Informal Meaning and Definition in Dictionary
Definitions from Wordnet 2.0
- not formal; "conservative people unaccustomed to informal dress"; "an informal free-and-easy manner"; "an informal gathering of friends"
- used of spoken and written language
- having or fostering a warm or friendly atmosphere; especially through smallness and informality; "had a cozy chat"; "a relaxed informal manner"; "an intimate cocktail lounge"; "the small room was cozy and intimate"
- not officially recognized or controlled; "an informal agreement"; "a loose organization of the local farmers"
Would you like to add your own explaination to this word 'Informal'?
Informal Meaning and Definition in Wikipedia
Formal is a word used to describe anything that has form or structure. So it is something which is used or done in accordance with rules or ceremonies.
Formal events have rules. 'Formal clothes' or 'formal attire' is a way of dressing to meet the rules for an event, such as a party or wedding. 'Formal attire' can be a suit, a tuxedo or a dress. People from all over the world have their own ideas about 'formal attire'. Most of the time formal attire clothes are the most beautiful or the best clothes a person owns. The opposite of "formal" is informal. Informal clothes are comfortable clothes for general use, e.g. T shirt and jeans. An informal ceremony might be a ceremony which is very relaxed instead of following an exact plan. An informal way to greet a friend might be: "Hi, John!"
Words and phrases related to 'Informal'
Informal Sample Sentences in News
- Wednesday's Dump and Chase: Informal Practice
On Tuesday the Predators held an informal practice with some of the team. Players like Pekka Rinne, Derek Roy, and Shea Weber informally skated, informally shot the puck, and began to create informal chemistry in hopes of formally reestablishing it later at training camp. Reporters got to ask informal questions like, "what do you like to wear to a Sunday BBQ? Read more on this news related to 'Informal'
NOTICE OF INFORMAL PROBATE OF WILL AND INFORMAL APPOINTMENT OF PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVE AND NOTICE TO CREDITORS STATE OF MINNESOTA COUNTY OF ANOKA DISTRICT COURT TENTH JUDICIAL DISTRICT Court File No.: 02-PR-14-509 In Re: Estate of Betty Ann Sampson, also known as Betty Sampson, Decedent. Notice is given that an Application for Informal Probate of Will [...] Read more on this news related to 'Informal'
- Mriya Agro Holding: Informal meeting with noteholders
Read more on this news related to 'Informal'