Informal Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- not formal; "conservative people unaccustomed to informal dress"; "an informal free-and-easy manner"; "an informal gathering of friends"
- used of spoken and written language
- having or fostering a warm or friendly atmosphere; especially through smallness and informality; "had a cozy chat"; "a relaxed informal manner"; "an intimate cocktail lounge"; "the small room was cozy and intimate"
- not officially recognized or controlled; "an informal agreement"; "a loose organization of the local farmers"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Informal'?
Informal Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Formal is a word used to describe anything that has form or structure. So it is something which is used or done in accordance with rules or ceremonies.
Formal events have rules. 'Formal clothes' or 'formal attire' is a way of dressing to meet the rules for an event, such as a party or wedding. 'Formal attire' can be a suit, a tuxedo or a dress. People from all over the world have their own ideas about 'formal attire'. Most of the time formal attire clothes are the most beautiful or the best clothes a person owns. The opposite of "formal" is informal. Informal clothes are comfortable clothes for general use, e.g. T shirt and jeans. An informal ceremony might be a ceremony which is very relaxed instead of following an exact plan. An informal way to greet a friend might be: "Hi, John!"
Words and phrases related to 'Informal'
Informal Sample Sentences in News
- Modi, Sharif hold informal talks at Saarc retreat
Kathmandu, Nov 27 (IANS) In a significant development, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif held informal talks during the 18th Saarc Summit retreat Thursday afternoon. Read more on this news related to 'Informal'
- U-Va. associate dean defends policy allowing ‘informal’ resolution of sexual assault complaints
An associate dean of students at the University of Virginia defended the school?s process for punishing students who commit sexual misconduct in a videotaped interview posted online Saturday. Read more on this news related to 'Informal'
- Modi, Sharif hold informal talks at Saarc retreat (Third Lead)
In a significant development, Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif held informal talks during the 18th Saarc Summit retreat Thursday afternoon. Read more on this news related to 'Informal'