Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Interested'
- having or showing interest; especially curiosity or fascination or concern; "an interested audience"; "interested in sports"; "was interested to hear about her family"; "interested in knowing who was on the telephone"; "interested spectators" [ant: uninterested]
- involved in or affected by or having a claim to or share in; "a memorandum to those concerned"; "an enterprise in which three men are concerned"; "factors concerned in the rise and fall of epidemics"; "the interested parties met to discuss the business" [syn: concerned]
- Interested \In"ter*est*ed\, a. [See Interest, v. t.]
- Having the attention engaged; having emotion or passion excited; as, an interested listener.
- Having an interest; concerned in a cause or in consequences; liable to be affected or prejudiced; as, an interested witness.
- Interest \In"ter*est\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Interested; p. pr.
& vb. n. Interesting.] [From interess'd, p. p. of the older
form interess, fr. F. int['e]resser, L. interesse. See
- To engage the attention of; to awaken interest in; to excite emotion or passion in, in behalf of a person or thing; as, the subject did not interest him; to interest one in charitable work. To love our native country . . . to be interested in its concerns is natural to all men. --Dryden. A goddess who used to interest herself in marriages. --Addison.
- To be concerned with or engaged in; to affect; to concern; to excite; -- often used impersonally. [Obs.] Or rather, gracious sir, Create me to this glory, since my cause Doth interest this fair quarrel. --Ford.
- To cause or permit to share. [Obs.] The mystical communion of all faithful men is such as maketh every one to be interested in those precious blessings which any one of them receiveth at God's hands. --Hooker. Syn: To concern; excite; attract; entertain; engage; occupy; hold.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Interested'
Attention is the cognitive process of selectively concentrating on one aspect of the environment while ignoring other things. Attention has also been referred to as the allocation of processing resources.
Examples include listening carefully to what someone is saying while ignoring other conversations in a room (the cocktail party effect) or listening to a cell phone conversation while driving a car. Attention is one of the most intensely studied topics within psychology and cognitive neuroscience.
William James, in his textbook Principles of Psychology, remarked:
Attention remains a major area of investigation within education, psychology and neuroscience. Areas of active investigation involve determining the source of the signals that generate attention, the effects of these signals on the tuning properties of sensory neurons, and the relationship between attention and other cognitive processes like working memory and vigilance. A relatively new body of research is investigating the phenomenon of traumatic brain injuries and their effects on attention.[See more about Interested at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Interested'
'Interested' in famous quotation sentence
* One's religion is whatever one is most interested in. - James Barrie
* You must learn day by day, year by year to broaden your horizon. The more things you love, the more you are interested in, the more you enjoy, the more you are indignant about, the more you have left when anything happens. - Ethel Barrymore
Click here for more related quotations on 'Interested'
Interested Sample Sentences in News
- Report: Cowboys interested in signing Michael Sam to practice squad
Report: Cowboys interested in signing Michael Sam to practice squad Read more on this news related to 'Interested'
- Emirates is not interested in Qantas
Airline Emirates is not interested in investing in the international operations of Qantas, the Dubai-based carrier’s chief commercial officer (CCO) said on Monday. In the biggest restructuring step since Qantas was privatized two decades ago, the airline is hiving off its international arm from its domestic business. The move will allow a foreign airline to take Read more on this news related to 'Interested'
- Tottenham not interested in Matija Nastasic
Manchester City are, reportedly, shopping Matija Nastasic and the list of suitors includes Arsenal, Everton and West Ham, but not Tottenham Hotspur. According to Sky Sports, Tottenham Hotspur are not interested in Manchester City defender Matija Nastasic. Many believed that this cleared the way for the player to sign with either Arsenal or Spurs. Read more on this news related to 'Interested'