Dictionary Meaning and Definition on 'Informal'
Informal Meaning and Definition from WordNet (r) 2.0
- not formal; "conservative people unaccustomed to informal dress"; "an informal free-and-easy manner"; "an informal gathering of friends" [ant: formal]
- not officially recognized or controlled; "an informal agreement"; "a loose organization of the local farmers" [syn: loose]
- used of spoken and written language [ant: formal]
- having or fostering a warm or friendly atmosphere; especially through smallness and informality; "had a cozy chat"; "a relaxed informal manner"; "an intimate cocktail lounge"; "the small room was cozy and intimate" [syn: cozy, intimate]
- Informal \In*form"al\, a. [Pref. in- not + formal.]
- Not in the regular, usual, or established form; not according to official, conventional, prescribed, or customary forms or rules; irregular; hence, without ceremony; as, an informal writting, proceeding, or visit.
- Deranged in mind; out of one's senses. [Obs.] These poor informal women. --Shak.
Wikipedia Meaning and Definition on 'Informal'
- Informal sector: The informal sector or informal economy is the part of an economy that is not tax ed, monitored by any form of government or included in ...
- Informal logic: The precise nature and definition of informal logic are matters of some dispute Ralph H. Johnson and J. Anthony Blair define informal ...
- Informal fallacy: An informal fallacy is an argument whose stated premises fail to support their proposed conclusion The deviation in an informal fallacy ...
- Informal attire: Informal attire, also called International business attire or Western business attire is a dress code , typified by a suit and necktie , ...
Words and phrases related to 'Informal'