Invention Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- the act of inventing
- a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation
- the creation of something in the mind
Definitions from Wiktionary
- the creation of something in the mind ,
- a creation (a new device or process) resulting from study and experimentation ,
- the act of inventing
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Invention'?
Invention Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
An invention is a new thing that someone has made. The computer was an invention when it was first made. We say when it was "invented". New things that are made or created are called inventions. Cars and plastics are inventions that everyone knows. Inventions are made by inventors. Many inventions are patented.
Ideas are also called inventions. Writers can invent characters, and then invent a story about them.
Over time, humans have invented objects which make life easier for themselves. Because of this, a quote "necessity is the mother of invention", was written. The quote means that a lack of something should inspire someone to create something to fill that empty space. However, not all people believe that this is true. They think that too much of something can lead to an invention. Many inventions are just a variation of something that already exists.
Words and phrases related to 'Invention'
'Invention' example sentence in quotations
* Human subtelty will never devise an invention more beautiful, more simple or more direct than does Nature, because in her inventions, nothing is lacking and nothing is superfluous. - Leonardo DaVinci
* Marty This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry. - This Is Spinal Tap
Click here for more related quotations on 'Invention'
Invention Sample Sentences in News
- IBM Patents Invention to Simplify Cloud Deployments
IBM Corp. (IBM) recently patented an invention that enhances the use of analytics for assessing and directing data in a cloud computing environment, thereby enabling more timely and efficient application ... Read more on this news related to 'Invention'
- Defending the Free Linux World
The Open Invention Network, or OIN, is waging a global campaign to keep Linux out of harm's way in patent litigation. Its efforts have resulted in more than 1,000 companies joining forces to become the largest defense patent management organization in history. The Open Invention Network was created in 2005 as a white hat organization to protect Linux from lice Read more on this news related to 'Invention'
- Actor Janet Suzman criticised for calling theatre ‘a white invention’
Theatre is a white invention. It’s in their DNA, Suzman says after Meera Syal appeals for theatres to look more to Asian audiences One of Britain’s most distinguished actors sparked controversy on Monday by claiming that “theatre is a white invention” and it is in the DNA of white people, but not of other people. Dame Janet Suzman was responding to the vie Read more on this news related to 'Invention'