written. The quote means that a lack of something should inspire someone to create something to fill that empty space. However, not all people believe that this is true. They think that too much of something can lead to an invention. Many inventions are just a variation of something that already exists.
Words and phrases related to 'Invention'
'Invention' example sentence in quotations
* Human subtelty will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple or more direct than does Nature, because in her inventions, nothing is lacking and nothing is superfluous. - Leonardo DaVinci
* Marty This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry. - This Is Spinal Tap
Click here for more related quotations on 'Invention'
Invention Sample Sentences in News
- Gecko Tech: Sticky Invention Lets People Scale Walls
But one problem that both real geckos and synthetic materials face is that they cannot support as much weight as one would predict from the total area of adhesive surface they possess. For instance, a machine known as Stickybot, created by researchers at Stanford University, had enough geckolike adhesive to support an 11-pound (5 kilograms) load, but in practice, Read more on this news related to 'Invention'
- Greatest moments of past 80 years
A global poll for the British Council of the greatest moments, discoveries and people of the past eight decades throws up cultural surprises - the invention of the instant noodle - and a clear winner.It's undeniably a list that... Read more on this news related to 'Invention'
- 80 landmarks in 80 years: the people and events that shaped our world
A global poll commissioned by the British Council of the greatest moments, discoveries and people of the past eight decades throws up some cultural surprises – the invention of the instant noodle – and a clear winner • See a gallery of the top 20 moments here Agree or disagree, scratching your head at a few of the names or delighted to see some unsung heroes Read more on this news related to 'Invention'