Invention Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the act of inventing
- a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation
- the creation of something in the mind
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the creation of something in the mind ,
- a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation ,
- the act of inventing
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Invention'?
Invention Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
An invention is a new thing that someone has made. The computer was an invention when it was first made. We say when it was "invented". New things that are made or created are called inventions. Cars and plastics are inventions that everyone knows. Inventions are made by inventors. Many inventions are patented.
Ideas are also called inventions. Writers can invent characters, and then invent a story about them.
Over time, humans have invented objects which make life easier for themselves. Because of this, a quote "necessity is the mother of invention", was written. The quote means that a lack of something should inspire someone to create something to fill that empty space. However, not all people believe that this is true. They think that too much of something can lead to an invention. Many inventions are just a variation of something that already exists.
Words and phrases related to 'Invention'
'Invention' example sentence in quotations
* Human subtelty will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple or more direct than does Nature, because in her inventions, nothing is lacking and nothing is superfluous. - Leonardo DaVinci
* Marty This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry. - This Is Spinal Tap
Click here for more related quotations on 'Invention'
Invention Sample Sentences in News
- Innovation vs. Invention: Make the Leap and Reap the Rewards
People often use the words “invention” and “innovation” interchangeably. This is not only incorrect, but misses a few key subtleties in meaning that can change a conversation. Invention is about creating something new, while innovation introduces the concept of “use” of an idea or method. While this difference is subtle, and these words are listed in [ Read more on this news related to 'Invention'
- Laser's co-inventor, Nobel laureate Charles Townes, dead at 99
Charles Townes, who shared the 1964 Nobel Prize in Physics for invention of the laser, a feat that revolutionized science, medicine, telecommunications and entertainment, has died at age 99, the University of California at Berkeley reported. A professor emeritus at Berkeley, he was a member of the university's physics department and Space Sciences Laboratory f Read more on this news related to 'Invention'
- Fil-Canadian teen inspires with Flashlight invention
Two years after winning the top prize at the Google Science Fair for her “Hollow Flashlight,” Filipino-Canadian Andini “Ann” Makosinski The post Fil-Canadian teen inspires with Flashlight invention appeared first on Good News Pilipinas . Related posts: Fil-Am wins 1st Global Denim Awards in Amsterdam Fil-Am teen makes top 5 of prestigious US Spelling Bee P Read more on this news related to 'Invention'