Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Interested'
- having or showing interest; especially curiosity or fascination or concern; "an interested audience"; "interested in sports"; "was interested to hear about her family"; "interested in knowing who was on the telephone"; "interested spectators" [ant: uninterested]
- involved in or affected by or having a claim to or share in; "a memorandum to those concerned"; "an enterprise in which three men are concerned"; "factors concerned in the rise and fall of epidemics"; "the interested parties met to discuss the business" [syn: concerned]
- Interested \In"ter*est*ed\, a. [See Interest, v. t.]
- Having the attention engaged; having emotion or passion excited; as, an interested listener.
- Having an interest; concerned in a cause or in consequences; liable to be affected or prejudiced; as, an interested witness.
- Interest \In"ter*est\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Interested; p. pr.
& vb. n. Interesting.] [From interess'd, p. p. of the older
form interess, fr. F. int['e]resser, L. interesse. See
- To engage the attention of; to awaken interest in; to excite emotion or passion in, in behalf of a person or thing; as, the subject did not interest him; to interest one in charitable work. To love our native country . . . to be interested in its concerns is natural to all men. --Dryden. A goddess who used to interest herself in marriages. --Addison.
- To be concerned with or engaged in; to affect; to concern; to excite; -- often used impersonally. [Obs.] Or rather, gracious sir, Create me to this glory, since my cause Doth interest this fair quarrel. --Ford.
- To cause or permit to share. [Obs.] The mystical communion of all faithful men is such as maketh every one to be interested in those precious blessings which any one of them receiveth at God's hands. --Hooker. Syn: To concern; excite; attract; entertain; engage; occupy; hold.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Interested'
Attention is the cognitive process of selectively concentrating on one aspect of the environment while ignoring other things. Attention has also been referred to as the allocation of processing resources.
Examples include listening carefully to what someone is saying while ignoring other conversations in a room (the cocktail party effect) or listening to a cell phone conversation while driving a car. Attention is one of the most intensely studied topics within psychology and cognitive neuroscience.
William James, in his textbook Principles of Psychology, remarked:
Attention remains a major area of investigation within education, psychology and neuroscience. Areas of active investigation involve determining the source of the signals that generate attention, the effects of these signals on the tuning properties of sensory neurons, and the relationship between attention and other cognitive processes like working memory and vigilance. A relatively new body of research is investigating the phenomenon of traumatic brain injuries and their effects on attention.[See more about Interested at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Interested'
'Interested' in famous quotation sentence
* One's religion is whatever one is most interested in. - James Barrie
* You must learn day by day, year by year to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about, the more you have left when anything happens. - Ethel Barrymore
Click here for more related quotations on 'Interested'
Interested Sample Sentences in News
- United Striker Set to Snub Arsenal and Chelsea with Spain Switch
Barcelona are reportedly interested in signing Manchester United striker Robin Van Persie, according to Italian reports. This is definitely Barcelona's last chance to sign him – the striker was targeted by the Catalans in the summer of 2012 but he decided to leave Arsenal and join United in a £24m deal instead. However Barca still want to bring the Dutchman Read more on this news related to 'Interested'
- Will Cosmos Work?
If you’re interested in science and own a TV, you will probably be watching the reboot of Cosmos this Sunday. You also probably know that the show will be updated with new science since Carl Sagan’s original series, that it features astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson, and that its premiere will be “the biggest roll-out in television history," if you bel Read more on this news related to 'Interested'
- NFL teams reportedly interested in acquiring Bucs cornerback Darrelle Revis
Revis Island is firmly planted in Tampa Bay. Nevertheless, some NFL teams are interested in acquiring Buccaneers cornerback Darrelle Revis. According to CBS Sports reporter Jason La Canfora, several teams have reached out to Tampa Bay about a possible trade … Continue reading → Read more on this news related to 'Interested'