Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Iniquity'
- absence of moral or spiritual values; "the powers of darkness" [syn: wickedness, darkness, dark]
- morally objectionable behavior [syn: evil, immorality, wickedness]
- an unjust act [syn: injustice, unfairness]
- Iniquity \In*iq"ui*ty\, n.; pl. Iniquities. [OE. iniquitee, F.
iniquit['e], L. iniquitas, inequality, unfairness, injustice.
- Absence of, or deviation from, just dealing; want of rectitude or uprightness; gross injustice; unrighteousness; wickedness; as, the iniquity of bribery; the iniquity of an unjust judge. Till the world from his perfection fell Into all filth and foul iniquity. --Spenser.
- An iniquitous act or thing; a deed of injustice o? unrighteousness; a sin; a crime. --Milton. Your iniquities have separated between you and your God. --Is. lix. 2.
- A character or personification in the old English moralities, or moral dramas, having the name sometimes of one vice and sometimes of another. See Vice. Acts old Iniquity, and in the fit Of miming gets the opinion of a wit. --B. Jonson.
- Vice \Vice\, n. [F., from L. vitium.]
- A defect; a fault; an error; a blemish; an imperfection; as, the vices of a political constitution; the vices of a horse. Withouten vice of syllable or letter. --Chaucer. Mark the vice of the procedure. --Sir W. Hamilton.
- A moral fault or failing; especially, immoral conduct or
habit, as in the indulgence of degrading appetites;
customary deviation in a single respect, or in general,
from a right standard, implying a defect of natural
character, or the result of training and habits; a harmful
custom; immorality; depravity; wickedness; as, a life of
vice; the vice of intemperance.
I do confess the vices of my blood. --Shak.
220 catflap.bishopston.net dictd 1.11.2/rf on FreeBSD 8.1-STABLE
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Iniquity'
Iniquity was a Danish death metal group. Established in 1989, the band released three full-length albums before parting ways in 2004.
Iniquity was formed in 1989 in Copenhagen, Denmark by Peter Houd, Brian Petrowsky and Morten Hansen. During the first years of the band's history two demo tapes were released and they appeared on several Compilation CDs e.g. on the Fuck You We're from Denmark compilation in 1992 with the song "Torn" (taken from the Entering Deception demo). After that release the band split up for a time but started it up again with Morten Hansen and Brian Petrowsky together with Jacob Olsen (drums and backing vocals) and Carsten Nielsen (keyboards). Morten Hansen left once again and was replaced by Claus Zeeberg (bass), joined in and this line-up recorded a promo tape called Promo '93, followed by a track on the compilation The Very Best Of Progress Red Labels. They toured for some time and recruited Mads Haarløv as lead guitarist. Again, Iniquity loses a member, this time bassist Claus Zeeberg decides to leave, he is replaced by Thomas Christensen. Yet more touring and now it's keyboard player Carsten Nielsen who leaves Iniquity. After an appearance on the live compilation Brutal Youth with two new songs "Prophecy of the Dying Watcher" and "Mockery Retained to Obturate", Haarløv leaves and Lars Friis enters the fold.[See more about Iniquity at Dictionary 3.0 Encyclopedia]
Words and phrases related to 'Iniquity'