Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Intellectual'
- of or relating to the intellect; "his intellectual career"
- of or associated with or requiring the use of the mind; "intellectual problems"; "the triumph of the rational over the animal side of man" [syn: rational, noetic]
- appealing to or using the intellect; "satire is an intellectual weapon"; "intellectual workers engaged in creative literary or artistic or scientific labor"; "has tremendous intellectual sympathy for oppressed people"; "coldly intellectual"; "sort of the intellectual type"; "intellectual literature" [ant: nonintellectual]
- involving intelligence rather than emotions or instinct; "a cerebral approach to the problem"; "cerebral drama" [syn: cerebral] [ant: emotional] n : a person who uses the mind creatively [syn: intellect]
- Intellectual \In`tel*lec"tu*al\, n.
The intellect or understanding; mental powers or faculties.
Her husband, for I view far round, not nigh, Whose
higher intellectual more I shun. --Milton.
I kept her intellectuals in a state of exercise. --De
- Intellectual \In`tel*lec"tu*al\ (?; 135), a. [L. intellectualis:
cf. F. intellectuel.]
- Belonging to, or performed by, the intellect; mental; as, intellectual powers, activities, etc. Logic is to teach us the right use of our reason or intellectual powers. --I. Watts.
- Endowed with intellect; having the power of understanding; having capacity for the higher forms of knowledge or thought; characterized by intelligence or mental capacity; as, an intellectual person. Who would lose, Though full of pain, this intellectual being, Those thoughts that wander through eternity? --Milton.
- Suitable for exercising the intellect; formed by, and existing for, the intellect alone; perceived by the intellect; as, intellectual employments.
- Relating to the understanding; treating of the mind; as, intellectual philosophy, sometimes called ``mental'' philosophy.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Intellectual'
An intellectual is a person who uses intelligence (thought and reason) and critical or analytical reasoning in either a professional or a personal capacity.
‘Intellectual’ can denote three types of persons:
In English ‘intellectual’ conveys the general notion of a literate thinker; its earlier usage, such as in The Evolution of an Intellectual (1920), by John Middleton Murry, connotes little in the way of ‘public’ rather than ‘literary’ activity.
The term ‘Man of Letters’ (‘belletrist’, from the French belles-lettres), has been used in some Western cultures to denote contemporary intellectual men; the term rarely denotes ‘scholars’, and is not synonymous with ‘academic’.[See more about Intellectual at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Intellectual'
'Intellectual' in famous quotation sentence
* What I must do is all that concerns me. This rule, equally arduous in actual and intellectual life, may serve for the whole distinction between greatness and meanness. It is harder because you will always find those who think they know what is your duty better than you know it. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
* The bitterest tragic element in life to be derived from an intellectual source is the belief in a brute Fate or Destiny. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
Click here for more related quotations on 'Intellectual'
Intellectual Sample Sentences in News
- DR. SASWAT MISRA JOINS VRINGO AS INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY COUNSEL
NEW YORK - May 20, 2013 - Vringo, Inc. (NASDAQ: VRNG), a company engaged in the innovation, development and monetization of mobile technologies and intellectual property, today announced that Dr. Saswat ... Read more on this news related to 'Intellectual'
- Brainstorming intellectual property strategies
An intellectual property expert from Hamilton will give her view on creating great brainstorming sessions to a global audience of IP experts this month - and her speech will have nothing to do with the best brand of whiteboard marker. ... Read more on this news related to 'Intellectual'
- Lexington Technology Group to Present at Upcoming Investor Conferences
Lexington Technology Group , an intellectual property management firm, today announced that it will be presenting at the following investor conferences in May: Read more on this news related to 'Intellectual'