Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Injury'
- any physical damage to the body caused by violence or accident or fracture etc. [syn: hurt, harm, trauma]
- an accident that results in physical damage or hurt [syn: accidental injury}]
- a casualty to military personnel resulting from combat [syn: wound, combat injury]
- an act that injures someone
- Injury \In"ju*ry\, n.; pl. Injuries. [OE. injurie, L. injuria,
fr. injurius injurious, wrongful, unjust; pref. in- not +
jus, juris, right,law,justice: cf. F. injure. See Just, a.]
Any damage or violation of, the person, character, feelings,
rights, property, or interests of an individual; that which
injures, or occasions wrong, loss, damage, or detriment;
harm; hurt; loss; mischief; wrong; evil; as, his health was
impaired by a severe injury; slander is an injury to the
For he that doeth injury shall receve that he did evil.
Many times we do injury to a cause by dwelling on
trifling arguments. --I. Watts.
Riot ascends above their loftiest towers, And injury
and outrage. --Milton.
Note: Injury in morals and jurisprudence is the intentional
doing of wrong. --Fleming.
Syn: Harm; hurt; damage; loss; impairment; detriment; wrong;
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Injury'
Trauma or injury refers to "a body wound or shock produced by sudden physical injury, as from violence or accident." can result in secondary complications such as circulatory shock, respiratory failure and death. Resuscitation of a trauma patient often involves multiple management procedures. Trauma is the sixth leading cause of death worldwide, accounting for 10% of all mortality, and is a serious public health problem with significant social and economic costs.
Trauma can be classified by the affected area of the body):
Trauma may also be classified by the affected demographic group (for example, trauma in the pregnant, pediatric, or geriatric patient). They may also be classified by the type of force applied to the body, such as blunt trauma versus penetrating trauma.
Blunt trauma is the leading cause of traumatic death in the United States. Blast injury is a complex cause of polytrauma. It commonly includes both blunt and penetrating trauma and may also be accompanied by a burn injury.[See more about Injury at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Injury'
'Injury' in famous quotation sentence
* Justice consists in doing no injury to men decency in giving them no offense. - Marcus Tullius Cicero De Officiis
* Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears. - Marcus Aurelius
Click here for more related quotations on 'Injury'