Informal Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- not formal; "conservative people unaccustomed to informal dress"; "an informal free-and-easy manner"; "an informal gathering of friends"
- used of spoken and written language
- having or fostering a warm or friendly atmosphere; especially through smallness and informality; "had a cozy chat"; "a relaxed informal manner"; "an intimate cocktail lounge"; "the small room was cozy and intimate"
- not officially recognized or controlled; "an informal agreement"; "a loose organization of the local farmers"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Informal'?
Informal Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Formal is a word used to describe anything that has form or structure. So it is something which is used or done in accordance with rules or ceremonies.
Formal events have rules. 'Formal clothes' or 'formal attire' is a way of dressing to meet the rules for an event, such as a party or wedding. 'Formal attire' can be a suit, a tuxedo or a dress. People from all over the world have their own ideas about 'formal attire'. Most of the time formal attire clothes are the most beautiful or the best clothes a person owns. The opposite of "formal" is informal. Informal clothes are comfortable clothes for general use, e.g. T shirt and jeans. An informal ceremony might be a ceremony which is very relaxed instead of following an exact plan. An informal way to greet a friend might be: "Hi, John!"
Words and phrases related to 'Informal'
Informal Sample Sentences in News
- A decent abode for all
ACCORDING to the 2013 data of the National Statistics Office (NSO), the number of informal settlers in Davao City alone has surpassed more than 13,000 households. In technical terms, informal settlers refer to a household that occupies a lot that is rent-free without the consent of the owner. Read more on this news related to 'Informal'
- ISIS Seen Profiting From Informal Money System In Spain
The extremist group ISIS is exploiting an informal finance network in Spain to pay its fighters, according to Spanish intelligence officials. The system is often used by immigrants to transfer money. Read more on this news related to 'Informal'
- How colorful carts are helping waste workers get noticed
Informal waste workers in Brazil were being ignored, despite their vital work keeping Sao Paulo clean. Enter a street artist who made their carts into works of art. Read more on this news related to 'Informal'