Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Intemperance'
- the quality of being intemperate [ant: temperance]
- consumption of alcoholic drinks [syn: intemperateness]
- immoderate indulgence of bodily appetites [syn: intemperateness, self-indulgence]
- Intemperance \In*tem"per*ance\, n. [F. intemp['e]rance, L.
intemperantia. See In- not, and Temperance.]
- The act of becoming, or state of being, intemperate; excess in any kind of action or indulgence; any immoderate indulgence of the appetites or passions. God is in every creature; be cruel toward none, neither abuse any by intemperance. --Jer. Taylor. Some, as thou sawest, by violent stroke shall die, By fire, flood, famine, by intemperance more In meats and drinks. --Milton.
- Specifically: Habitual or excessive indulgence in alcoholic liquors.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Intemperance'
Alcohol intoxication (also known as drunkenness or inebriation) is a physiological state that occurs when a person has a high level of ethanol (alcohol) in their blood. Common symptoms of alcohol intoxication include slurred speech, euphoria, impaired balance, loss of muscle coordination (ataxia), flushed face, reddened eyes, reduced inhibition, and erratic behavior. In severe cases, it can cause coma or death.
Toxicologists use the term “alcohol intoxication” to discriminate between alcohol and other toxins.
Acute alcohol intoxication results from a very high level of alcohol in the blood. This term is used by health care providers, often in emergencies.
Alcohol poisoning is an acute and life-threatening condition that requires emergency medical attention. The signs and symptoms of alcohol poisoning include:[See more about Intemperance at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Intemperance'
Intemperance Sample Sentences in News
- Narberth ordered to reinstate fired police officer
Narberth Borough has been ordered by an arbitrator to reinstate a police officer who was fired last year for what was described at the time as “alleged neglect or violation of official duties and inefficiency, neglect, intemperance, disobedience of orders and conduct unbecoming of an officer.” Read more on this news related to 'Intemperance'
- Nile Rodgers Preaches Intemperance on Sprightly 'Do What You Wanna Do'
Last year, after working with Daft Punk on Random Access Memories , Chic main man Nile Rodgers recorded a new solo single called "Do What You Wanna Do" in Ibiza, Spain... Read more on this news related to 'Intemperance'
- Vested interests push asylum propaganda to PROFIT FROM A LUCRATIVE TRADE
I couldn’t help reading over and over The Australian’s editorial of July 7 that said: “Former Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser doesn’t help his standing by likening the return of Tamils to Sri Lanka to handing over Jewish refugees to Nazi Germany. Such intemperance can only damage Mr. Fraser’s cause.” Read more on this news related to 'Intemperance'